The Student Room Group

How many interviews have you been to before getting a job?

Everyone I know who has a menial part time job scored it from their first interview. Meanwhile, I've had six interviews and been rejected every single time for petty reasons, even if I've been told outright I had a good interview technique.

I'm seriously depressed and sick of it all. I don't want to try anymore because rejection is the norm for me.
I think i had about 10 before i got my job
Reply 2
Original post by Jackieox
I think i had about 10 before i got my job

That actually makes me feel a lot better. Should I just keep it up? I'm printing out a load of copies of my CV tonight, so should I just hand them into shops/cafes etc and hope for the best?
have you had any feedback? what was it?

tbh in my whole life I have had 8 interviews for paid work and was successful in 6 of those, obviously I've applied to many more places than that and have so few interviews as I've stayed at jobs for a while

however as far as my work goes... I started off working as an xmas temp and then did call center work (they will literally take ANYONE at a call center as most people only last a month or two) and post uni I worked in some jobs I was overqualified for to get experience so that helped me get those
Reply 4
Original post by doodle_333
have you had any feedback? what was it?

tbh in my whole life I have had 8 interviews for paid work and was successful in 6 of those, obviously I've applied to many more places than that and have so few interviews as I've stayed at jobs for a while

however as far as my work goes... I started off working as an xmas temp and then did call center work (they will literally take ANYONE at a call center as most people only last a month or two) and post uni I worked in some jobs I was overqualified for to get experience so that helped me get those

The only time I've EVER had feedback was to tell me my interview went great and I would have been hired if they could hire more applicants, but they were gonna give the job to a girl who was related to the manager instead.
Original post by smc720
The only time I've EVER had feedback was to tell me my interview went great and I would have been hired if they could hire more applicants, but they were gonna give the job to a girl who was related to the manager instead.

if anyone calls you again ask specifically if they have feedback but if this person said you were great I'd imagine you're not doing anything wrong - you've just got unlucky, sometimes it's a numbers game especially for your first job
How many interviews I had, we had, you had is irrelevant. What's relevant is that you get what you're going to these interviews for, no matter how many attempts it takes. Everyone gets different amounts of luck meaning that some get a job straight away and others don't. Anyone who is boasting about "I got a job first interview, my interview skills are amazing" just applied for the right role at the right time and didn't have to go through all the **** others go through.

The fact is that there are people out there that will submit hundreds, if not thousands, of applications, and from them they'll get about 3 interviews, all of which will be unsuccessful. You are young and have been invited to 6 interviews, meaning you have the necessary skills for employers to look at your CV and like the sound of you. One of them is going to look at you in person and like the look of you as well. Being invited to 6 interviews is, in fact, quite the achievement in itself. DO NOT GIVE UP.

How good are these jobs you wanted? Because for all we know, the reason you're getting rejected from interviews for jobs you like the sound of could be because something even better is around the corner. That's how you have to think about it.

Don't worry about us or your peers, just focus on getting what you're looking for. Good luck.
Reply 7
Original post by FightToWin
How many interviews I had, we had, you had is irrelevant. What's relevant is that you get what you're going to these interviews for, no matter how many attempts it takes. Everyone gets different amounts of luck meaning that some get a job straight away and others don't. Anyone who is boasting about "I got a job first interview, my interview skills are amazing" just applied for the right role at the right time and didn't have to go through all the **** others go through.

The fact is that there are people out there that will submit hundreds, if not thousands, of applications, and from them they'll get about 3 interviews, all of which will be unsuccessful. You are young and have been invited to 6 interviews, meaning you have the necessary skills for employers to look at your CV and like the sound of you. One of them is going to look at you in person and like the look of you as well. Being invited to 6 interviews is, in fact, quite the achievement in itself. DO NOT GIVE UP.

How good are these jobs you wanted? Because for all we know, the reason you're getting rejected from interviews for jobs you like the sound of could be because something even better is around the corner. That's how you have to think about it.

Don't worry about us or your peers, just focus on getting what you're looking for. Good luck.

Thank you so much for saying this! You've genuinely lifted a huge weight off my shoulders 😊
I got a job from the first interview
but
I sucked up harder than a Dyson to get it
Original post by jamesthehustler
I got a job from the first interview
but
I sucked up harder than a Dyson to get it

There's nothing wrong with that as long as it's not a different kind of sucking.
Original post by FightToWin
There's nothing wrong with that as long as it's not a different kind of sucking.

all above the belt with the boss

Spoiler

Withij the past 4 years Ive had 4 jobs and got them all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending