The Student Room Group

Btec vs a-level - med

Follow up from my other post, in simple words;

I want to get into medicine, having not done well in AS-level exams would a BTEC level 3 be acceptable to start from or should I resit my AS?
You can do a level 3 BTEC in something like Applied Science and get onto a Foundation course but won't get direct entry with BTEC. Also, I have heard the foundation courses are extremely competitive for medicine so it will be hard to get on one. If you were to resit AS you could be considered for direct entry for medicine but it is very competitive so they may not accept you because you resit and someone else didn't. Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by suraj_keshwala98
You can do a level 3 BTEC in something like Applied Science and get onto a Foundation course but won't get direct entry with BTEC. Also, I have heard the foundation courses are extremely competitive for medicine so it will be hard to get on one. If you were to resit AS you could be considered for direct entry for medicine but it is very competitive so they may not accept you because you resit and someone else didn't. Good luck

Thank you! Do I stand a better chance resitting or BTEC because I honestly don't know what route to take, the longer one or competitive one?
What did you get at AS? Try and get your teachers to predict you 3As and if not then reapply next year with achieved grades
Reply 4
Original post by HopelessMedic
What did you get at AS? Try and get your teachers to predict you 3As and if not then reapply next year with achieved grades

I didn't even get a grade, that's how bad it is. My advisors were telling me about the BTEC route which is long but it might be my style of learning and achieving but I'm a bit unsure of how I should go about this
Original post by runningcat
I didn't even get a grade, that's how bad it is. My advisors were telling me about the BTEC route which is long but it might be my style of learning and achieving but I'm a bit unsure of how I should go about this

Do you mean you got 3Us? If so then maybe you should reconsider medicine as a degree, it only gets harder as far as I'm aware
Thank you! Do I stand a better chance resitting or BTEC because I honestly don't know what route to take, the longer one or competitive one?

I am not an expert on this, a careers adviser at your college or elsewhere would be able to answer this better but, I have heard that foundation medicine courses are more competitive than the medicine course its self, so I would advise resiting but it would still be unlikely you would get on medicine, unless you do extremely well at the resit and the following year in.

Something you should take into consideration is your grades do you think if you resit you would be able to achieve the grades?

I know that Leeds uni offer a foundation science course and they only take 5 people a year onto the medicine course after completion of the foundation year so you can see how competitive it really is. I would try to see if there are other aspects of biology or chemistry you are interested in and pursue that as medicine is one of the most competitive courses there is and they will more than likely look down on you for resiting unless you have extremely good grades.
Reply 7
Do you mean you got 3Us? If so then maybe you should reconsider medicine as a degree, it only gets harder as far as I'm aware

Maybe so, but I have been so sure of doing this, I just think I can go about this a different way, the question is how?
I'm getting my papers back because I have serious concerns about what I've got
Maybe so, but I have been so sure of doing this, I just think I can go about this a different way, the question is how?
I'm getting my papers back because I have serious concerns about what I've got

Do any of your grades count towards the a-level grade? Cause if not then just work really hard this year and get 3As which mean you can apply for 2018 entry. Don't resit the year as it severely restricts your options, but I don't know about Btec
You will not be able to go on a medicine course straight from a BTEC. As others have said if your A levels haven't gone to plan then you may struggle with a medicine degree. Have you looked at general biology/bio medicine degrees? You would be able to do a BTEC and get on one of those courses. I know some universities let you transfer to medicine after the first year of a general biology degree. However it will likely be very competitive and you will need top grades in order to transfer. Some people also choose to study medicine after they have got a biology degree first, but again it is likely that you will need a first or a 2.1 to even be considered. My advice to you would be to do a BTEC in applied science and work out exactly what it is you like, there are so many different biological degrees you just need to find the one you like.
Reply 10
Do any of your grades count towards the a-level grade? Cause if not then just work really hard this year and get 3As which mean you can apply for 2018 entry. Don't resit the year as it severely restricts your options, but I don't know about Btec

Bio, Chem and Physics don't count at AS. I am thinking of doing them privately as well as BTEC alongside because it might be worth something
Reply 11
Original post by Caraphernelia
You will not be able to go on a medicine course straight from a BTEC. As others have said if your A levels haven't gone to plan then you may struggle with a medicine degree. Have you looked at general biology/bio medicine degrees? You would be able to do a BTEC and get on one of those courses. I know some universities let you transfer to medicine after the first year of a general biology degree. However it will likely be very competitive and you will need top grades in order to transfer. Some people also choose to study medicine after they have got a biology degree first, but again it is likely that you will need a first or a 2.1 to even be considered. My advice to you would be to do a BTEC in applied science and work out exactly what it is you like, there are so many different biological degrees you just need to find the one you like.

I've seen some university requirements and the ones I have seen do consider and accept BTECs with an a-level on the side. Although im doing some more digging to help me out in this situation
Bio, Chem and Physics don't count at AS. I am thinking of doing them privately as well as BTEC alongside because it might be worth something

Firstly forget about the BTEC if you want to do medicine. Secondly work as hard as you can this year to achieve 3As, and reapply for 2018 entry if you get this. If you don't get the grades then maybe medicine isn't for you, because you should capable of getting the required grades. If you only slightly miss the grades then you may also have a chance, but realistically you need min of 3As. Also you wont be able to apply this year, so you could maybe get some work experience/voluntary work sorted as well
Reply 13
Firstly forget about the BTEC if you want to do medicine. Secondly work as hard as you can this year to achieve 3As, and reapply for 2018 entry if you get this. If you don't get the grades then maybe medicine isn't for you, because you should capable of getting the required grades. If you only slightly miss the grades then you may also have a chance, but realistically you need min of 3As. Also you wont be able to apply this year, so you could maybe get some work experience/voluntary work sorted as well

Thank you, I will try again for the grades and work a heck of a-lot harder. I need to think and spend my time wisely.
I've seen some university requirements and the ones I have seen do consider and accept BTECs with an a-level on the side. Although im doing some more digging to help me out in this situation

Whilst they say this in reality it is highly unlikely they'll accept you, Medicine is a highly oversubscribed course and they will tend to chose applicants with A-levels over someone with a BTEC. I was always told at college that no matter how good our BTEC grades we shouldn't waste an application on medicine as they just wouldn't even consider us. It's too competitive. However, if you get good grades in your BTEC then you should easily be able to be accepted on other biological degrees even at Russel Group/ Red Brick Uni's

Quick Reply

Latest