The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Warning about LSE

O.K, I'm writing this because I wished someone had done the same for me when I was applying to University, and been honest about what it’s REALLY like at LSE. I have also been reading threads about how people think that achieving a place at LSE is the be all and end all of everything. I am a Second year student at the University, and wanted to make a formal warning to people wanting to apply to this University, because I don't want others to be duped the way that I was and then arrive here and realise what a colossal mistake they have made.

I knew before I came to LSE that it wasn’t going to be a ‘fun’ uni. I was aware of how dissatisfied students were at LSE but I decided to put that all aside and do it for the future prospects that a degree from LSE could offer me. Let me tell you that was the biggest mistake of my life and given the choice again, I would pick a friendlier, less academic uni over this shite hole.LSE was made out to be a vibrant, cosmopolitan uni with students from all over the world. The truth is that the international students (mainly Chinese) are cliquey af. They stick together and rarely interact with the home students. I have been in lectures where I have attempted to talk to some of the pupils and they brush you off and start talking in their own language to their friend from the same country. The rare home students that you’ll meet are either ‘rahs’ or socially awkward beyond belief.

The societies are crap. You can’t have a light hearted conversation without someone trying to be politically correct. The lecturers are awful. Many are post graduates who don’t want to be there. In some of my lectures I could barely understand what the lecturer was talking about because his English was so bad. The workload is unbearable. The ‘LSE culture’ is vile, everyone is trying to get one up on each other all the time. London in general is just an awful place tbh. LSE has no campus so there isn’t a university feel to it at all. It feels more like a workplace. Londoners in general are just unfriendly (lord forbid if you smile at a stranger). It’s a busy, expensive, isolating place where you just feel insignificant. The careers service is diabolical too.

Now with my *****ing out the way (lol) the point of this post was to advise people. I browsed TSR a lot during my application process and there was this false notion that the strongest way to get into investment banking was through LSE. This is totally false. My internship at JP Morgan had students from Warwick, Birmingham, Manchester etc. And they were all loving their uni experience.It takes a certain type to study at LSE. For those who are debating between LSE and a uni like Warwick pick the latter. LSE is a cold, isolating place which has sucked the life out of me. If you want a real taste of University life, do not come to LSE.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

May I ask what subject you are studying?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by ChrisP97
May I ask what subject you are studying?

I'd rather not go into the specifics because I know a lot of lse students frequent TSR but its a quant degree
Reply 3
Original post by KT942
O.K, I'm writing this because I wished someone had done the same for me when I was applying to University, and been honest about what it’s REALLY like at LSE. I have also been reading threads about how people think that achieving a place at LSE is the be all and end all of everything. I am a Second year student at the University, and wanted to make a formal warning to people wanting to apply to this University, because I don't want others to be duped the way that I was and then arrive here and realise what a colossal mistake they have made.I knew before I came to LSE that it wasn’t going to be a ‘fun’ uni. I was aware of how dissatisfied students were at LSE but I decided to put that all aside and do it for the future prospects that a degree from LSE could offer me. Let me tell you that was the biggest mistake of my life and given the choice again, I would pick a friendlier, less academic uni over this shite hole.LSE was made out to be a vibrant, cosmopolitan uni with students from all over the world. The truth is that the international students (mainly Chinese) are cliquey af. They stick together and rarely interact with the home students. I have been in lectures where I have attempted to talk to some of the pupils and they brush you off and start talking in their own language to their friend from the same country. The rare home students that you’ll meet are either ‘rahs’ or socially awkward beyond belief. The societies are crap. You can’t have a light hearted conversation without someone trying to be politically correct. The lecturers are awful. Many are post graduates who don’t want to be there. In some of my lectures I could barely understand what the lecturer was talking about because his English was so bad. The workload is unbearable. The ‘LSE culture’ is vile, everyone is trying to get one up on each other all the time. London in general is just an awful place tbh. LSE has no campus so there isn’t a university feel to it at all. It feels more like a workplace. Londoners in general are just unfriendly (lord forbid if you smile at a stranger). It’s a busy, expensive, isolating place where you just feel insignificant. The careers service is diabolical too.Now with my *****ing out the way (lol) the point of this post was to advise people. I browsed TSR a lot during my application process and there was this false notion that the strongest way to get into investment banking was through LSE. This is totally false. My internship at JP Morgan had students from Warwick, Birmingham, Manchester etc. And they were all loving their uni experience.It takes a certain type to study at LSE. For those who are debating between LSE and a uni like Warwick pick the latter. LSE is a cold, isolating place which has sucked the life out of me. If you want a real taste of University life, do not come to LSE.

Thank god you confirmed my suspicions, that's exactly what i thought it would be like, so i won't apply there anymore :biggrin:
Sounds like any London uni tbh. This city isn't for everyone.
While your inability to use paragraphs has made my day measurably worse, you are probably right. One of my professors has warned me against applying to LSE for my postgrad, citing it as a toxic enviroment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KT942
O.K, I'm writing this because I wished someone had done the same for me when I was applying to University, and been honest about what it’s REALLY like at LSE. I have also been reading threads about how people think that achieving a place at LSE is the be all and end all of everything. I am a Second year student at the University, and wanted to make a formal warning to people wanting to apply to this University, because I don't want others to be duped the way that I was and then arrive here and realise what a colossal mistake they have made.I knew before I came to LSE that it wasn’t going to be a ‘fun’ uni. I was aware of how dissatisfied students were at LSE but I decided to put that all aside and do it for the future prospects that a degree from LSE could offer me. Let me tell you that was the biggest mistake of my life and given the choice again, I would pick a friendlier, less academic uni over this shite hole.LSE was made out to be a vibrant, cosmopolitan uni with students from all over the world. The truth is that the international students (mainly Chinese) are cliquey af. They stick together and rarely interact with the home students. I have been in lectures where I have attempted to talk to some of the pupils and they brush you off and start talking in their own language to their friend from the same country. The rare home students that you’ll meet are either ‘rahs’ or socially awkward beyond belief. The societies are crap. You can’t have a light hearted conversation without someone trying to be politically correct. The lecturers are awful. Many are post graduates who don’t want to be there. In some of my lectures I could barely understand what the lecturer was talking about because his English was so bad. The workload is unbearable. The ‘LSE culture’ is vile, everyone is trying to get one up on each other all the time. London in general is just an awful place tbh. LSE has no campus so there isn’t a university feel to it at all. It feels more like a workplace. Londoners in general are just unfriendly (lord forbid if you smile at a stranger). It’s a busy, expensive, isolating place where you just feel insignificant. The careers service is diabolical too.Now with my *****ing out the way (lol) the point of this post was to advise people. I browsed TSR a lot during my application process and there was this false notion that the strongest way to get into investment banking was through LSE. This is totally false. My internship at JP Morgan had students from Warwick, Birmingham, Manchester etc. And they were all loving their uni experience.It takes a certain type to study at LSE. For those who are debating between LSE and a uni like Warwick pick the latter. LSE is a cold, isolating place which has sucked the life out of me. If you want a real taste of University life, do not come to LSE.

Really sorry about that. Should be the best time of your lifeX
This university rejected me. But reading this makes me feel good a bit..still..what ... LSE is great. Who cares about the Chinese?

Didn't you know this before you applied? Do you think the people at OxBridge are party animals? Obviously not. The smartest guy in my school was extremely awkward socially and kinda a snake too. I knew Unis like those will be full of them. Obviously they give 0 shits about interaction. They want to 'be the greatest' or whatevr that means.

Reading this still surprised me a bit... Oh and Warwick rejected me too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KT942

Well mate, only 2 more years of hell. (Assuming you've just done the first).
Reply 9
Original post by Just a Bloke
While your inability to use paragraphs has made my day measurably worse, you are probably right. One of my professors has warned me against applying to LSE for my postgrad, citing it as a toxic enviroment.

Lol I'm sorry, its just that I read a thread on here about some guy wanting to drop out of warwick for lse and I just had to vent. Its mad how people think that lse is the hly grail for a successful future. Its not. Its a miserable, toxic place. There are sooo many other ways to get into the city and investment banking. The onus is on the individual as opposed to what uni you attend. Best of luck with wherever you decide to study your postgrad at :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by alevez2ez
This university rejected me. But reading this makes me feel good a bit..still..what ... LSE is great. Who cares about the Chinese?

Didn't you know this before you applied? Do you think the people at OxBridge are party animals? Obviously not. The smartest guy in my school was extremely awkward socially and kinda a snake too. I knew Unis like those will be full of them. Obviously they give 0 shits about interaction. They want to 'be the greatest' or whatevr that means.

Its more like a work place than a uni. In regards to the chinese, you have to care when the overwhelming majority in your class are cliquey chinese students who refuse to interact or help you out with work. All of this I knew before applying but I thought I could cope, I was so blinded by the fact that I was studying at LSE but trust me, once you've been there for a month you just lose the will to live. Lol they're all snakes. I had one of them try to sabotage my internship application :/
Original post by KT942
Its more like a work place than a uni. In regards to the chinese, you have to care when the overwhelming majority in your class are cliquey chinese students who refuse to interact or help you out with work. All of this I knew before applying but I thought I could cope, I was so blinded by the fact that I was studying at LSE but trust me, once you've been there for a month you just lose the will to live. Lol they're all snakes. I had one of them try to sabotage my internship application :/

I didn't go*to a smart university like you and a guy already did that to me when he snitched on me cheating/taking shortcuts and got me expelled and took the internship which was for me. So yeah.. I think those people are everywhere but more in unis like LSE.I feel bad for you dude, studying hard and getting good grades and having to put up with **** like this. Try to look for people like you.. I'm sure you'll find one. But don't try to fit in with the Chinese groups or with those socially awkward locals or whatever. Find a guy..who is chill.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know a lot of people who go to LSE (including my sister and her friends) and they absolutly love it there! You can't blame the university, just because you didn't enjoy yourself 😞
Original post by KT942
O.K, I'm writing this because I wished someone had done the same for me when I was applying to University, and been honest about what it’s REALLY like at LSE. I have also been reading threads about how people think that achieving a place at LSE is the be all and end all of everything. I am a Second year student at the University, and wanted to make a formal warning to people wanting to apply to this University, because I don't want others to be duped the way that I was and then arrive here and realise what a colossal mistake they have made.

I knew before I came to LSE that it wasn’t going to be a ‘fun’ uni. I was aware of how dissatisfied students were at LSE but I decided to put that all aside and do it for the future prospects that a degree from LSE could offer me. Let me tell you that was the biggest mistake of my life and given the choice again, I would pick a friendlier, less academic uni over this shite hole.LSE was made out to be a vibrant, cosmopolitan uni with students from all over the world. The truth is that the international students (mainly Chinese) are cliquey af. They stick together and rarely interact with the home students. I have been in lectures where I have attempted to talk to some of the pupils and they brush you off and start talking in their own language to their friend from the same country. The rare home students that you’ll meet are either ‘rahs’ or socially awkward beyond belief.

The societies are crap. You can’t have a light hearted conversation without someone trying to be politically correct. The lecturers are awful. Many are post graduates who don’t want to be there. In some of my lectures I could barely understand what the lecturer was talking about because his English was so bad. The workload is unbearable. The ‘LSE culture’ is vile, everyone is trying to get one up on each other all the time. London in general is just an awful place tbh. LSE has no campus so there isn’t a university feel to it at all. It feels more like a workplace. Londoners in general are just unfriendly (lord forbid if you smile at a stranger). It’s a busy, expensive, isolating place where you just feel insignificant. The careers service is diabolical too.

Now with my *****ing out the way (lol) the point of this post was to advise people. I browsed TSR a lot during my application process and there was this false notion that the strongest way to get into investment banking was through LSE. This is totally false. My internship at JP Morgan had students from Warwick, Birmingham, Manchester etc. And they were all loving their uni experience.It takes a certain type to study at LSE. For those who are debating between LSE and a uni like Warwick pick the latter. LSE is a cold, isolating place which has sucked the life out of me. If you want a real taste of University life, do not come to LSE.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I only went to a middle/low university, but i had a great time there. I also think that university is what you make of it. At least at Derby the other students were friendly, even if there was something to be asked of quite a high number of the lecturers!
This rings true with a lot of friends I have there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KT942

LOOOOOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Zara0526
I know a lot of people who go to LSE (including my sister and her friends) and they absolutly love it there! You can't blame the university, just because you didn't enjoy yourself 😞

Like I said it takes a certain type of person to 'love' LSE. Albeit I do admit that those students studying qual degrees (IR, Government etc) tend to have a better time than those doing quant degrees. But the facts still remain that there is definitely a competitive lse culture, the foreign students are cliquey and london/ lse is an isolating place. The fact that lse has consistently had one of the worst student satisfaction ratings shows how I'm clearly not the only one who feels this way.

But like I said the point of this thread was to advise those who a struggling to pick between unis and only chose lse because they believe the false notion that its the easiest way to get into investment banking. Its not. A student who is active in societies, engages with professors and has a load of extra curriculars is much more appealing than a depressed lse student who rest on there laurels.
Original post by KT942

How can they sabotage your intern application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevez2ez

Errm you think the people at oxbridge don't party? think again. There are certainly some nerdy stay indoor types but there are far more people going out to party
Original post by Gladiatorsword
How can they sabotage your intern application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call out on you and get you in trouble. The internship will then go to someone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending