The Student Room Group

HELP! - Im into med school but I am regretting it!?

Scroll to see replies

Hi op here again,

Thank you all for the advice .. I am still a little on the fence and it makes it harder that I am not getting a student loan, I am using my parents which just adds more pressure to my decision. They would happily finance my med school, but not any other degree ...

Anyway, I hope I make the right choice ...
OP, are you going to Imperial?
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous

If you are wondering, I got A*A*A(b) this year, so its not a matter of entry requirements, I am just panicking!

Like we needed to know your exact grades. You could've just said that you've exceeded your conditions to study. Please, reign in your feathers and regain some humility. And just go on, go study medicine; join the thousands like yourself, who're just as confused, that act on shallow thinking. Go, earn plenty of money, exploiting the profession I love. :mad2:

I'm going off this thread now. All haranguing aside, I wish you the best in whatever you do. And if you're not the person I supposed you were, then I apologise. :smile:

G
Reply 23
Op here

Isnt it better to get a medical degree then set up your own business rather than have no degree to fall back on?

you can always intercalate (aka, get a BSc in your 3rd/4th year) and eventually drop out then. Or just go to business degree, pass it and be successful without a back up plan.

I know a guy who finished med school and is a magician now, medicine is his back up for when hes old and not entertaining anymore. But he changed his mind halfway through med school, you have a chance to do it earlier.
Can you even practice medicine if you don't do your F1 fairly soon after getting your degree? I doubt you can use your degree to apply for F1 positions 4+ years after qualifying.
Original post by G.name
Like we needed to know your exact grades. You could've just said that you've exceeded your conditions to study. Please, reign in your feathers and regain some humility. And just go on, go study medicine; join the thousands like yourself, who're just as confused, that act on shallow thinking. Go, earn plenty of money, exploiting the profession I love. :mad2:

I'm going off this thread now. All haranguing aside, I wish you the best in whatever you do. And if you're not the person I supposed you were, then I apologise. :smile:

G

You didn't help me at all. It feel like the whole point of you being on this thread was to write long responses using the most complex words you could google to create the illusion you know what you are talking about. Please stop replying as its just a waste of your time, and mine.

P.s- Stop signing each post with "G". You're in no way significant, and no one skim reading the posts will recognise who "G" is :smile:
Reply 26
You didn't help me at all. It feel like the whole point of you being on this thread was to write long responses using the most complex words you could google to create the illusion you know what you are talking about. Please stop replying as its just a waste of your time, and mine.

P.s- Stop signing each post with "G". You're in no way significant, and no one skim reading the posts will recognise who "G" is :smile:

I bite my tongue. If you read it all carefully, you will see it's intelligible, and you actually might do some self-reflection; you know, that quality you feigned to show at interview. Too, It's a shame you have to resort to an ad hominem attack. And how's signing off a sign of significance? It's normal practice, when you've said something original, which I believe I did.

G

Oh wait, let me do that again.

G

What's that?

Oh yes, free-will, you cretin.

G :007:
Original post by G.name
I bite my tongue. If you read it all carefully, you will see it's intelligible, and you actually might do some self-reflection; you know, that quality you feigned to show at interview. Too, It's a shame you have to resort to an ad hominem attack. And how's signing off a sign of significance? It's normal practice, when you've said something original, which I believe I did.

G

Oh wait, let me do that again.

G

What's that?

Oh yes, free-will, you cretin.

G :007:

Then it's free will I post my grades :smile: Don't pick on my grades, and I won't pick on your "G".

P.s- Your "attack" attacked my character anyway .. so yea, you are guilty of an ad hominem attack yourself :smile:

Good luck with your UKCAT and med applications.
Reply 28
Then it's free will I post my grades :smile: Don't pick on my grades, and I won't pick on your "G".

P.s- Your "attack" attacked my character anyway .. so yea, you are guilty of an ad hominem attack yourself :smile:

Good luck with your UKCAT and med applications.

Oh go away you pest. And FYI, what you call an attack, I deem an observation. In fact, by spotting your logical fallacy, I found flaws in your rebuttal, if we're taking this to be an argument. So, yes, I didn't make that fallacy, you did; and I only reported that to you.

I wasn't picking on your grades. If you can read, you'll see that in fact, I commented that it was superfluous. And that the only reason to include them, over other more humble ways, of which I gave an example mind you, is to show them off.

Grow up. Stop taking offence to everything I say, think about them instead. If you want to succeed in Medicine, and that seems a big if, then you need to accept criticism; however they may make you feel, you must respond intelligently to them. Not with just an arrogance you're showing now. It's not good for patients. If you care, you'll take that on board.

G

:flybye:
Original post by G.name
Oh go away you pest. And FYI, what you call an attack, I deem an observation. In fact, by spotting your logical fallacy, I found flaws in your rebuttal, if we're taking this to be an argument. So, yes, I didn't make that fallacy, you did; and I only reported that to you.

I wasn't picking on your grades. If you can read, you'll see that in fact, I commented that it was superfluous. And that the only reason to include them, over other more humble ways, of which I gave an example mind you, is to show them off.

Grow up. Stop taking offence to everything I say, think about them instead. If you want to succeed in Medicine, and that seems a big if, then you need to accept criticism; however they may make you feel, you must respond intelligently to them. Not with just an arrogance you're showing now. It's not good for patients. If you care, you'll take that on board.

G

:flybye:

Im done with you :smile: Don't tell me how to succeed in medicine ahah, I am the one with the offer. Ok please don't comment anymore, you are not helpful at all!

Thank you to the rest who have helped me :smile: I know what I am doing now.
Reply 30
I know what I am doing now.

and is that medicine? :smile:
Reply 31
Im done with you :smile: Don't tell me how to succeed in medicine ahah, I am the one with the offer. Ok please don't comment anymore, you are not helpful at all!

Thank you to the rest who have helped me :smile: I know what I am doing now.

Because you have an offer, all of a sudden, you can't accept criticism, even if it might improve your character?

And you won't have the luxury of being done with people that annoy you in Medicine; so don't count on it then.

I agree, we should stop talking. We're both just exasperating each other.

So on a FINAL note, good luck with it all. And I mean that, no hard feelings. :smile:

G
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nottie
and is that medicine? :smile:

Yes it is :smile: I have volunteered for way too long and done to much work experience to give up last minute! Let alone he UKCAT .. Plus, I am going to my favourite uni in the UK, so thats a plus! :smile:

Thank you for your help.

Original post by G.name
Because you have an offer, all of a sudden, you can't accept criticism, even if it might improve your character?

And you won't have the luxury of being done with people that annoy you in Medicine; so don't count on it then.

I agree, we should stop talking. We're both just exasperating each other.

So on a FINAL note, good luck with it all. And I mean that, no hard feelings. :smile:

G

Trust me, I know what medicine is like.
Yes it is :smile: I have volunteered for way too long and done to much work experience to give up last minute!

Don't go into this because 'you've already dedicated too much time.' Sunk cost is a very real danger here.
Yes it is :smile: I have volunteered for way too long and done to much work experience to give up last minute! Let alone he UKCAT .. Plus, I am going to my favourite uni in the UK, so thats a plus! :smile:

Thank you for your help.

OP, are you by chance going to Imperial? Very curious.
Op here

Isnt it better to get a medical degree then set up your own business rather than have no degree to fall back on?

^This is what i would if i were you. You can always try starting a business whilst at uni studying medicine. From your post is seems as though you want to start a business more than actually study a business type degree which you can do without studying a business type degree. Apologies if i misunderstood you.

good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending