The Student Room Group

What programming language to learn?

I'm thinking of starting to do some intensive programming for the remainder of the summer, currently i have basic skills in HTML & CSS due to enrolling on the course in Code academy. My question is, for a beginner what would be a reasonable programming language to learn which isn't too complex and can be easily grasped.
Thank You.
I'd say Python or possibly JavaScript - both available on Codecademy :smile:
learn as many as possible, once you get a programming/development/engineering job, focus on only those that your role requires
Reply 3
Original post by remtal
I'm thinking of starting to do some intensive programming for the remainder of the summer, currently i have basic skills in HTML & CSS due to enrolling on the course in Code academy. My question is, for a beginner what would be a reasonable programming language to learn which isn't too complex and can be easily grasped.
Thank You.

Firstly, you should decide on what you want to program (whether for web development, software developing and such). Python is the best beginner friendly language, and can be used for a lot of things.

Here's a list of free ebooks to learn python (also use codewars, and code academy).
Reply 4
I want to learn programming mainly to learn how to create apps
Reply 5
Python is too easy and will give you a false idea of how hard programming can be, I would go with C
Real programmers use Brain****

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain****
Start with something simple like Matlab

Then move onto C
I started with Javascript- found it too hard. Then moved to Python- found it too easy!
C++/C# are both good choices. Not too difficult and very useful
Java.

it will help you with your university studies.
there are loads of jobs for people who know java
android apps are written in java

python will do neither of those things
Original post by JW22
Python is too easy and will give you a false idea of how hard programming can be, I would go with C

C? nah

C++
Original post by remtal
Thank You.

Visual Basic is easy to learn

A more advanced language would be java

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending