The Student Room Group

Resitting gcse in sixthform?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AAD1L786
Thank you! You've made me less worried now considering all the options I have! Do you work for sixth form by any chance? I'm going to be going to Luton Sixth form. I believe I am going to be getting a high C however I need a B. Also do you know how much the fee is for resits?
Thank you again!

No problem! I don't work for a sixth form, I just know people who've been in the same situation as you. It's a stressful time I know but try not to worry too much. If you do end up with a high C, it would almost certainly be worth trying to get your paper remarked. I can't remember the fee for resits, but I don't think it's phenomenal, I guess it would be around £30-£40? Not too sure though...
Reply 21
Original post by L0st45
No problem! I don't work for a sixth form, I just know people who've been in the same situation as you. It's a stressful time I know but try not to worry too much. If you do end up with a high C, it would almost certainly be worth trying to get your paper remarked. I can't remember the fee for resits, but I don't think it's phenomenal, I guess it would be around £30-£40? Not too sure though...

Thats fine :smile: Thank you!
Reply 22
Original post by L0st45

The other people who have been in this situation has it turne out good for them? Did they get their courses? (Sorry for the questions, really worried and nervous)
Reply 23
The other people who have been in this situation has it turne out good for them? Did they get their courses? (Sorry for the questions, really worried and nervous)

Ask as many questions as you need, I honestly don't mind. For most of them it has, just keep positive, prove that you're dedicated to the subjects you want to take and it should all be okay. The only time it hasn't worked out is when the teachers believed they weren't hard-working or dedicated to the subjects, despite giving them a chance to prove themselves. You've just got to prove you're dedicated and willing to learn, however that may be.
Reply 24
Original post by L0st45
Ask as many questions as you need, I honestly don't mind. For most of them it has, just keep positive, prove that you're dedicated to the subjects you want to take and it should all be okay. The only time it hasn't worked out is when the teachers believed they weren't hard-working or dedicated to the subjects, despite giving them a chance to prove themselves. You've just got to prove you're dedicated and willing to learn, however that may be.

I am hoenstly hardworking, I put sooo much time in revising it was unbelieveable but i messed up on the maths exam because I was so anxious and so focused i forgot to look at the time and i looked up at the clock one and there was 10 seconds left and I had many questions that I could have easily answered towards the back. I perpared sooo much and most of the questions could have been easily answered. I was annoyed because I knew the methodand how to get the answer but didn't watch the time. Completely my fault. So are you sure sixth form will let me do the science a levels and retake maths together and after i get the results either let me continue doing a level science or switch me to btec based on the results of the retake. HOPEFULLY I DON'T DO THE RETAKE AND GET THE B!
Do you know how much?

£32, something like that^_^
Reply 26
I am hoenstly hardworking, I put sooo much time in revising it was unbelieveable but i messed up on the maths exam because I was so anxious and so focused i forgot to look at the time and i looked up at the clock one and there was 10 seconds left and I had many questions that I could have easily answered towards the back. I perpared sooo much and most of the questions could have been easily answered. I was annoyed because I knew the methodand how to get the answer but didn't watch the time. Completely my fault. So are you sure sixth form will let me do the science a levels and retake maths together and after i get the results either let me continue doing a level science or switch me to btec based on the results of the retake. HOPEFULLY I DON'T DO THE RETAKE AND GET THE B!

I believe you, you'll probably be surprised on Thursday when you get your result. It's hard not to think about GCSEs as you're so close to results day, but just try to relax for the next few days. Are you on Edexcel maths exam board? If the grade boundaries are released tomorrow, it might be worth looking at the boundary for a B grade, however it may make you worry more. I can't be 100% sure as each sixth form works differently, but I think you'd have a pretty good chance. And remember, if you get a high C grade, push for a remark! Also what job do you want to do? They may switch you to BTEC science, but again they may give you a chance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by L0st45
I believe you, you'll probably be surprised on Thursday when you get your result. It's hard not to think about GCSEs as you're so close to results day, but just try to relax for the next few days. Are you on Edexcel maths exam board? If the grade boundaries are released tomorrow, it might be worth looking at the boundary for a B grade, however it may make you worry more. I can't be 100% sure as each sixth form works differently, but I think you'd have a pretty good chance. And remember, if you get a high C grade, push for a remark! Also what job do you want to do? They may switch you to BTEC science, but again they may give you a chance.

