The Student Room Group

URGENT IB vs A Levels

Hi, I'm about to start my first year of sixth form and I have a choice between:
A Levels - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry
IB - HL Maths, Physics, German, SL English, Geography, Chemistry
The IB course I have an offer for is my dream programme (apart from English but I'll survive and I'm attracted to the breath it gives anyway) however the sixth form is very new and not as experienced as the sixth form that I have an offer to do A Levels at, which is 'the best state sixth form in the UK'. However several students have dropped out at the A Level college due to high expectations, stress and pressure to excel.
After sixth form I would like to study a astrophysics/earth science degree most probably abroad in Germany, Swizterland, Canada or the Netherlands? I will still apply for some UK unis but it just doesn't really appeal to me.
The CAS (voluntary/extracurricular) element of IB isn't a problem as I already do enough extracurricular to cover that. Is it worth doing IB since it is very stressful?? I am a very bright student (12 A/A*s at GCSE) but is 40+ points actually achievable? Most universities abroad accept A Levels anyway and I'd do an online German course at the Goethe-Institut to cover the language requirements if I did A Levels.
Which to choose???
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by CatherineJones23
Hi, I'm about to start my first year of sixth form and I have a choice between:
A Levels - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry
IB - HL Maths, Physics, German, SL English, Geography, Chemistry
The IB course I have an offer for is my dream programme (apart from English but I'll survive and I'm attracted to the breath it gives anyway) however the sixth form is very new and not as experienced as the sixth form that I have an offer to do A Levels at, which is 'the best state sixth form in the UK'. However several students have dropped out at the A Level college due to high expectations, stress and pressure to excel.
After sixth form I would like to study a astrophysics/earth science degree most probably abroad in Germany, Swizterland, Canada or the Netherlands? I will still apply for some UK unis but it just doesn't really appeal to me.
The CAS (voluntary/extracurricular) element of IB isn't a problem as I already do enough extracurricular to cover that. Is it worth doing IB since it is very stressful?? I am a very bright student (12 A/A*s at GCSE) but is 40+ points actually achievable? Most universities abroad accept A Levels anyway and I'd do an online German course at the Goethe-Institut to cover the language requirements if I did A Levels.
Which to choose???

The short answer is I think it would be more beneficial for you to study IB since you wish to go to uni abroad including Canada and Europe. IB is usually a standard qualification at global institutions, whilst A-levels are only recognized in certain countries - although there's many countries that allow it, IB would look a lot better, especially with so much competition.

IB is definitely more stressful because it's considered a lot harder and of course, you'll be doing more subjects all at once.

But from your GCSE grades it sounds like you are more than capable of studying IB. I say go for the IB!

Quick Reply

Latest