The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mariachi
it would be terrible

it would further polarize an already tense situation : remember, the UK is not divided into "Muslim areas" and "non-Muslim areas"

we should not further stoke communities one against the other : and the call to prayer is, in many ways, a claim for ownership of a territory , by "ruling the sound waves"

best

It would be awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
It would be awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
while this may have some appeal for you, I think that you are misjudging the situation of Muslims in the UK

best
Reply 282
Original post by minjinoor

DON'T YOU GET IT - you do not live in a muslim country!

For how long?
over my bloody dead body
Original post by simon_g
over my bloody dead body

lets hope it doesn't come to that
Original post by Infamous*
lets hope it doesn't come to that

aye, but i'd make sure i'd drag few of these bearded bastards down to hell with me :s-smilie:
Original post by inhuman
No? Why are you putting words in my mouth that I didn't say.

I just showed you a country other than Saudi Arabia where being Christian is difficult. There are many articles even describing a slow exodus of Christians from the Middle East.

You said those who criticise ISIS are sent to prison so I thought you meant the government supported them.
Anyway, my point is, Egypt, while very effin far from perfect, is a better representative of the Muslim populace than Saudi Arabia. Yea Christians have a harder life, but not as in Saudi Arabia where they're essentially second class citizens.
Original post by oShahpo
You said those who criticise ISIS are sent to prison so I thought you meant the government supported them.
Anyway, my point is, Egypt, while very effin far from perfect, is a better representative of the Muslim populace than Saudi Arabia. Yea Christians have a harder life, but not as in Saudi Arabia where they're essentially second class citizens.

I merely stated what that article said. But tell me, what do you think about teenagers going to prison for mocking ISIS?
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's almost as if the OP wants the terrorists to win.

its a shame you can't recognise your fellow Islamophobes on sight, the OP is fully against the proposal and wanted to start another Islam-bashing thread
Original post by HAnwar
It's only for a couple of minutes.
You're more likely to wake up from a police siren or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There wouldn't be police sirens at dawn every single day.

I'm genuinely surprised you haven't moved to Pakistan or some other Muslim country because your kind of arrogance about your religion would get you far in those places. Are you planning to move after you graduate from uni?
No thanks, it's not the British way.
The church-bell argument isn't really valid, since it's rare to hear them (at least where I live) whereas call to prayer is a multiple times a day affair.
Britain is big on keeping the peace where possible, whereas a call to prayer daily out over a nominally secular country = imposing one's faith on others.

In Britain you're free to pursue your faith (whatever it is) as long as you aren't harming others and imposing it on them.

On another point, Islam has a bit of an image problem, so perhaps tackling radicalism and the hyper-conservatism first would be helpful.

Priorities, ya know?

Fortunately the world is big enough to cater to many interpretations of Islam, so if no loud-speaker call to prayer is important, always somewhere else that meets those requirements.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alevelstresss
its a shame you can't recognise your fellow Islamophobes on sight
as I said many times : "Islamophobia" is just a hammer being used for hitting on the head (metaphorically) those who oppose Islam

and, once again : opposing Islam, its role and influence in our societies, is perfectly OK (whether we consider it to be an "Islamophobic" attitude or not)

discriminating against individual Muslims is not

best
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Islam has a bit of an image problem, so perhaps tackling radicalism and the hyper-conservatism first would be helpful..
true

even contemplating such a possibility means having not the slightest clue about the state of UK public opinion

it means playing into the hands of those who would like to expel Muslims from the land, or at least to have them all registered at police stations

it would reinforce the arguments of those who claim that Islam is trying to take over the UK (which is not necessarily true, at least in the short term)

best
as I said many times : "Islamophobia" is just a hammer being used for hitting on the head (metaphorically) those who oppose Islam

and, once again : opposing Islam, its role and influence in our societies, is perfectly OK (whether we consider it to be an "Islamophobic" attitude or not)

discriminating against individual Muslims is not

best

The criticism of the word 'islamophobia' is a way of Islamophobes dodging the point.

Islamophobia simply means hate/fear of Islam or Muslims. No one says it means hate/fear of both at the same time. Neither does it mean 'opposing' or 'being critical'. For example, Richard Dawkins isn't an Islamophobe for being critical of Islam.

I believe I already explained this twice to you.
Original post by safaa7
Even if you get 1 million signatures the government wouldn't allow it and as a Muslim I'm not going to sign it because the UK is not a Muslim country and we have to respect that.
I look forward to that 'Trending' but won't hold my breath
The criticism of the word 'islamophobia' is a way of Islamophobes dodging the point.

Islamophobia simply means hate/fear of Islam or Muslims. No one says it means hate/fear of both at the same time. Neither does it mean 'opposing' or 'being critical'. For example, Richard Dawkins isn't an Islamophobe for being critical of Islam.

I believe I already explained this twice to you.
you can interpret a fuzzy concept such as "islamophobia" as you prefer : there is no meaning defined by law

so : to you your islamophobia, to me mine

and yes, I believe i have explained this to you already many, many times

best
you can interpret a fuzzy concept such as "islamophobia" as you prefer : there is no meaning defined by law

so : to you your islamophobia, to me mine

and yes, I believe i have explained this to you already many, many times

best

Its not an open-to-interpretation phrase, it is defined as "Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force."
Its not an open-to-interpretation phrase, it is defined as "Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force."
why exactly should we follow this definition ? in fact, 67.65% of people on this forum who cared to answer a poll disagreed with this definition , and 17.65% only agreed

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3860741

so, to you your definition, to me mine, and to the Oxford dictionary its own : I have explained this to you so many times...

in any case, since I dislike Islam, I have no problem in accepting your "Islamophobic" label, if it makes you happy

best
(edited 7 years ago)
why exactly should we follow this definition ? in fact, 67.65% of people on this forum who cared to answer a poll disagreed with this definition , and 17.65% only agreed

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3860741

so, to you your definition, to me mine, and to the Oxford dictionary its own : I have explained this to you so many times...

in any case, since I dislike Islam, I have no problem in accepting your "Islamophobic" label, if it makes you happy

best

Because its the set-in-stone definition from the Oxford Dictionary. Just because 2/3rds of a tiny sample of students indicates there is some disagreement with the definition, it doesn't mean the definition should be open to interpretation.

Islamophobia means what it means, there is no dispute. Nowhere is Islamophobia defined as fear/hate of both Muslims and Islam simultaneously, its quite clearly defined as fear/hate of either.
Because its the set-in-stone definition from the Oxford Dictionary.
it's set in nothing at all

in fact, the definition in the Oxford English Dictionary is different from the one in Oxford Dictionary Online. Mirriam-Webster online does not even reference it.

With regard to official use, the Runnymede report titled "Islamophobia: A Challenge for Us All" was published in November 1997 by the Home Secretary, Jack Straw. In this report, Islamophobia was defined as "an outlook or world-view involving an unfounded dread and dislike of Muslims, which results in practices of exclusion and discrimination."

And there goes your "set in stone" definition . Try again.

Best

Latest

Trending

Trending