The Student Room Group

GDL vs LLB from low Uni Who is better? Magic Circle

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Not to be the bearer of bad news - MC firms often require at least AAB at A-Level (Eg. http://www.linklatersgraduates.co.uk/application-process)
Original post by Dewsy
Not to be the bearer of bad news - MC firms often require at least AAB at A-Level (Eg. http://www.linklatersgraduates.co.uk/application-process)

This should be taken with a pinch of salt I think. Many students apply for TCs in their second year of university, at which stage A-levels are some of the most recent academic results they have. For someone with three years of university behind them I should think they will matter less.*
Reply 22
Original post by billy_k
So let's say that you are an employer at a Magic circle firm. Which one would you hire?

Applicant one:
Has a First class Law degree LLB from Manchester Met Uni (Low ranked uni) but has then gone on to get an Oxford BCL. They have also passed the New York bar (as they could with the LLB)

Applicant Two:
Has a Politics degree (First class) from the University of York
Then has completed the GDL and has achieved a high grade.

I think you're putting too much of an emphasis on the universities the applicants attended instead of their actual degree; as long you as you achieve a first in llb law then you should not be hampered when applying for firms. And to refer to your question, I think most employers whether they like to admit it or not would prefer the one with llb law as it's the most rich academically speaking; the level of legal understanding and knowledge applicant one has will far exceed that of applicant two because the amount of the time they spent studying law. There's also the fact that there is this unsaid stigma of pursing a GDL as it's associated with the notion of being unable to to meet the grade requirements of llb law, so they pursue an easier degree such as politics and use it as a leverage to do a little bit of law.
Original post by mereum
I think you're putting too much of an emphasis on the universities the applicants attended instead of their actual degree; as long you as you achieve a first in llb law then you should not be hampered when applying for firms.

I'm not sure about this. You will find far more people with non-law Russell Group 2.1s at good law firms than you will find people with LLB 1sts from lower-ranked universities.*
Original post by mereum
And to refer to your question, I think most employers whether they like to admit it or not would prefer the one with llb law as it's the most rich academically speaking; the level of legal understanding and knowledge applicant one has will far exceed that of applicant two because the amount of the time they spent studying law. There's also the fact that there is this unsaid stigma of pursing a GDL as it's associated with the notion of being unable to to meet the grade requirements of llb law, so they pursue an easier degree such as politics and use it as a leverage to do a little bit of law.

Again, this isn't really borne out by observation. Just under half of my own intake is made up of LLB grads, and this is quite typical.
Reply 24
Original post by TurboCretin
I'm not sure about this. You will find far more people with non-law Russell Group 2.1s at good law firms than you will find people with LLB 1sts from lower-ranked universities.*

Again, this isn't really borne out by observation. Just under half of my own intake is made up of LLB grads, and this is quite typical.

It's pretty rare to get a first in law, especially at a lower tier university because of the likelihood of their students having average or sub-par A-levels, thus accounting for why there are more people with 2:1 at good law firms than those with firsts from lower-ranked universities.
Original post by mereum
It's pretty rare to get a first in law, especially at a lower tier university because of the likelihood of their students having average or sub-par A-levels, thus accounting for why there are more people with 2:1 at good law firms than those with firsts from lower-ranked universities.

There are fewer people with any results in any degree from lower-ranked universities, 1st in LLB or otherwise. That suggests to me that it is right to place emphasis on the university the candidate attended. Getting a 1st if you attend a lower-ranked university is important precisely because it's from a lower-ranked university.*
Original post by mereum

It is no more rare to get a first at a lower ranked university than it is at an elite institution. The course at a university which asks for AAA is more difficult than a course which asks for CCC, which means even a first may well not particularly impressive if it's from a poor university.
Original post by mereum
I think you're putting too much of an emphasis on the universities the applicants attended instead of their actual degree; as long you as you achieve a first in llb law then you should not be hampered when applying for firms. And to refer to your question, I think most employers whether they like to admit it or not would prefer the one with llb law as it's the most rich academically speaking; the level of legal understanding and knowledge applicant one has will far exceed that of applicant two because the amount of the time they spent studying law. There's also the fact that there is this unsaid stigma of pursing a GDL as it's associated with the notion of being unable to to meet the grade requirements of llb law, so they pursue an easier degree such as politics and use it as a leverage to do a little bit of law.

You are part of the 1% of people on here who actually know what they are talking about. I was just about to delete my account as I was shocked at the elitist people on here lol. I ended up ringing Freshfields and Allen and Overy, and they made it clear that they do not pay much attention to the uni attended. They look for good grades and experience.
Original post by mereum

The university where I am going to, a girl actually did achieve a first. She is now working at lawyers without borders in California.
Original post by Conzy210
It is no more rare to get a first at a lower ranked university than it is at an elite institution. The course at a university which asks for AAA is more difficult than a course which asks for CCC, which means even a first may well not particularly impressive if it's from a poor university.

Just to clarify, I contacted Freshfields and Allen and Overy. They said they do not place too much emphasis on where the applicant attended university. Rather, they are more interested in the grades achieved and experience the applicant has. The women said and I quote: ' top grades and experience is merit within it's self'
Original post by billy_k
Just to clarify, I contacted Freshfields and Allen and Overy. They said they do not place too much emphasis on where the applicant attended university. Rather, they are more interested in the grades achieved and experience the applicant has. The women said and I quote: ' top grades and experience is merit within it's self'

Take that with a pinch of salt. If you just look at their intakes you'll find that actually a huge emphasis is put on where you attend university.
Reply 31
Original post by billy_k

If you go to Man Met, you will need a first. That still might not be enough. It's harsh but some lawyers will still not take your degree seriously.

University isn't the be all and end all, but in my experience, it is looked at in conjunction with your grades. So, you can get away with a low 2.1 from LSE, but definitely not from Man Met.

I did a vac scheme at a magic circle firm, and all but one student studied at Russell Group universities (20-24 students). Aside from the non-russell group uni, the 'weakest' universities were Warwick and Bristol, which are hardly middling universities.
Original post by billy_k

You find the occasional trainee at top-30 firms who came from low-ranking universities, but they are usually very impressive in other respects.*

You have to understand that firms like A&O and Freshfields are setting examples in how they hire and there is increasing social pressure on them to hire from non-traditional backgrounds. That includes from non-traditional universities: they can hardly be seen to be actively discouraging students at these universities from applying. While I am sure that a good candidate from a university like Manchester Met has every chance of making it into a good firm, for grad recruiters to downplay the importance of the university you attended seems disingenuous to me (considering who they actually end up hiring).*
(edited 7 years ago)
Everything Conzy210 and TurboCretin say is right . I have a close relative who is a trainee at one of the firms you contacted - they are non - Law and Oxbridge . About 50% of their intake are non - law and a vast number are from Oxbridge . Most of the others attended places such as Durham /LSE / Exeter etc and some from abroad . There may be the odd one from a lower -rank university but they would probably be a career changer or have a phenomenal CV ( such as owning a business etc )
Reply 34
For sure the Magic Circle would prefer the York non-law and then GDL. Sorry but come on, Man Met will never cut it for a MC firm. To start most would people mock you in saying "oh, you weren't clever enough to go to the University of Manchester", which for starters is Russell Group like York, respected, and a fair few graduates from there end up at MC or city firms as per the link below. If you scour Linkedin too that will also show this, especially recent graduates.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

MC firms love the Russell Group and Oxbridge, and as others have said, scour their trainee intake from the past few years and you'll see what they mean. You'll find very few non RG graduates, and those that are, are from much better unis than Man Met. I'd say the best non RG for the MC is Leicester. Any lower than that, not a chance.

Finally, your A levels are not good enough for the MC, because most MC firms and the city firms have filters of AAB, some ABB. You have ABCC, which is pretty poor for applying to a MC or City firm. Regional firms and lower; yes you have a chance. It does not matter even if you magically ended up at York cause the catch is your A level grades, so then its not your uni that lets you down, but your prior grades. The filters are usually at the very beginning of an application form asking do you have AAB/ABB at A level, and if you do not have the grades, thats you gone. No application possible.

Sounds harsh but stop kidding yourself, I'm afraid you wont be the next Harvey Specter raking it in at an MC firm.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ORW
For sure the Magic Circle would prefer the York non-law and then GDL. Sorry but come on, Man Met will never cut it for a MC firm. To start most would people mock you in saying "oh, you weren't clever enough to go to the University of Manchester", which for starters is Russell Group like York, respected, and a fair few graduates from there end up at MC or city firms as per the link below. If you scour Linkedin too that will also show this, especially recent graduates.

MC firms love the Russell Group and Oxbridge, and as others have said, scour their trainee intake from the past few years and you'll see what they mean. You'll find very few non RG graduates, and those that are, are from much better unis than Man Met. I'd say the best non RG for the MC is Leicester. Any lower than that, not a chance.

Finally, your A levels are not good enough for the MC, because most MC firms and the city firms have filters of AAB, some ABB. You have ABCC, which is pretty poor for applying to a MC or City firm. Regional firms and lower; yes you have a chance. It does not matter even if you magically ended up at York cause the catch is your A level grades, so then its not your uni that lets you down, but your prior grades. The filters are usually at the very beginning of an application form asking do you have AAB/ABB at A level, and if you do not have the grades, thats you gone. No application possible.

Sounds harsh but stop kidding yourself, I'm afraid you wont be the next Harvey Specter raking it in at an MC firm.

I thought this as well until I actually spoke to some grad recruiters (MC included). I haven't been able to find anyone from top firms who says their firm uses A-level filters. It would be quite short-sighted of them to do so I think - I got ABB at A-level (missing many top firms' AAB requirement) but a 1st from UCL after that (along with work experience, vac schemes, positions of responsibility and the rest).*

This isn't to say that A-levels don't matter.*
Reply 36
Original post by billy_k
So let's say that you are an employer at a Magic circle firm. Which one would you hire?

Applicant one:
Has a First class Law degree LLB from Manchester Met Uni (Low ranked uni) but has then gone on to get an Oxford BCL. They have also passed the New York bar (as they could with the LLB)

Applicant Two:
Has a Politics degree (First class) from the University of York
Then has completed the GDL and has achieved a high grade.

Those 2 candidates will be judged on their potential to do well. The former potentially has a more interesting story and that'll appeal to some. Someone who goes on from Man Met to do the BCL will have my full respect. So don't listen those on this thread that say otherwise, some probably haven't even gone to uni yet!

The York guy will be your typical candidate but his credentials alone won't be sufficient for a TC.

Either way, just work hard to do as well as possible. If you are at a 'lower' uni, don't let it hold you back. Attend as many open days/presentations as possible. Ask good questions and it'll help you stand out. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by TurboCretin
I thought this as well until I actually spoke to some grad recruiters (MC included). I haven't been able to find anyone from top firms who says their firm uses A-level filters. It would be quite short-sighted of them to do so I think - I got ABB at A-level (missing many top firms' AAB requirement) but a 1st from UCL after that (along with work experience, vac schemes, positions of responsibility and the rest).*

This isn't to say that A-levels don't matter.*

It's not just necessarily filters though, the smallest margins between candidates can mean an interview/no interview. You clearly tick the boxes in terms of a 1st from one of the best unis in the country and it would be stupid to filter you out based on 1 grade lower at A-level. As harsh as it is, York isn't UCL. MC firms get inundated with applications with people with flawless A-levels and firsts/high 2.1s from the 'next tier of RG' (Take that classification as a very broad generalisation - I mean non-Oxbridge/non-London unis) and my gut would say that A-levels would be one of the things they would use to distinguish people.*

That being said, people often forget that often recruiters look at your application as a whole, and don't break down individual elements too much. If you tick the boxes elsewhere but have one part which slightly drags you down, it may not be the end of the world.

One last thing - I'm a trainee at an MC firm. I got A*AA at a level and haven't spoken to anyone who got lower (admittedly, A-levels are barely ever talked about!) and I think the 'lowest' UK uni on our intake is probably Birmingham in terms of law rankings.
Original post by ORW

Decided not to work in the U.K. Once I graduate with the LLB I will be either moving to the US or Canada. The UK law life does not appeal to me after seeing first hand. I do not want to work 13 hours daily in a MC firm, only to go home to a TINY apartment in London due to the silly prices. Instead, I would be happier living in a average house in Vancouver, BC whilst earning a decent wage. Thanks anyways :smile:
Original post by Dewsy
It's not just necessarily filters though, the smallest margins between candidates can mean an interview/no interview. You clearly tick the boxes in terms of a 1st from one of the best unis in the country and it would be stupid to filter you out based on 1 grade lower at A-level. As harsh as it is, York isn't UCL. MC firms get inundated with applications with people with flawless A-levels and firsts/high 2.1s from the 'next tier of RG' (Take that classification as a very broad generalisation - I mean non-Oxbridge/non-London unis) and my gut would say that A-levels would be one of the things they would use to distinguish people.*

That being said, people often forget that often recruiters look at your application as a whole, and don't break down individual elements too much. If you tick the boxes elsewhere but have one part which slightly drags you down, it may not be the end of the world.

One last thing - I'm a trainee at an MC firm. I got A*AA at a level and haven't spoken to anyone who got lower (admittedly, A-levels are barely ever talked about!) and I think the 'lowest' UK uni on our intake is probably Birmingham in terms of law rankings.

Decided not to work in the U.K. Once I graduate with the LLB I will be either moving to the US or Canada. The UK law life does not appeal to me after seeing first hand. I do not want to work 13 hours daily in a MC firm, only to go home to a TINY apartment in London due to the silly prices. Instead, I would be happier living in a average house in Vancouver, BC whilst earning a decent wage. Thanks anyways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending