The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rian7
Thank you for answering my question :smile:

I have called the general admission phone line and a lady stated that they accept a handful of transfers but this is at the discretion of the college. I will need to call individual college and ask them if they do accept transfers and how it works. I don't know if this helps, but either way thank you for trying to find out.

Thank you for letting me know. I'll be interested if you do find a college that will accept this - it's against policy! I suspect that the person you spoke to at CAO thought that you were talking about affiliated entry.
Reply 881
Is it possible to get an unconditional offer from university for a course requiring BBB with BCCc obtained A-Level Grades? Would it help if I mention in my personal statement that I was home-schooled and prepared for all three exams in 10 months?

Thanks for your help.
Many thanks, especially for a detailed response at such a busy time for you.
Original post by yooj98
Is it possible to get an unconditional offer from university for a course requiring BBB with BCCc obtained A-Level Grades? Would it help if I mention in my personal statement that I was home-schooled and prepared for all three exams in 10 months?

Thanks for your help.

Are you sure you're posting in a right forum?
This is the forum for University of Cambridge-specific questions, not for questions on university application in general, and there is no course at Cambridge with minimum requirement of BBB. ( their lowest requirement is A*AA.)
so I'm afraid there's no one in this forum who may be able to help you with your question.

Can't suggest which forum is helpful for your case, but maybe you can look it up in the forum's index?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Eden00
Sorry to ask another question, the Cambridge website says the typical offer for History is A*/A/A, I was just wondering whether the a* would be required to be in history, or would getting A*/A*/A with the A*'s in maths and further maths be better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sometimes colleges will peg the A* to the subject which the student wishes to study. It's quite common and is often done for the reasons @vincrows. It can also be good insurance where our average successful humanities student gets between 2 and 3 A*s. It allows one to relax the offer if they make A*A*A or A*AA but miss the A* in History or to be more strict if the circumstances warrant it.
Original post by SuttonHoo
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer this, and all the other questions. It's been so helpful to read all of your advice and I'm really grateful to you and TSR for these pages. Good luck to everyone!

Thank you, it's my pleasure to help and best of luck for your application.
Original post by Jamz-5
Hello,

I got an A in my maths AS, and thought that would be fine, but reading through here, I'm concerned my UMS might not be high enough.
I got 93 in core 1, 76 in core 2, and 90 in M1, giving me an average of 86.3
I'd like to apply for natural sciences, specifically biological sciences. Will this UMS score be a problem? Should I consider retaking core 2?

Thanks

There's no need to retake C2 concentrate on C3 and C4. Retaking C2 will make no difference to your application as you wont have the result by the time you apply.

Your Maths score won't be among the best Maths scores for Bip Nat Sci applicants but there are plenty of other areas where you can show greater strength. Your application isn't going to be rejected because of one score so try not to worry too much. :smile:
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Sometimes colleges will peg the A* to the subject which the student wishes to study. It's quite common and is often done for the reasons @vincrows. It can also be good insurance where our average successful humanities student gets between 2 and 3 A*s. It allows one to relax the offer if they make A*A*A or A*AA but miss the A* in History or to be more strict if the circumstances warrant it.

ha! Never thought thats another reason.
Life is the never ending learning curve. Thank you for yet another insight. :smile:
Original post by vincrows
ha! Never thought thats another reason.
Life is the never ending learning curve. Thank you for yet another insight. :smile:

When you have so many good applicants, it's good sometimes to give yourself some wiggle room in August in case you've made mistakes.
Original post by yooj98

Thanks for your help.

Not from Cambridge, I'm afraid no. As for other universities, I don't know, you'd need to ask them. Sorry.
When you have so many good applicants, it's good sometimes to give yourself some wiggle room in August in case you've made mistakes.

Always good to be prepared. :smile:
Original post by Hjortlund
As a reapplicant, will you have access to my application to King's from last year? I saw that @Peterhouse Admissions mentioned that unsuccesful applications are shredded in his/her thread, but I was wondering if that is the case at all colleges, and specifically Christ's?

We don't have access to your application, no. We only know that you applied. Our applications from this year will be picked up and delivered to the shredder in the next few weeks,
Original post by vincrows
Always good to be prepared. :smile:

We are boy scouts and girl guides all! :smile: Forget Duke of Edinburgh award that's the way to a Cambridge offer [tat's a joke of course to anyone tempted to take it seriously!]
Hi!

Just out of curiosity, does doing this Q&A tire you out like a necessary evil or do you enjoy answering all these questions?

(this would seem really tedious to me although its for the greater good!)
Original post by yooj98

Thanks for your help.

I suggest you ask in the main Applications & UCAS forum rather than here in the Cambridge specific forum.

Try here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=6
We are boy scouts and girl guides all! :smile: Forget Duke of Edinburgh award that's the way to a Cambridge offer [tat's a joke of course to anyone tempted to take it seriously!]

Lol wish the government had been as well prepared as Cambridge for brexit vote. :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Hello,

I was wondering, how are applicants expected to prepare for the at-interview assessments (for Philosophy in particular, as that is the course I'm interested in), given the recent changes? Are competent candidates expected to read around the subject, take the intiative of finding similar problems/questions ourselves or is there something specific (e.g. recommended resources) that we'd be expected to make use of?

Do the interviews at Cambridge work in the same way as those at Oxford (which I'm using as a reference because I've researched it more previously)?Do the different colleges have different styles of interviewing?

Finally, what chance do I stand of making a competitive application (for Philosophy, 2017 entry)?
Academic profile:
11A*s at GCSE
AAAAA at AS (a B was resat to improve to an A this year, UMS (95+) is in Maths only, the others are unfortunately pretty weak ~80+ only). ASs in MAths, Physics, History, French, Critical Thinking.
A in EPQ
AAB overall at A level in Maths, History and Physics respectively - I was predicted A*A*A but significantly underperformed (i.e. weak UMS scores) due to extentuating circumstances (pertaining to mental health), so would retake at least four of my exams to secure the two A*s.

In my gap year I'd also plan to complete French A2, do Further Maths AS, do extensive reading and attend public lectures relating to my subject, keep a philosophy blog, and participate in a volunteering/tutoring project abroad for about a month or so.
Original post by flameskid0909
Hello,

I was wondering, how are applicants expected to prepare for the at-interview assessments (for Philosophy in particular, as that is the course I'm interested in), given the recent changes? Are competent candidates expected to read around the subject, take the intiative of finding similar problems/questions ourselves or is there something specific (e.g. recommended resources) that we'd be expected to make use of?

Do the interviews at Cambridge work in the same way as those at Oxford (which I'm using as a reference because I've researched it more previously)?Do the different colleges have different styles of interviewing?

Finally, what chance do I stand of making a competitive application (for Philosophy, 2017 entry)?
Academic profile:
11A*s at GCSE
AAAAA at AS (a B was resat to improve to an A this year, UMS (95+) is in Maths only, the others are unfortunately pretty weak ~80+ only). ASs in MAths, Physics, History, French, Critical Thinking.
A in EPQ
AAB overall at A level in Maths, History and Physics respectively - I was predicted A*A*A but significantly underperformed (i.e. weak UMS scores) due to extentuating circumstances (pertaining to mental health), so would retake at least four of my exams to secure the two A*s.

In my gap year I'd also plan to complete French A2, do Further Maths AS, do extensive reading and attend public lectures relating to my subject, keep a philosophy blog, and participate in a volunteering/tutoring project abroad for about a month or so.

To add further detail, at AS: all As except a high B (46/50) in French Speaking. A2 was admittedly abysmal due to my circumstances (E in D1 which did not contribute to any overall grade, D in stats 2, C and D in two Physics exams, high Bs in Core 3 and Core 4 MEI Maths). I know it's looking pretty unlikely, but I have to know.
Hi,

Do you think you could explain the key differences between Mathematics A and Mathematics B, in terms course content and advantages?

Thanks!
I dont think you'd need to resit the FM. With A*A*A you'd be ok to apply and a decent candidate though not one of the strongest on paper. If you want to apply for the 50% option with maths, obvious the best preparation you can do is practice your maths as you'll need to impress the mathematicians.

Thank you very much for your reply! I'll be sure to keep practicing. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending