The Student Room Group

English speaking medicine courses in the EU

Hello guys, I recently got my AS results and they turned out to be not as pleasing as I expected them to be. Do not imagine anything disastrous by that , but with a c in chem I don't think I have any chances entering a british uni. So to all my friends out there who are going through something similar or simply wish to apply for an undergraduate medicine course in an english speaking EU uni I'd much appreciate your help and your thoughts :smile:
Reply 1
I am Greek :tongue:
Original post by E.Nancy
Hello guys, I recently got my AS results and they turned out to be not as pleasing as I expected them to be. Do not imagine anything disastrous by that , but with a c in chem I don't think I have any chances entering a british uni. So to all my friends out there who are going through something similar or simply wish to apply for an undergraduate medicine course in an english speaking EU uni I'd much appreciate your help and your thoughts :smile:

Hello ! Sorry to hear about your results :sad:
If you're willing to apply abroad I know these universities :
- Charles 1st, faculty of medicine (Prague, Czech Republik)
- Charles 3rd, faculty of medicine (Hradek Kralove, Czech Republik)
- Palacky University (Palacky, Czech Republik)
- Masaryk University (Brno, Czech Republik)
All of them are something like 12 000$ per year.
I've visited the 1st three and they were very cool places :yep: especially Charles 1st. You need to know that to apply you have to go through an entrance examination process, nothing as hard as A-levels though.

You can also apply for Italian medical schools, through the IMAT (Cambridge Test Assessment) :yep: (1200€ per year)

I've also heard about Bulgaria and Lituania, in which no entrance examinations are needed to get in, but I don't know much about it.

If you're willing to take a very big loan (or if you're incredibly rich) you can apply to Australia (Western Sydney univerisity is a good one) but it'd be 55 000$ per year ._.

Let me know if you have any questions :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you very much you have been really helpfull!!! :smile: At first I thought the site was for UK residents only.
Reply 4
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Hello ! Sorry to hear about your results :sad:
If you're willing to apply abroad I know these universities :
- Charles 1st, faculty of medicine (Prague, Czech Republik)
- Charles 3rd, faculty of medicine (Hradek Kralove, Czech Republik)
- Palacky University (Palacky, Czech Republik)
- Masaryk University (Brno, Czech Republik)
All of them are something like 12 000$ per year.
I've visited the 1st three and they were very cool places :yep: especially Charles 1st. You need to know that to apply you have to go through an entrance examination process, nothing as hard as A-levels though.

You can also apply for Italian medical schools, through the IMAT (Cambridge Test Assessment) :yep: (1200€ per year)

I've also heard about Bulgaria and Lituania, in which no entrance examinations is needed to get in, but I don't know much about it.

If you're willing to take a very big loan (or if you're incredibly rich) you can apply to Australia (Western Sydney univerisity is a good one) but it'd be 55 000$ per year ._.

Let me know if you have any questions :h:

Thank you very much you were really helpfull!!!Where can I find out more info about the entering exam for Charles uni?Is there any practising material online? :smile:
Original post by E.Nancy
Thank you very much you were really helpfull!!!Where can I find out more info about the entering exam for Charles uni?Is there any practising material online? :smile:

You're most welcome :h:

For Charles 1st : http://text.lf1.cuni.cz/en/master-studies?f=for-applicants

Charles 3rd : https://www.lfhk.cuni.cz/Applicants/Undergraduate-Study/Admission-Process/Example-Test-and-Recommended-Literature/

Masaryk : http://www.med.muni.cz/index.php?id=9

Palacky : http://www.medicineinolomouc.com/what-we-require

Sometimes they provide past papers and give you advices so you can buy books and stuff to revise. Also check the links above out, because sometimes you can apply with your A-levels grades and are able to skip the examination (Idk the requirements tho)
Reply 6
Original post by xxxsbxxx
if you can get predicted an A this year (if you did the new AS) you'll still be absolutely fine for applying in the UK btw (and apply for unis that aren't looking at AS)! x

I sat the IAL this year for the AS so that's out for me :/
Reply 7
You can try in Ireland, but apparently you have to pass a test in Dublin in February.

http://www.tcd.ie/study/eu/undergraduate/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
You can try in Ireland, but apparently you have to pass a test in Dublin in February.

http://www.tcd.ie/study/eu/undergraduate/

Oh I didn't know about that ! It'll be useful, thanks :3
Reply 9
Oh I didn't know about that ! It'll be useful, thanks :3

I thought you were already going to Czech Republic?
Original post by Josb
I thought you were already going to Czech Republic?

Not sure about that ! I've missed 2 offers from 1 mark out of 20 in physics lol (for both :lol: ) and I'm waiting for the decisions of the 2 others offers
Also preparing for IMAT, just in case :P
Reply 11
Not sure about that ! I've missed 2 offers from 1 mark out of 20 in physics lol (for both :lol: ) and I'm waiting for the decisions of the 2 others offers
Also preparing for IMAT, just in case :P

Ah ok, the Irish test looks tough though.
Original post by Josb
Ah ok, the Irish test looks tough though.

I'll check this out, if it has a lot of physics in it I won't have a lot of chances xD
Reply 13
I'll check this out, if it has a lot of physics in it I won't have a lot of chances xD

Have you looked at Quebec universities too?
Original post by Josb
Have you looked at Quebec universities too?

I haven't, I've heard they only accept students with a high grade at baccalaureate, do you know something about that ? (I had 13/20 at my Bac S)

Spoiler

Reply 15
I haven't, I've heard they only accept students with a high grade at baccalaureate, do you know something about that ? (I had 13/20 at my Bac S)

Spoiler

It seems that Canadian unis don't have a BA in Medicine and that you only enroll in the Doctor of Medicine program (MD) once you have completed an undergraduate degree related to Medicine.

So the BAs related to Medicine are there:
http://medecine.umontreal.ca/etudes/baccalaureats/

Some are restricted to Canadian applicants though.
Original post by Josb
It seems that Canadian unis don't have a BA in Medicine and that you only enroll in the Doctor of Medicine program (MD) once you have completed an undergraduate degree related to Medicine.

So the BAs related to Medicine are there:
http://medecine.umontreal.ca/etudes/baccalaureats/

Some are restricted to Canadian applicants though.

Ohhh I see ! I shall have a look then, thank you :h:
Original post by frenchunicorn
hello ! Sorry to hear about your results :sad:
If you're willing to apply abroad i know these universities :
- charles 1st, faculty of medicine (prague, czech republik)
- charles 3rd, faculty of medicine (hradek kralove, czech republik)
- palacky university (palacky, czech republik)
- masaryk university (brno, czech republik)
all of them are something like 12 000$ per year.
I've visited the 1st three and they were very cool places :yep: Especially charles 1st. You need to know that to apply you have to go through an entrance examination process, nothing as hard as a-levels though.

You can also apply for italian medical schools, through the imat (cambridge test assessment) :yep: (1200€ per year)

i've also heard about bulgaria and lituania, in which no entrance examinations are needed to get in, but i don't know much about it.

If you're willing to take a very big loan (or if you're incredibly rich) you can apply to australia (western sydney univerisity is a good one) but it'd be 55 000$ per year ._.

Let me know if you have any questions :h

no chance in aus i guarantee - - - try jcu ...more corrupt than any eastern european uni as they need the funds

Quick Reply

Latest