The Student Room Group

Likelihood of me getting offers?

Hi all,

Let me explain my situation.

Currently, I'm doing three A levels, Business, Geography and Politics. I only took 3 AS levels, as I dropped maths after my AS mocks. I have no GCSE's, as I was in Canada during that period, so I have Canadian equivalents. I'm doing nothing for extra UCAS points bar those 3 A Levels as I'm also going to be doing resits of my politics and geography exams, as I got a C and a D in those. I got an A in Business though. My predicted grades will range from ABC to probably ABB. I wish to apply to places like U of Birmingham and QMUL, who are generally AAB schools for Business Management.

Do I have a chance of an offer?
Original post by yycdxb
Hi all,

Let me explain my situation.

Currently, I'm doing three A levels, Business, Geography and Politics. I only took 3 AS levels, as I dropped maths after my AS mocks. I have no GCSE's, as I was in Canada during that period, so I have Canadian equivalents. I'm doing nothing for extra UCAS points bar those 3 A Levels as I'm also going to be doing resits of my politics and geography exams, as I got a C and a D in those. I got an A in Business though. My predicted grades will range from ABC to probably ABB. I wish to apply to places like U of Birmingham and QMUL, who are generally AAB schools for Business Management.

Do I have a chance of an offer?

Whether or not you get an offer will entirely depend on whether you apply to the appropriate university courses. I'm pretty sure you can apply to 7 different courses so you can put a big range of different entry requirements in there and see whether it works out.

I think they mostly pay attention to predicted grades and AS results, rather than GCSE results which barely matter at all. A favourable teacher reference could help enormously in explaining the significance of the canadian equivalent .

Also, not taking 4 AS levels shouldn't matter at all as they only base their offers on 3 a level grades. The 4th AS grade is totally irrelevant to them.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Thatduck
Whether or not you get an offer will entirely depend on whether you apply to the appropriate university courses. I'm pretty sure you can apply to 7 different courses so you can put a big range of different entry requirements in there and see whether it works out.

I think they mostly pay attention to predicted grades and AS results, rather than GCSE results which barely matter at all. A favourable teacher reference could help enormously in explaining the significance of the canadian equivalent .

Also, not taking 4 AS levels shouldn't matter at all as they only base their offers on 3 a level grades. The 4th AS grade is totally irrelevant to them.

Good luck!

Thank you, and I'm sure a max of 5 applications to different courses across all universities is allowed. Rather than 5 universities, and 7 courses at each university. Have you gone through the uni process yet?
Original post by yycdxb
Thank you, and I'm sure a max of 5 applications to different courses across all universities is allowed. Rather than 5 universities, and 7 courses at each university. Have you gone through the uni process yet?

I have indeed been through the process (unfortunately!!)

Ahh yes I was wrong, you do get 5 choices. But I don't know where you got "7 courses at each uni" from. Each choice is a specific course at a specific uni. If you want to apply for 2 different courses at the same uni, that will take up 2/5 courses. If you want to apply for 2 of the "same"* course at different unis, that will also take up 2/5 options.

*i say the "same" but no two uni courses are going to be completely the same. Theyll all have slightly different methods and content in the course, even when the title is the same.
Reply 4
I have indeed been through the process (unfortunately!!)

Ahh yes I was wrong, you do get 5 choices. But I don't know where you got "7 courses at each uni" from. Each choice is a specific course at a specific uni. If you want to apply for 2 different courses at the same uni, that will take up 2/5 courses. If you want to apply for 2 of the "same"* course at different unis, that will also take up 2/5 options.

*i say the "same" but no two uni courses are going to be completely the same. Theyll all have slightly different methods and content in the course, even when the title is the same.

Yes yes I know you can't apply for 35 courses in total :P When you mentioned 7 I got confused and had a slight assumption you meant 7 at each which is obviously not true
Original post by yycdxb
Yes yes I know you can't apply for 35 courses in total :P When you mentioned 7 I got confused and had a slight assumption you meant 7 at each which is obviously not true

ahha sure. Well, good luck anyway. Talk to your teacher to your UCAS reference about what you want them to include. There are tons of people with foreign equivalent GCSEs and that shouldn't get in the way. Everything else is a non-issue so you should do great!
Reply 6
ahha sure. Well, good luck anyway. Talk to your teacher to your UCAS reference about what you want them to include. There are tons of people with foreign equivalent GCSEs and that shouldn't get in the way. Everything else is a non-issue so you should do great!

Thanks! Just incredibly stressed with everything!

Quick Reply

Latest