The Student Room Group

Reapplying - can I use parts of my previous PS?

Hello, so I am aware that if you copy from other Personal Statements you can get flagged and universities will be notified etc, but would they be able to see that it's simply from your old personal statement. As obviously my big achievements, work experience etc haven't changed so I would have to write lots of the same things
Original post by DylanJ42
Hello, so I am aware that if you copy from other Personal Statements you can get flagged and universities will be notified etc, but would they be able to see that it's simply from your old personal statement. As obviously my big achievements, work experience etc haven't changed so I would have to write lots of the same things

Yes the system should be able to tell them that you were the original author. Change what you can though, i m sure something like change in your gap year.
It's best if you contact UCAS, they can tell you for sure
It's fine - just make sure what you keep is still relevant and useful for your current application
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Yes the system should be able to tell them that you were the original author. Change what you can though, i m sure something like change in your gap year.

yea yea itll be different but certain sentences will be pretty much the same ie "In year 12 i won xyz prize for some project i done"

Original post by *Interrobang*
It's fine - just make sure what you keep is still relevant and useful for your current application

alright thanks a lot :biggrin: just wanted to make sure
yea yea itll be different but certain sentences will be pretty much the same ie "In year 12 i won xyz prize for some project i done"

alright thanks a lot :biggrin: just wanted to make sure

that example you've written is unnecessary to put in your PS at all. Your referee can mention things like that
Reply 6
that example you've written is unnecessary to put in your PS at all. Your referee can mention things like that

oh really!

Also I see you are a PS reviewer, if i need help do I just PM you about that or is there a thread for it?
oh really!

Also I see you are a PS reviewer, if i need help do I just PM you about that or is there a thread for it?

There's a forum linked at the top of this forum, but you need to go through the PS builder tool first to try and make it as good as you can. Don't PM your PS to anyone or post it on the public area of this site (pretty much everywhere)
Reply 8
There's a forum linked at the top of this forum, but you need to go through the PS builder tool first to try and make it as good as you can. Don't PM your PS to anyone or post it on the public area of this site (pretty much everywhere)

oh okay ill go through that then once i get around to rewriting it. Thanks a lot for your help :smile:
Original post by claireestelle

What system do they use?
Reply 10
Yes - I transferred unis this year and when I applied on UCAS this year, I copied and pasted my exact same personal statement from when I was in Year 13 (word for word) and I had no issues :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by eden3
Yes - I transferred unis this year and when I applied on UCAS this year, I copied and pasted my exact same personal statement from when I was in Year 13 (word for word) and I had no issues :smile:

thank you :biggrin: glad to hear it
If I reapply with only minor changes to my personal statement will universities look down upon it?

Am I expected to come up with a new one to demonstrate that I can speak about the course I want to do, beyond what I originally came up with?
Original post by WhiteBerry.
If I reapply with only minor changes to my personal statement will universities look down upon it?

Am I expected to come up with a new one to demonstrate that I can speak about the course I want to do, beyond what I originally came up with?

It won't matter what you reuse, as long as it is still relevant and important in the PS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending