The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dairychocolate
Def go UEA and Plymouth with that UKCAT, especially if your GCSEs are good. Maybe Liverpool, too. Def worth reapplying even if your B doesn't come back as an A. I also got A*AB originally and now, all things going to plan, I'm going to do med this September.

If your B comes back as an A then you'll not be applying as a resitter so normal rules apply.

Okay thanks. So if there much point retaking it as it'll limit my uni choice or just do it anyway? Btw are you going in through alevels or did you take a gap year. Thanks!
Original post by Kings_queens
Okay thanks. So if there much point retaking it as it'll limit my uni choice or just do it anyway? Btw are you going in through alevels or did you take a gap year. Thanks!

It's not the retaking that will limit your choice but the B grade. If you have an A, you could just apply as a gap year candidate and not resit anything since your grades already meet medical school requirements. However, if you get a B, you're going to need to resit as you wouldn't meet the entry requirements for any medical school (apart from Keele) with A*AB and then you'd also need to research which medical schools accept candidates who take their A levels over 3 years.

The thing is, with the specification changing, will you actually be able to resit?
Def go UEA and Plymouth with that UKCAT, especially if your GCSEs are good. Maybe Liverpool, too. Def worth reapplying even if your B doesn't come back as an A. I also got A*AB originally and now, all things going to plan, I'm going to do med this September.

If your B comes back as an A then you'll not be applying as a resitter so normal rules apply.

Hey, where are you going to do med? Congrats btw!
Do you think it's worth me resitting and reapplying with AAB and a ukcat in the low 600s? I know I can go for BSMS and Lancaster because they want the bmat, I'm afraid my ukcat isn't high enough for UEA and Liverpool or Plymouth though :s-smilie:
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Hey, where are you going to do med? Congrats btw!
Do you think it's worth me resitting and reapplying with AAB and a ukcat in the low 600s? I know I can go for BSMS and Lancaster because they want the bmat, I'm afraid my ukcat isn't high enough for UEA and Liverpool or Plymouth though :s-smilie:

Hey, thanks. I'll be starting at Norwich.

Is that UKCAT from this application cycle? You need to re-do it every time you apply.

I agree that you'll probably want to avoid UEA and Plymouth. UEA uses the UKCAT before and after interview, while Plymouth gives everyone above their UKCAT section cutoffs an interview. You'll probably want to avoid Exeter, too, unless you can get predicted 3 A* (or 2 A* if you go to a school that they've listed as disadvantaged) and it'd still be a bit of a stretch depending on their UKCAT cutoffs.

That leaves Liverpool, Lancaster and BSMS, as far as I can tell. That might not sound like a lot, but a high/decent BMAT can pretty much guarantee you interviews at BSMS/Lancaster (provided you meet their other criteria) and 2 interviews should give you a very good chance of an offer. As far as the remaining two spots, I'd try and somehow get 3 A* (or 2 A* if you go to a school that they've listed as disadvantaged) predictions and apply to Exeter, too. I'd also apply to Liverpool as they only started using the UKCAT recently and might not be too harsh, especially if your GCSEs and predicted grades are good.

So, in your position, I'd go: BSMS, Lancaster, Liverpool and Exeter

I can't emphasise enough how important it is for you to prepare for the BMAT. Do well in that and you'll be in an excellent position, but I imagine you'll have a tough time with the UKCAT unis. You won't have school so it should be easy enough to really emphasise BMAT preparation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Hi, gonna PM you :smile:

Been following this thread :smile: did you get into BSMS?! x
Original post by samrosenwalker
Been following this thread :smile: did you get into BSMS?! x

yes somehow, on results day! I was put on their waiting list and got in
can somenone pls help me
i got A level grades AAB last year. like everyone else here, i took a gap yr and resat the B and took up an extra A level. i got an interview from just one uni and was put on (and currently still on) a reserve list. my a level grades are now AAAA. I rang the uni and they said that they have filled all their places but will keep me on the reserve list until mid october as ppl may drop out etc.

the question now is what do i do? i have an offer for biomed at newcastle and understand that they allow ppl to transfer to med. i may also apply to two other unis that accept applications from first years whilst in the first year of biomed.i really do not want to take another gap year.

i am really confused atm and all this uncertainty is killing me. i would really appreciate someones advise. :s-smilie:
Hi guys I got BBB, ( 2 marks of an A in bio and maths and 5 marks of an A in chem). I'm going to resit some modules I'm thinking of Exeter, Liverpool and Lancaster. After speaking to my teachers they're willing too predict me A*A*A as bio and maths were so close and I only need to sit one paper per subject really to get that 90% average. My personal statement is solid and I'm working stupid hard for the ukcat. How are my chances? What can I do to bolster them?
Thank you!
Original post by HarveySpecter97
Hi guys I got BBB, ( 2 marks of an A in bio and maths and 5 marks of an A in chem). I'm going to resit some modules I'm thinking of Exeter, Liverpool and Lancaster. After speaking to my teachers they're willing too predict me A*A*A as bio and maths were so close and I only need to sit one paper per subject really to get that 90% average. My personal statement is solid and I'm working stupid hard for the ukcat. How are my chances? What can I do to bolster them?

Thank you!

You're on the right track but, with A*A*A predictions, I'd be wary of Exeter unless they consider your school to be disadvantaged using their contextual data.

Hard for me to give more advice without knowing your GCSE grades and (once you've done it) UKCAT score.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by wishingwillow
can somenone pls help me i got A level grades AAB last year. like everyone else here, i took a gap yr and resat the B and took up an extra A level. i got an interview from just one uni and was put on (and currently still on) a reserve list. my a level grades are now AAAA. I rang the uni and they said that they have filled all their places but will keep me on the reserve list until mid october as ppl may drop out etc. the question now is what do i do? i have an offer for biomed at newcastle and understand that they allow ppl to transfer to med. i may also apply to two other unis that accept applications from first years whilst in the first year of biomed.i really do not want to take another gap year. i am really confused atm and all this uncertainty is killing me. i would really appreciate someones advise. :s-smilie:
Hey, I remember you! Fingers crossed the uni comes through. If I were you I would ask if they could still consider you if you're enrolled on the biomed course. Congratulations for those grades, you've done really well! I think the best thing to do is stay on the course and stay in contact with the uni to show that you're still interested. See if you can find out what position you're on if possible, that will give you a better idea. If you don't get in, you're at least in a uni. As a resitter you could reapply for Exeter, BSMS and Plymouth as far as I know during first year, though.

Hi guys I got BBB, ( 2 marks of an A in bio and maths and 5 marks of an A in chem). I'm going to resit some modules I'm thinking of Exeter, Liverpool and Lancaster. After speaking to my teachers they're willing too predict me A*A*A as bio and maths were so close and I only need to sit one paper per subject really to get that 90% average. My personal statement is solid and I'm working stupid hard for the ukcat. How are my chances? What can I do to bolster them? Thank you!
Okay, if you don't have extenuation Lancaster won't accept you - you need ABB to be able to apply. Try and get your chemistry grade up to an A* before applying to Exeter - if you do that you'll be in tier 1, so you should be guaranteed an interview. The rest of your choices could be something medically related perhaps, unless you're eligible for foundation courses?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ToeHold
I asked one of my old teachers for a reference, he said 'Medicine is not for you, think of something else.'

Still have it saved in my e-mail.... I got an offer.

I hope you become super successful*:biggrin: It's always a great feeling when you prove someone wrong
You're on the right track but, with A*A*A predictions, I'd be wary of Exeter unless they consider your school to be disadvantaged using their contextual data.

Hard for me to give more advice without knowing your GCSE grades and (once you've done it) UKCAT score.

GCSE's are 6 A's 3 B's and a C. I emailed liverpool and they said as long as you meet the requirements and ukcat cut off you'll proceed to the next stage?
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Hey, I remember you! Fingers crossed the uni comes through. If I were you I would ask if they could still consider you if you're enrolled on the biomed course. Congratulations for those grades, you've done really well! I think the best thing to do is stay on the course and stay in contact with the uni to show that you're still interested. See if you can find out what position you're on if possible, that will give you a better idea. If you don't get in, you're at least in a uni. As a resitter you could reapply for Exeter, BSMS and Plymouth as far as I know during first year, though.

* Okay, if you don't have extenuation Lancaster won't accept you - you need ABB to be able to apply. Try and get your chemistry grade up to an A* before applying to Exeter - if you do that you'll be in tier 1, so you should be guaranteed an interview. The rest of your choices could be something medically related perhaps, unless you're eligible for foundation courses?

Okay thank you, I'm seeing my chem teacher today to talk about my predicted grade (I was predicted an A* last year so hoping he'll predict me an A* this year), Is an interview at Exeter not guaranteed with A*A*A predictions and a good UKCAT?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you!

I had BBB at A2 in August 2015 and retook my alevels and reapplied to liv, Lanc and Exeter. I got rejected from Exeter (probably because I had A*AA predictions) but got offers from Liverpool and Lancaster and now I made my Liverpool offer and am starting next month. It is a massive risk to reapply especially with BBB and my teachers massively discouraged me from doing so but I ignored them and now I made it lol but I think it's a risk you need to take if medicine is something you want to do. I even had a back up place in a university abroad ready but I didn't need it, you could consider that too? But since you have better predictions than I did I think you might stand a chance, especially if you ace ukcat/bmat! Good luck and I hope it goes well, feel free to ask any more questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I had BBB at A2 in August 2015 and retook my alevels and reapplied to liv, Lanc and Exeter. I got rejected from Exeter (probably because I had A*AA predictions) but got offers from Liverpool and Lancaster and now I made my Liverpool offer and am starting next month. It is a massive risk to reapply especially with BBB and my teachers massively discouraged me from doing so but I ignored them and now I made it lol but I think it's a risk you need to take if medicine is something you want to do. I even had a back up place in a university abroad ready but I didn't need it, you could consider that too? But since you have better predictions than I did I think you might stand a chance, especially if you ace ukcat/bmat! Good luck and I hope it goes well, feel free to ask any more questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

what a2 grades did you get after resitting?
what a2 grades did you get after resitting?

A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile

what did exeter want?
what did exeter want?

I didn't get an interview from Exeter so I'm not sure what they wanted, but I think if I had higher predictions I may have gotten one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I didn't get an interview from Exeter so I'm not sure what they wanted, but I think if I had higher predictions I may have gotten one

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh okay see i'm only retaking one A-level and was wondering whether I have to get an A* in it or not
Okay thank you, I'm seeing my chem teacher today to talk about my predicted grade (I was predicted an A* last year so hoping he'll predict me an A* this year), Is an interview at Exeter not guaranteed with A*A*A predictions and a good UKCAT?

A large number of us from this group applied with A*AA/A*A*A predictions without getting interviewed. I had 687.5 Band 1 and A*A*A predictions and I wasn't interviewed by Exeter either. The UKCAT cut off was low, an average of like 580, but only put in one tier. So only those in tier one (A*A*A*) with a UKCAT higher than that were interviewed, which excluded all of us who applied with lower predictions. Did you go to a grammar school? If not and you went to a lower performing school as I think dairychocolate said then you could have a chance with A*A*A as that factor will bump you up a tier.*

For Liverpool, they score your best 9 GCSES, with A*/A getting 2 and B getting 1 point. So you'd have a score of 15/18, which would actually put you quite low. Most people who are interviewed have 17/18, so it may be risky. And I got 18 points and a decent UKCAT above the cut off and wasn't interviewed - they place quite a bit of emphasis on the personal statement. Make sure you add the part about needing to resit if you do apply there, though. So I really recommend having a look into courses with a foundation year which have lower requirements. (Kings you could apply to without retaking for example)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest