The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Protoxylic
Oh right that's a shame. Some of our servers even played along, some giving pennies to them and asking to penny somebody further down the table, it's all a bit of fun really.

I think my daughter's college need to head-hunt caius's servers........or go to caius for formals.......
Original post by vincrows
I think my daughter's college need to head-hunt caius's servers........or go to caius for formals.......

:angelwings:

We all know the quality of Caius' food.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Oh don't worry, the freshers WILL know about pennying.

The NatScis at Caius, we invite our supervisors for a 'supervisors' formal every term, my Physics supervisor brought down wine from the fellow's cabinet (which was some 1998 red, apparently the last bottle of its kind) and then proceeded to penny everybody with it. So the fellows seem to be quite keen on it too, legend says Hawking had his soup pennied at some point. We've also migrated to pennying port which turned out to be interesting as the night progressed.

Have you heard of the engineer's penny, or is that just a Caius thing?

Nah, Engineer pennying is a pretty ubiquitous tradition, even at Pembroke where pennying is expressly prohibited (if caught you'll be thrown out of hall, given your tea in a plastic baggy and fined £40).

Now Peterhouse, they know how to penny. I've been there for formal a few times and it felt like a competitive sport...
Original post by DJMayes
Nah, Engineer pennying is a pretty ubiquitous tradition, even at Pembroke where pennying is expressly prohibited (if caught you'll be thrown out of hall, given your tea in a plastic baggy and fined £40).

Now Peterhouse, they know how to penny. I've been there for formal a few times and it felt like a competitive sport...

I thought it would be, however, not a lot of people know about it from what I gather.

In a plastic baggy, that's harsh asf lmao
I thought it would be, however, not a lot of people know about it from what I gather.

In a plastic baggy, that's harsh asf lmao

You think that's harsh? During Christmas formal either my 1st or 2nd year, someone got caught pennying and given his Christmas Dinner in a plastic bag which he then had to go eat alone in his room.

About 10 minutes later, the college butler spotted someone downing his wine and taking a penny out. He went and asked the student who pennied him. The student said he hadn't seen it happen and didn't know, so the college butler threw him out of formal until he found out who did the pennying to guilt the pennier into owning up .
Original post by DJMayes
You think that's harsh? During Christmas formal either my 1st or 2nd year, someone got caught pennying and given his Christmas Dinner in a plastic bag which he then had to go eat alone in his room.

About 10 minutes later, the college butler spotted someone downing his wine and taking a penny out. He went and asked the student who pennied him. The student said he hadn't seen it happen and didn't know, so the college butler threw him out of formal until he found out who did the pennying to guilt the pennier into owning up .

I've been to Pembroke brunch a couple times and your butlers seem quite friendly, although I think I caught a glimpse of your head of catering and he seemed quite strict.

Damn what is it with Pembroke and putting dinners in plastic bags, thanks for the tip I'll try and avoid either getting caught pennying or pennying altogether if I get a swap lmao. I assume non-members of Pembroke who get caught just get banned?
:angelwings:

We all know the quality of Caius' food.

Spoiler

I almost mentioned about it but decided to be polite.
Yes, have heard your food had improved a lot recently. 'bout time!! :biggrin:

Actually my daughter had a formal at your college once. When she started Cambridge,, her resolution was to eat formals at every college. She didn't manage to accomplish it but she did have one at caius (thanks to her friend from her old school there) .
I asked her which was the best/worst college for food, and caius was definitely not the worst one. :wink:
Original post by DJMayes

Gosh, £40 is quite hefty.....
I think it was £20/25 or so at my daughter's. But it was a couple of years ago, so might've gone up a bit by now though.
I almost mentioned about it but decided to be polite.
Yes, have heard your food had improved a lot recently. 'bout time!! :biggrin:

Actually my daughter had a formal at your college once. When she started Cambridge,, her resolution was to eat formals at every college. She didn't manage to accomplish it but she did have one at caius (thanks to her friend from her old school there) .
I asked her which was the best/worst college for food, and caius was definitely not the worst one. :wink:

I'm glad. Our new food and bar officers are really good actually, we're getting some proper food now thank God.

I'm trying to think which college would be worse, I've actually heard some bad things about Christ's, but I will refrain from saying given there's a large Christ's influence on TSR lmao.
I've been to Pembroke brunch a couple times and your butlers seem quite friendly, although I think I caught a glimpse of your head of catering and he seemed quite strict.

Damn what is it with Pembroke and putting dinners in plastic bags, thanks for the tip I'll try and avoid either getting caught pennying or pennying altogether if I get a swap lmao. I assume non-members of Pembroke who get caught just get banned?

Our brunch is honestly overrated - breakfast is much better!

A couple of them are quite strict but the vast majority (including the head butler, the fairly intimidating looking Italian) are quite friendly provided you're behaving.

I don't know what the college does about members of other colleges who penny but I doubt they get banned. Kicked out and fined almost certainly though.
I'm glad. Our new food and bar officers are really good actually, we're getting some proper food now thank God.

I'm trying to think which college would be worse, I've actually heard some bad things about Christ's, but I will refrain from saying given there's a large Christ's influence on TSR lmao.

Are the natsci maths similar to engineering? Planning to practice e them since there are no past papers for engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJMayes
Our brunch is honestly overrated - breakfast is much better!

A couple of them are quite strict but the vast majority (including the head butler, the fairly intimidating looking Italian) are quite friendly provided you're behaving.

I don't know what the college does about members of other colleges who penny but I doubt they get banned. Kicked out and fined almost certainly though.

Yeah I thought so.

Your brunch is quite good, your bacon is **** though ngl. Your onion rings are on point. Although I've migrated to Queens' brunch, it's cheap asf and about the same quality if not better.

*cough cough*
No comment..

Spoiler

Yeah I thought so.

Your brunch is quite good, your bacon is **** though ngl. Your onion rings are on point. Although I've migrated to Queens' brunch, it's cheap asf and about the same quality if not better.

Our food is only expensive if you're not from the college - we get 1/3 off by paying with our cards. If you're not already, get a Pembroke friend to pay for you as a guest.

For me brunch is all about the fried potatoes. If you're not having them then breakfast is just better.

Never been to Queens' for brunch, but I definitely rate their cafe/bar.
Original post by Mathemagicien
So you can go to other colleges for food? What's to stop someone from staying at a college with a low KFC (kitchen fee), and eating at somewhere where the meals are more subsidised?

For regular meals, like breakfast, lunch, supper/dinner.
For formals, you have to ve 'invited' by someone who is a member of the college.
So you can go to other colleges for food? What's to stop someone from staying at a college with a low KFC (kitchen fee), and eating at somewhere where the meals are more subsidised?

There's nothing stopping you, but the quality differences in the food are entirely personal opinion, and the effort required to constantly eat elsewhere, rather than 100 feet away ... well not many will bother!
*cough cough*
No comment..

Lol, oh dear :tongue:
Original post by DJMayes
Our food is only expensive if you're not from the college - we get 1/3 off by paying with our cards. If you're not already, get a Pembroke friend to pay for you as a guest.

For me brunch is all about the fried potatoes. If you're not having them then breakfast is just better.

Queens' bar is extremely good, large and good value. I go there pretty much every week.

You can eat anywhere you want (except formals - you have to be a guest of a member at that college), provided you can get into the college. E.g at Queens they ask if you're a member of Queens' and I just say yes and apparently that's sufficient lmao. Pembroke you just walk in. Caius might be a little harder. I'm not sure about the specifics, but it doesn't harm to try, nothing's going to happen if you get caught.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes

No waffles on weekend brunch? :frown:
No waffles on weekend brunch? :frown:

Not a massive waffles fan, and with the amount I eat I certainly don't need them extra!
Original post by DJMayes
Not a massive waffles fan, and with the amount I eat I certainly don't need them extra!

So you're not missing anything then.
That was the only reason she got up before midday on Saturdays.

Prmbrke's formal was her best among all the colleges' formals by far, btw.
The famous Michelin chef still there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending