Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheHungryStudent
Results

Sociology: A / A

Psychology: A / B

English Literature: B/ B

Biology: B / C

Comments and reactions
I was really upset with my results because even though ABBC is good enough to apply to uni, I was expecting more As. In Psychology I had been getting As all year and got the best scores in my class so I don't even know what happened. Biology I knew I hadn't done well in, I messed up the first exam but I wasn't bothered because I know I'm dropping it. English even though a A would have been nice I'm more than happy with a B because I know it isn't my strongest subject compared to sociology and psychology.
Future ambitionsI want to go to Sheffield university to do Korean Studies, and I'm so excited about it but I am hugely worried I won't even get a place due to my lack of a language even though I have been heavily assured that no language is needed. I need ABB to get in, with my predicted grades standing at A*AA, I am really hoping I get an offer.

Seriously with Psychology I 100% know how you feel. I was getting As all through the year (full marks in every mock) but suddenly dropped to a B (with almost a C in one paper).

Are you on OCR Psych?
Original post by DarkEnergy
How come you do so many A-levels?

Just happened, I repeated a year for one and I carried on Media Studies to A2 and yeah...:colondollar::h:
I didn't like the courses that I did last year, I do like the ones that I do now...from there it just increased...Was planning to add Physics/Maths but was advised not too...If my grades are rubbish next year, I will take a gap year from there I will re-sit my A-Level exams and do more A-levels (Physics and Maths) before I go Uni.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 642
Original post by NNB_Herath
Did anyone get all A's for ALL UNITS ( if so how many ) ??

I got all As in Maths further maths bio and Chem (excluding a C then a B in general studies leading to a C overall but doesn't matter). I got 300/300 in maths and 289/300 in fm which I'm really proud of.

I was thinking of dropping bio then picking up as physics and also doing an EPQ - is that a good idea?
(edited post!)

My A-Levels; This year: English Lit and Lang, Sociology, Psychology, Biology, and Chemistry.

My A-Levels; after finishing A2: English Lit and Lang, Sociology, Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, and Media Studies.

AS Results: DDE (D in English, D in Psychology and E in Sociology) however, I got an A for my second paper of English, my first paper was my weakness. I also, already, have a B for Media A-Level.

Predicted Grade: CCC (for Sociology, Psychology, and English) and AA (for Biology and Chemistry).

My Aims for the next year: A*A*AAAB/A*A*ABBB (A*/A in Biology, A*/A in Chemistry, A/B in English, A/B in Sociology, A/B in Psychology...If I get a C in Psychology will cry but as long as the rest are fine, will get over it...but there will be no D's/E's/U's, will make sure...

Study Tactics - AS: Mindmaps, Reading The Textbook, Youtube Vids, Writing Essays, Doing Extra Work, Answering textbook questions (Only did this for Sociology).

Study Tactics - A2: Mindmaps, Past Exam Papers, Answering question via the textbook, "Pop quiz" (mainly for key words), Youtube Videos (CrashCourse/SciShow etc), Workshops, Doing Extra Work, Writing Essays,Answering mock questions, looking at Modal answers.

My five university choices; for now: Surrey, Kent, Queen Mary's, UCL and Bath.

My favourite Universities: UCL (Want it as my firm) and Surrey (Want it as my insurance).

Future Ambitions: Astrochemistry/Astronomy or Astrophysics.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got C in chemistry and D in biology, and I'm honestly elated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 645
Results
•Maths: Predicted A / Achieved A
•Further Maths: 100/100 !•Chemistry: Predicted B / Achieved A•Economics: Predicted B / Achieved AComments and reactions Really happy with my results, my parents were so proud of me, and grateful that it all paid off at the end even though my chemistry was a low A, so I've got to work for it further. I have been srsly having nightmares of results from the start of August and so happy now it's over tho uni applications are actually happening XDFuture ambitions
I want to study maths at Oxford, quite confident with the MAT but nervous about the interview; just got to work hard enough and see how it goes
To everyone who have achieved A's... please i beg you tell me how do you revise and your whole routine :emo:
Original post by 17lina
Results
•Maths: Predicted A / Achieved A
•Further Maths: 100/100 !•Chemistry: Predicted B / Achieved A•Economics: Predicted B / Achieved AComments and reactions Really happy with my results, my parents were so proud of me, and grateful that it all paid off at the end even though my chemistry was a low A, so I've got to work for it further. I have been srsly having nightmares of results from the start of August and so happy now it's over tho uni applications are actually happening XDFuture ambitions
I want to study maths at Oxford, quite confident with the MAT but nervous about the interview; just got to work hard enough and see how it goes

I think you should be confident for the interview and nervous for MAT lol. But, let's see how it goes. Keep us updated lol, interviews are meant to be different and easy. Everyone has different strengths, so you won't get discredited for an offer if you perform bad in the interview, unless it's really BAD!
Reply 648
Original post by fatima1998
To everyone who have achieved A's... please i beg you tell me how do you revise and your whole routine :emo:

Literally did nothing special, just started revising in January. I just slowly worked through every topic, doing every past paper question available.
Original post by RPFeyn
Literally did nothing special, just started revising in January. I just slowly worked through every topic, doing every past paper question available.

But its so difficult to manage coursework and revision at the same time :emo:
Original post by RPFeyn

LOL I started revising in May, damn I'm gonna start super early next year, when my EP is finished...
I was one mark of in English lit im worried itll go down if I get a remark though? what should I do?
Original post by 10studentlife
I was one mark of in English lit im worried itll go down if I get a remark though? what should I do?

Talk to your teacher is my advice. You may get the next grade, if not it may stay the same and if it does go down, you'll still be solidly in the grade you already have.
Results

English Language- A
Mathematics- A
Psychology- A
Media Studies- B

I was predicted AAAA but was expecting one B to crop up in either maths or English language. I wanted to drop media because, let's be honest, it's media so doesn't stack up well against the other subjects with good universities, so I was so happy that my B came in media!

Hoping to do psychology at university after sixth form and am hoping my tutors predict me A*A*A*. Aiming to go Warwick or Lancaster hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarkEnergy
St Andrews is really good for Physics, ranked number 1 on the Guardian league tables (doesn't really mean much but shows it has good student satisfaction and stuff). Offer is 'only' 3 A's but it has an offer rate of ~33% compared to Manchester and Birmingham's ~80%.

St andrews is really good, however its much smaller compared to other bigger unis 8000 students in comparison with some which have 30000+ students,
Original post by MathsMPhys
St andrews is really good, however its much smaller compared to other bigger unis 8000 students in comparison with some which have 30000+ students,

Yeah, that's what I like about it. It'd be a lot harder to slip through the cracks. I also like the idea of it being in a small town but not a campus university, but I can see how that may not appeal to people.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Talk to your teacher is my advice. You may get the next grade, if not it may stay the same and if it does go down, you'll still be solidly in the grade you already have.

Emailed both on the day and they still haven't replied! We only have two more days to request the paper back!
Original post by 10studentlife
Emailed both on the day and they still haven't replied! We only have two more days to request the paper back!

Do you have a general tutor? For example, I have my Guidance and Support Tutor who I can go to for pretty much anything. Try and see if you can reach them to sort out your problem or failing that see if school/college can put you in contact with your teachers.
Original post by fatima1998

Hey! I got 4 As and it kind of depends whether you're humanities or sciencey, but I'm humanities so I can give you tips for that.

I broke it down into 'stages' throughout the year. First stage - September-December; second - December-January (mocks); third - post mocks-Easter; fourth - Easter-beginning of study leave; fifth - study leave-night before the exam.

First stage:
- This is when you first get back to school. I don't know which year you're going into so I'll leave it vague, but for me looking forward to A2s this year using the methods I developed at GCSE/AS. I plan to timetable out all my frees this year and actually use them for work, they're your best shot at what is essentially free time! Since this year I'm focusing on coursework up to December, I'll spend roughly 50% of my frees in the library working on the coursework, and the other half chatting and being around friends. The balance may change, depending on how heavy coursework gets. At this point there's no need to give up lunchtimes etc, just using frees well. Completing homework is a must, and trying to make your essays a very high standard so you can use them later, finding websites and resources for your essays so that they contain a high level of analysis/information. At AS, this first stage is all about making sure your work is neat and tidy, you always complete homework to a high standard, and you create word documents which contain all the links to anything interesting you've read that is relevant to any of your subjects (eg. I created an english lit one where I pasted the links to all the good essays I've read between September to December). During this time it's vital that you're doing extra reading and research out of class.

Second stage:
- Revising over Christmas sucks butt but it's unavoidable. I bought a giant planner and timetabled my revision that way, setting aside days for being with family/friends, but aimed to do little bits of reading every night. For instance, I aimed to complete 30 minutes of history reading every night over the break, and by the end I'd read the whole textbook briefly. Forcing yourself to stick to a schedule is tough but it's a necessary evil here. I can't give you tips on how to actually revise because that would be another 12 paragraphs long, but essentially you need to ask your teachers for a checklist of the things you'll be tested on in mocks and ONLY LEARN THOSE THINGS. I spent half a day teaching myself the Korean war before realising it didn't come into our AS history spec! Don't make the mistake of writing detailed notes about say, photosynthesis, before realising that you don't need to know it. The real exams will require the real revision, but mocks are all about emergency learning on a need-to-know basis. If you're doing English, mocks are a great time to organise all the essays you've done so far and type up a couple of phrases from the essays which have scored highly, and make notes of particular features you've analysed. I once wrote a really great section about a particular quote and I memorised that, and when it came up in the AS exam I wrote down what I'd been writing all year and it made me panic so much less in the exam! However I do not recommend doing that as your plan A because if the wrong question comes up you'll panic if you've just memorised all your analysis! In short, mocks are about long term cramming. Use this time to flag up any areas you're not sure about.

Third stage:
- Everyone has that post mocks slump where they're either depressed with their DDEU grades or discouraged with the B they spent so long trying to surpass. At AS or A2, I've known hundreds of people who get these low grades and end up with AAAA or A*A*A*. LOW GRADES ARE NORMAL, so don't let it put you off. I got AAAA in mocks though, so I can't speak for others. However, after mocks you've got your first indication of what you know and how you're able to perform in exams. For me, I found that I panicked in the English exam and only scraped an A, so I made an effort to practice under timed conditions so that the actual exam wouldn't seem so daunting (it worked, I got 119/120). Talk to your teachers between now and Easter so that when you go away over prime revision time, you won't be stumped on a particular topic. Start using the afternoons and evenings to look over notes, keep your revision tidy, and keep doing extra research and documenting it in the same place as you kept your extra revision during the first stage. This is also a good point to look into extra-curriculars like 'Biology Club' or 'Maths Helpers' because there's not too much pressure but equally you'll need to focus academically. Spend perhaps 1 lunchtime a week just studying in the library, finishing off an essay or reading a textbook. It'll get you into the habit of studying at school, which you will need to do after Easter if you want to get high grades.

Fourth stage:
- This will get really hectic and stressful so keep your head at this point. All your frees now should be devoted to work, or revision, or extra reading, and a couple of lunchtimes should be spent talking to teachers or having a 'study group' with friends. You should be doing extra work, writing extra essays and making extra notes. Make group chats with your class and share all your notes and essays so you don't need to just rely on yourself. This is the time when you should be doing practice papers - don't do all the practice papers before mocks because you'll get to this stage and you'll have none left and won't have used the resources effectively. Revisit all the essays and sites you noted down in September and make notes on them, reread them, discuss them with your teachers and include them in your essays. This is what will be getting you the top grades, and the top UMS/raw marks.

Fifth stage:
- Every student's favourite word: "cramming". I swear down, cramming is what got me through my AS exams. By this time you will have built a solid foundation upon which you can spend your study leave time wisely, but in all seriousness, the night before and the morning of the exam are your best friends. What I did was spend the day before reading and rereading past essays and notes, revisiting essay structures, rereading quotes etc; these things are already embedded in your brain if you've been following your plans from before, but rereading them will refresh them in your mind. I promise you you won't remember them 10 minutes after getting out of the exam, but when you're in the exam hall it'll all be there. Then, I would ring my friend at say, midnight, and we'd chat through anything we could think of, revising essay structures and talking about how we'd analyse particular things. It always helps to say things out loud, and when you're tired you automatically say weird s**t and sometimes it can be the stroke of genius you need to get the high marks. And, talking to a friend will calm you down and stop you stressing (hopefully) and by the end you'll be so exhausted you'll fall asleep easily, dreaming about Henry VIII's foreign policy aims.

This. This is how I got 10 A*s, 4 As with an average raw mark of 93%. If it helps you, you're welcome. If it doesn't, it might help someone else. Good luck!!!!
Original post by CatusStarbright
Do you have a general tutor? For example, I have my Guidance and Support Tutor who I can go to for pretty much anything. Try and see if you can reach them to sort out your problem or failing that see if school/college can put you in contact with your teachers.

Possibly, I have a tutor yes.

Quick Reply

Latest