The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xJessScott
well done :smile:) what sort of stuff did you get on abstract? was it fairly obscure shapes and not easy to work out? or why do you think you guessed them all?

To be Honest... I didn't pay any attention what so ever to the shapes... I think out of of all of them I only could recognize 1 pattern. I however could answer a couple of which one is next in the set etc. I couldn't do AR before I went into the exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Using the following formula as an estimate: 300 + (% of correct answers * 600) = total score; if your guesses were completely random your AR score would have been about (1/3) * 600 + 300 = 500.

If you saw one correct pattern (and assuming you got those 5 questions correct) that should be about (5/55) * 600 = 54 points. If the other answers were completely random you would get about (1/3) * 546 + 354= 536
(edited 7 years ago)
I've got my UKCAT exam tomorrow and I've been going through the ISC 1000 Questions book but the quantitative reasoning questions just seem so hard and I can never get close to the required time.

I'd appreciate any help on the matter
well done :smile:) what sort of stuff did you get on abstract? was it fairly obscure shapes and not easy to work out? or why do you think you guessed them all?

They aren't obscure. They are quite simple really. You just need to look out for the obvious and not panic a lot. It was the type 2 questions which threw me tbh
does anyone know the general cut offs for each band for situational judgement???

75% for Band 1 (with partial marks) but in the actual test I think that's much lower.
Original post by studentsixth
They aren't obscure. They are quite simple really. You just need to look out for the obvious and not panic a lot. It was the type 2 questions which threw me tbh

ok thanks :smile:
75% for Band 1 (with partial marks) but in the actual test I think that's much lower.

ah ok thanks :smile:
Does anyone know if you skip the minute of instruction whether those extra seconds carry over to the actual questions or not?
Original post by arveen.x
Does anyone know if you skip the minute of instruction whether those extra seconds carry over to the actual questions or not?

They do not. Also, if you spend more than a minute on the instructions the time will be deducted from the actual exam itself.
Original post by Usaamah
Just did my UKCAT... did better than I expected

VR: 550
QR: 720
AR: 600
SJ: BAND 3

Got 1870/2700 which is enough for Sheffield... I am on the SOAMS scheme hence I get a guaranteed interview!

VR: The passages you had to read were very long.... I algo very few T/F/C questions.

QR: Was much easier than practice tests.... answered as many questions as possible CORRECTLY before time ran out... guessed the rest.

AR: Absolutely Guessed all of them....

well done on your score! for abstract reasoning did you make logical guesses or just blindly guess?
Is it worth getting medify or not as I am just currently revising from the 100Q book.
Original post by samrosenwalker
well done on your score! for abstract reasoning did you make logical guesses or just blindly guess?

Blind!...
Original post by Samantha48124
In VR how many questions were comprehension and how many were T/F/CT

I got 3 t/f/ct, although I found these hard as well!
Original post by Pra99
I got 3 t/f/ct, although I found these hard as well!

Was it me or were the statement questions SO much easier than the T/F/CT questions!? I just couldn't with some of them XD
They do not. Also, if you spend more than a minute on the instructions the time will be deducted from the actual exam itself.

Haha I did that and I lost a minute from AR. I panicked so much it's ridiculous!!
Was it me or were the statement questions SO much easier than the T/F/CT questions!? I just couldn't with some of them XD

They were all hard for me!
I know this is a random question but did you do your exam in Liverpool by any chance?
Original post by Pra99
They were all hard for me!
I know this is a random question but did you do your exam in Liverpool by any chance?

Nah, I did mine in Doncaster 😂 I was s***ting myself through VR!

okay thank you
Nah, I did mine in Doncaster 😂 I was s***ting myself through VR!

Yeh, I underestimated the difference pressure can make.
i didn't practice enough for the UKCAT and got a low score because I thought I was going to fail my AS exams, turns out I got four As, fate works in mysterious ways

Quick Reply

Latest