The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GWHB63
Anyone know what the rough cut offs are for GEM? Know they're higher than Undergrad med so not really sure where I stand:
VR - 630
QR - 780
AR - 770

Average: 727

Never sat UKCAT before and seeing numbers on here I have on idea if that's good or bad?

Cheers guys and congrats on everyones results

Averages can obviously change so can't say for certain. Id avoid kings and Newcastle with that. You should stand a chance at Barts, Southampton and Warwick

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys!! I just did my UKCAT :smile: I go Avg of 716 :smile: Im happy with that :smile:

VR - 610 (hard as expected but also im bad at it)
QR - 890 (this section saved me)
AR- 650 (I got THE WORST patterns, they were all hard and i didnt understand any of them fully so i dunno how I even got 650 tbh. The only simple pattern there was i missed it cuz of panic. So im annoyed at this section but i know I shouldnt be too disheartened as its a little down to luck and i picked the short straw here :frown:
SJ-BAND 1, really happy about this.

So is there anywhere I should avoid applying?
I wanted to apply to southhampton, Birmingham, Cardiff and not sure about the other :/ I have 9A*'s and 1A at GCSE and got AAAA in as levels.
Thanks guys :smile: and good luck :smile:
Original post by Pra99
Just did my test!

VR- 640
QR-900
AR-730
Band 1
Average- 757

First of all, I would like to thank everyone on this thread for giving me so much useful advice and tips. This thread has been my go-to place whenever I had a problem.

ADVICE:
VR the same as the official tests, with loads of inference questions. The questions weren't necessary long(about the same as medify) but the difficulty of actually findin the answer or the keyword was much more difficult than medify or Kaplan.

AR was about the same as Kaplan but easier than medify, only because there weren't any complex patterns or patterns like "black shapes count double"( at least I think there wasn't).

QR was challenging as there werent many clear cut answers, but the overall difficulty was like year 9 standard. I worked EXTREMELY quickly and still only had a minute left.

I don't know what to say about sj. It was exactly like the practice test but I never got band 1 before.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this was useful!

I'll be posting all of my mock scores later.

In VR how many questions were comprehension and how many were T/F/CT
Did the test today!

VR - 700
QR - 710
AR - 770
SJT- Band 2

Average - 727

Thanks to everyone on TSR. Such helpful advice.
Messed up on timing in QR in actual test.
Resources used - Medify (very useful), Kaplan self study course (not that useful) and did Official mocks.
Practise in timed conditions!!! Did medify, Kaplan and official mocks and still ended up guessing 3-15 questions in all 3 sections in the actual test as I ran out of time. Anyway happy with my score :smile:
Good luck to all!
Original post by clairebear101
Hey guys!! I just did my UKCAT :smile: I go Avg of 716 :smile: Im happy with that :smile:

VR - 610 (hard as expected but also im bad at it)
QR - 890 (this section saved me)
AR- 650 (I got THE WORST patterns, they were all hard and i didnt understand any of them fully so i dunno how I even got 650 tbh. The only simple pattern there was i missed it cuz of panic. So im annoyed at this section but i know I shouldnt be too disheartened as its a little down to luck and i picked the short straw here :frown:
SJ-BAND 1, really happy about this.

So is there anywhere I should avoid applying?
I wanted to apply to southhampton, Birmingham, Cardiff and not sure about the other :/ I have 9A*'s and 1A at GCSE and got AAAA in as levels.
Thanks guys :smile: and good luck :smile:

What type of patterns came up. And for VR how many T/F/CT questions were theRe
So my test is on Friday and I have just done my 1st mock and got

VR - 630
AR- 500
QR- 500
SJ - Band 3

So I'm looking at getting an average of just over 500 for my test find QR hard as I haven't done my Maths GCSE yet will be doing so this year (mature student) and for AR the patterns don't seem to click for me like they do normally.
Original post by Samantha48124
What type of patterns came up. And for VR how many T/F/CT questions were theRe

I cant even tell u what patterns as i didnt get them lol... I got like 3 T/F questions but they were hard ones
Original post by Pra99
Just did my test!

VR- 640
QR-900
AR-730
Band 1
Average- 757

First of all, I would like to thank everyone on this thread for giving me so much useful advice and tips. This thread has been my go-to place whenever I had a problem.

ADVICE:
VR the same as the official tests, with loads of inference questions. The questions weren't necessary long(about the same as medify) but the difficulty of actually findin the answer or the keyword was much more difficult than medify or Kaplan.

AR was about the same as Kaplan but easier than medify, only because there weren't any complex patterns or patterns like "black shapes count double"( at least I think there wasn't).

QR was challenging as there werent many clear cut answers, but the overall difficulty was like year 9 standard. I worked EXTREMELY quickly and still only had a minute left.

I don't know what to say about sj. It was exactly like the practice test but I never got band 1 before.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this was useful!

I'll be posting all of my mock scores later.

that's such an amazing score!! Well done :smile:)
Hi everyone, just started using medify and I've been practicing VR. Is it normal to be getting 4/5 correct ish or am I meant to be aiming for 5/5 everytime to be in with a good score😬 what was everyone else getting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Hi everyone, just started using medify and I've been practicing VR. Is it normal to be getting 4/5 correct ish or am I meant to be aiming for 5/5 everytime to be in with a good score😬 what was everyone else getting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2/5,3/5,4/5,5/5
Original post by Samantha48124
2/5,3/5,4/5,5/5

😂, were you mostly scoring high though all the time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
😂, were you mostly scoring high though all the time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got like 3/5 average haha
Thanks for the replies, just wanted to check that it wasn't really bad to not be getting full marks as I haven't done a mock yet so I'm still clueless 😸

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone who has medify and done the mocks,
does it tell you what score you got and what banding?? just wondered before taking a mock, if it doesnt tell you how did you work out your score for situational judgment
Original post by xJessScott
anyone who has medify and done the mocks,
does it tell you what score you got and what banding?? just wondered before taking a mock, if it doesnt tell you how did you work out your score for situational judgment

Yeh it tells you the score. Usually a bit lower than the usual method people use but seems to be in the same area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sean0219
Yeh it tells you the score. Usually a bit lower than the usual method people use but seems to be in the same area

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah great thanks :smile:
Just did my UKCAT... did better than I expected

VR: 550
QR: 720
AR: 600
SJ: BAND 3

Got 1870/2700 which is enough for Sheffield... I am on the SOAMS scheme hence I get a guaranteed interview!

VR: The passages you had to read were very long.... I algo very few T/F/C questions.

QR: Was much easier than practice tests.... answered as many questions as possible CORRECTLY before time ran out... guessed the rest.

AR: Absolutely Guessed all of them....
(edited 7 years ago)
I got a pretty average Ukcat score of 630 with band 1 SJT
I got quite good Scottish higher grades at AAAAAB and I also have lots of volunteering and work experience, so I was wondering what my chances of getting into a Scottish medical school might be?
does anyone know the general cut offs for each band for situational judgement???
Original post by Usaamah
Just did my UKCAT... did better than I expected

VR: 550
QR: 720
AR: 600
SJ: BAND 3

Got 1850/2700 which is enough for Sheffield... I am on the SOAMS scheme hence I get a guaranteed interview!

VR: The passages you had to read were very long.... I algo very few T/F/C questions.

QR: Was much easier than practice tests.... answered as many questions as possible CORRECTLY before time ran out... guessed the rest.

AR: Absolutely Guessed all of them....

well done :smile:) what sort of stuff did you get on abstract? was it fairly obscure shapes and not easy to work out? or why do you think you guessed them all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending