The Student Room Group

Sixth forms and colleges rejecting me

I have applied to many colleges in sixth forms after disappointing year at my current school

I live in Birmingham and I am willing to travel to any school in Birmingham and schools near metro line in sandwell

For my GCSEs I have

A*- Mathematics
A- Further Maths
A- Computer science
A- Core Science
A- Additional Science
A- Applied Business
A- Media Studies
B- English Lit
B- Application of Maths
C- English Lang

1A*, 6As,2Bs and 1C

Extra curricular:
Envision charity - raised 400+ pounds
Educating engineering scheme- Gold crest
Nuffield research placement in robotics at Coventry university- Just finished, Gold Crest

For AS this year:

C- Maths
D- Phys
U- Chem

my targets were three Bs and when the results came out my teachers were shocked seeing how low I have achieved even though throughout the year I had highest grades for maths and physics in entire year 12s.

I want to do FurtherMaths but no college or sixth form is accepting me

Otherwise I am happy to replace furthermaths with computer science

please! do you have any idea where I should apply? I have applied to Bonneville and Uni of Bham school but both rejected.

Scroll to see replies

Try out Solihull sixth form, they usually accept students who are willing to take year 12 again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Libaan
Try out Solihull sixth form, they usually accept students who are willing to take year 12 again

Posted from TSR Mobile

they were the first to be tried

They said they dont do A level retakes and even if they do they only offer Btecs for anyone who wants to retake year 12 no matter what grade they achieved in the prior year for year 12
Have you tried Joseph chamberlain, Cadbury, Mathew Bolton?
Reply 4
Original post by Libaan
Have you tried Joseph chamberlain, Cadbury, Mathew Bolton?

joseph camberlain - receptionist said they dont offer resit

bourneville- called three times on 2 different days but they cut off the phone after redirecting it

mathew bulton - said they dont accept resit students....MATHEW BULTON DOESNT ACCEPT RESITS! -__-

I have hopes from cadbury college, I will contact them very soon!
You could also do retakes privately, get a cheap tutor or do it completely on your own.
Reply 6
Original post by lawlieto
You could also do retakes privately, get a cheap tutor or do it completely on your own.

Thanks for the suggestion

But I already thought about that option and I am keeping it as my worst case scenario
Reply 7
Original post by emprex
I have applied to many colleges in sixth forms after disappointing year at my current school

I live in Birmingham and I am willing to travel to any school in Birmingham and schools near metro line in sandwell

For my GCSEs I have

A*- Mathematics
A- Further Maths
A- Computer science
A- Core Science
A- Additional Science
A- Applied Business
A- Media Studies
B- English Lit
B- Application of Maths
C- English Lang

1A*, 6As,2Bs and 1C

Extra curricular:
Envision charity - raised 400+ pounds
Educating engineering scheme- Gold crest
Nuffield research placement in robotics at Coventry university- Just finished, Gold Crest

For AS this year:

C- Maths
D- Phys
U- Chem

my targets were three Bs and when the results came out my teachers were shocked seeing how low I have achieved even though throughout the year I had highest grades for maths and physics in entire year 12s.

I want to do FurtherMaths but no college or sixth form is accepting me

Otherwise I am happy to replace furthermaths with computer science

please! do you have any idea where I should apply? I have applied to Bonneville and Uni of Bham school but both rejected.

First person I've seen with so many As/Bs that didn't get atleast a B or A in both Maths and English Language. How interesting.
Reply 8
Original post by Vyres
First person I've seen with so many As/Bs that didn't get atleast a B or A in both Maths and English Language. How interesting.

I am sorry I dont understand

I have A* for maths and B for english lit and C for english language

I am sorry I have bad sense of humor if that was a joke
Reply 9
Original post by emprex
I am sorry I dont understand

I have A* for maths and B for english lit and C for english language

I am sorry I have bad sense of humor if that was a joke

It wasn't supposed to be a joke. I just found it interesting that you didn't get a B or A in English Language. It's not a bad thing or anything.
Reply 10
Original post by Vyres
It wasn't supposed to be a joke. I just found it interesting that you didn't get a B or A in English Language. It's not a bad thing or anything.

oh i see

yh, I hated English language
I blame myself for not working harder on it

but to be honest I knew I couldnt get a high grade considering english is my second language and I find it very difficult compared to other 3 languages I can speak/write

english literature was interesting I liked it a lot more than language
Reply 11
Original post by emprex
oh i see

yh, I hated English language
I blame myself for not working harder on it

but to be honest I knew I couldnt get a high grade considering english is my second language and I find it very difficult compared to other 3 languages I can speak/write

english literature was interesting I liked it a lot more than language

Yeah I mean you did get a very nice set of results anyways.
Reply 12
Original post by Vyres
Yeah I mean you did get a very nice set of results anyways.

not nice enough

People with lower grades than me are able to get in for retakes

Its humiliating! All the teachers mocking me behind my back on the results day! All the students secretly whispering about my results!

14 years worth of education, I dont want it to end like this! I dont realize what I am doing wrong...should I not say I am resit student? should I just keep that secret from them? should I just give up and do apprenticeship?

by the looks of it my worst case scenario or doing A levels at home is starting to come true

All this time in reality I have been blaming the school and teachers, but the reason this scenario is coming true is due to my own lack of ability and hard work
Reply 13
Original post by emprex
not nice enough

People with lower grades than me are able to get in for retakes

Its humiliating! All the teachers mocking me behind my back on the results day! All the students secretly whispering about my results!

14 years worth of education, I dont want it to end like this! I dont realize what I am doing wrong...should I not say I am resit student? should I just keep that secret from them? should I just give up and do apprenticeship?

by the looks of it my worst case scenario or doing A levels at home is starting to come true

All this time in reality I have been blaming the school and teachers, but the reason this scenario is coming true is due to my own lack of ability and hard work

Why don't you just start fresh, and apply to a college or sixth form as a student who is starting AS from the beginning?
If I was you I'd try not mentioning that you are retaking or the results you received last year, and good fortune for applying for Cadbury, I go there :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Libaan
If I was you I'd try not mentioning that you are retaking or the results you received last year, and good fortune for applying for Cadbury, I go there :smile:

I have free education till 19 year old

I have two more years of it free...

I am sure when colleges enroll students they get extra fundings

I have been saying 'retaking A levels' all this time

Could it be that they are thinking I want to do fast track A level or something like that?

I will go to joseph camberlain physically and ask them to somehow accept me
Yeah I think that is better, I haven't heard of people with such gcse grades get denied to easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
but eventually when i tell me date of birth they will realise that i am one year ahead of everyone else

what will I say when they say 'why didnt you tell us that you are resit student?'
'You are telling us this, after we give you offer'?

but isnt a resit student a student that resits after year 13?
Just wondering
Reply 18
I see, this is what I am going to do
hey im in the same sticky situation i got my As level results this year and they were completely bad though my reason is that i chose subjects that were completely terrible for me and i want to redo this entire year and do a new set of As levels but the thing is that my gcse results were of june 2017 so wont they ask you why yiu didnt do As level if you hide the fact you are redoing the year

Quick Reply

Latest