I don't really want to do BTEC science because I am really strong at science and I want to do something o the medical side. Perhaps a pharmacist. Yes I am doing edexcel thats why I am worrying soo much because I know that the grade boundaries will be released tomorrow. Do you know any information or heard of any information about luton sixth form and what they do? Thats where I am going to be going!
P.S. Thank you for taking time out and replying/helping me! Apperciate it! :smile:
Reply 28
I don't really want to do BTEC science because I am really strong at science and I want to do something o the medical side. Perhaps a pharmacist. Yes I am doing edexcel thats why I am worrying soo much because I know that the grade boundaries will be released tomorrow. Do you know any information or heard of any information about luton sixth form and what they do? Thats where I am going to be going!
P.S. Thank you for taking time out and replying/helping me! Apperciate it! :smile:

Your strength in science sounds promising to me. That might enhance your potential in doing Biology and Chemistry over the BTEC course. No, I haven't heard much about Luton Sixth Form, what are their results like? I think you'll be fine to be honest, keep having faith. And it's no problem.
Reply 29
Original post by L0st45
Your strength in science sounds promising to me. That might enhance your potential in doing Biology and Chemistry over the BTEC course. No, I haven't heard much about Luton Sixth Form, what are their results like? I think you'll be fine to be honest, keep having faith. And it's no problem.

Thanks, I'll leave it there. i'm pretty much going to be thinking about the resutls and the grade boundaries today. I'll catch up with you tomorrow once the grade boundaries have been realised. Probably going to stay awake to find out!
Reply 30
Original post by L0st45

Hey! I emailed one of the sixtj form members and they said if you want to retake maths you cant do the courses at the same time abd even if you get the required grade they cant give me the courses so late?????
Reply 31
Hey! I emailed one of the sixtj form members and they said if you want to retake maths you cant do the courses at the same time abd even if you get the required grade they cant give me the courses so late?????

Oh wow seriously?! I've never known any of my friends in that situation before, that's very tight. Our Sixth Form allowed you to retake whilst taking the course. Have you checked the grade boundaries for a B grade in Maths for 2016 yet?
Reply 32
Original post by L0st45
Oh wow seriously?! I've never known any of my friends in that situation before, that's very tight. Our Sixth Form allowed you to retake whilst taking the course. Have you checked the grade boundaries for a B grade in Maths for 2016 yet?

I am absolutely guttered. They said it does not work like that. Also I saw the edexcel grade boundary and it has been the highest ever. 2009 was the last time a B was 105. Last years paper was 95 to get a B?! Hopefully I'll get the B. If I get a C i might do BTEC LEVEL 3 Applied Science. Do you know much about that? Is it Biology Chemistry?
Reply 33
Tbh reading some of the posts here are crazy. Failing maths in my school is a big no no. Like even in the massive off chance that they accept you with a fail in maths (in which all your other grades would have to be A/A*), they absolutely will not support you in retaking it. In fact, if you fail your retake in my school, you simply get kicked out. It's interesting to see that some other sixth forms actually help their students to gain that C in a retake.
Reply 34
I am absolutely guttered. They said it does not work like that. Also I saw the edexcel grade boundary and it has been the highest ever. 2009 was the last time a B was 105. Last years paper was 95 to get a B?! Hopefully I'll get the B. If I get a C i might do BTEC LEVEL 3 Applied Science. Do you know much about that? Is it Biology Chemistry?

That's such a shame, what a tough Sixth Form! How was your grade if you don't mind me asking? I don't know much about BTEC Level 3's at all unfortunately, that would be better off discussed with your Sixth Form.
Reply 35
Original post by L0st45
That's such a shame, what a tough Sixth Form! How was your grade if you don't mind me asking? I don't know much about BTEC Level 3's at all unfortunately, that would be better off discussed with your Sixth Form.

I got an A* for science B for English but C for Maths. I was 3 marks off.
Reply 36
I got an A* for science B for English but C for Maths. I was 3 marks off.

I'd say it would be worth getting your maths remarked, however, it costs £33.20 per paper. Has a teacher approached you about the situation yet? Well done on your Maths and English grades!
Original post by Vyres
A sixth form is not the same as a college. Sixth forms don't have to support your resit, so if that is the case for you, you'd have to sit the exam as a private candidate which means that the school would have no affiliation with your examination. If your school does allow resits (with their support) then sure you can resit maths in November. But let's think positively, and hope that you got the grade that you need.

if i resit an exams privately in november will i have to tell my sixth form i have resat or can i just tell them the higher grade and not say i have resat?

Quick Reply

Latest