The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Religious Studies 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakstar
If you want more answers either rep or follow, and I will create an unofficial mark scheme for you!:smile:

that would be amazing if you could create a mark scheme! would be amazing, thank you so much. :smile: will follow you
Original post by emilia12113
that would be amazing if you could create a mark scheme! would be amazing, thank you so much. :smile: will follow you

I cannot create a full mark scheme, however PM me about the answers for the certain questions you are looking for and I will give an in depth analysis of the answer and compare it to whether you have got similar points.

How does that sound?
(edited 7 years ago)
what did you write for 'how does the holy spirit influence christians'? i wrote through the pentacost and by guiding christian daily lives. thanks :smile:

also the question which said ' describe the relationship between scientific and religious theories' they didn't say of what bit i only spoke about the differences and similarities of both their theories on early humanity and evolutional. where we mean to talk about that in that question? :smile:

The holy spirit influences Christians, as to making moral judgements and decisions. It is the gift, guide and comforter for mankind, and can also influence Christians on strengthening their faith, through Pentecostal worship some Christians can feel faint, be healed and make prophecies as a result of the holy spirit. It can influence them spiritually to be more aware of God and his purpose etc. It can influence christians to be more loving, through pentecostal worship/ or through feeling the presence of the numinous to influence agape.
Original post by Rakstar
If you want more answers either rep or follow, and I will create an unofficial mark scheme for you!:smile:

belief about deityB) how does the holy spirit influence Christians? ( I wrote through the pentacost and by guiding Christians through daily life) C) Given an example of a Miracle ( I wrote jesus turned water into white and it was a miracle over nature as it went against the laws of nature. Would that be sufficient for 3 marks?) D) Why Christians believe in the existence of God? ( I spoke about most of the key arguments such as teleological, cosmological and argument of experience) End of lifeA) B) C) Christian beliefs about heaven ( I said that it is a place of eternal happiness where God is omnipotent and is the ruler of the kingdom)D) Christian beliefs about what happens to the soul after death? ( I spoke about the immortality of the soul that the soul rises to be judged immediately after death and elaborated on that, i also spoke how another belief is that the soul and the body remains as one until judgement day)
Original post by Rakstar
The holy spirit influences Christians, as to making moral judgements and decisions. It is the gift, guide and comforter for mankind, and can also influence Christians on strengthening their faith, through Pentecostal worship some Christians can feel faint, be healed and make prophecies as a result of the holy spirit. It can influence them spiritually to be more aware of God and his purpose etc. It can influence christians to be more loving, through pentecostal worship/ or through feeling the presence of the numinous to influence agape.

Good and EvilA) B) Give examples of evil in the world or something worded similar to that. ( I wrote natural evil such as tsunamis and moral evil such as murder.)C) D) If God is good then why is there evil? ( I wrote that God is trying to test to see if we still remain in faith with God and i elaborated on that. I also said that Gods good will prevails in the end if the person remains faithful as they end up going to heaven such as in the book of Job. I also said that christians are born with 'free will' so it is there actions which trigger evil and it is not Gods actions.) Sciencea)b) Give an exampe of the way Christians can show care for the environment ( i said through giving money to charities and by volunteering to conservation of wildlife charities such as Green Peace.C) Give a christian teaching about showing care to the environment ( I wrote ' we should not play with the environment' as we have responsibility to look after it as we are stewards of the earth.'D) describe Christian beliefs about the relationship between science and religion in it theories' ( I spoke about evolution and genesis how the time frames dont add up and that in genesis humans were created in gods image whilst scientist believe that humans evolved from apes ect. I said that there is also some similarities in the sense that bible might by symbolic and metaphorical that it did not take literally 7 days to create life but i took a much longer time ect.)let me know what you think thanks so much
belief about deityB) how does the holy spirit influence Christians? ( I wrote through the pentacost and by guiding Christians through daily life) C) Given an example of a Miracle ( I wrote jesus turned water into white and it was a miracle over nature as it went against the laws of nature. Would that be sufficient for 3 marks?) D) Why Christians believe in the existence of God? ( I spoke about most of the key arguments such as teleological, cosmological and argument of experience) End of lifeA) B) C) Christian beliefs about heaven ( I said that it is a place of eternal happiness where God is omnipotent and is the ruler of the kingdom)D) Christian beliefs about what happens to the soul after death? ( I spoke about the immortality of the soul that the soul rises to be judged immediately after death and elaborated on that, i also spoke how another belief is that the soul and the body remains as one until judgement day)

Christianity based Unofficial mark-scheme created by me @Rakstar

Beliefs about Deity

How does the holy spirit influence Christians?
(b)Yes you have fortunately achieved 2 marks with the Holy Spirit influencing through Pentecostal worship, and guiding, comforting Christians through daily life.(2/2)

Give an example of a Miracle
(c) For this question perhaps you needed to elaborate a bit more, I know this is quite strict but to have achieved the full marks you needed to delve into deeper ideas. Yes, I loved that you mentioned about his first miracle at the wedding where he converted water into wine, so that would get you one mark. It defied the laws of nature therefore another mark, from that comment, and finally you needed to make another important link to maybe his divinity, that it suggested he was the Son Of God, and his omnibenevolence of celebrating an event like this.You would get (2/3)

You could have also mentioned the most important miracle in Christianity as the resurrection and explain and slightly develop the importance of it, and how its a miracle. (3/3)

Why Christians believe in the existence of God?
(d) You would probably get full marks for this question, unless you're SPAG is not communicated properly. Yes so for this you could mention and make points on the various arguments, so the ontological argument introduced by St Anselm Of Canterbury, teleological/ intelligent design argument introduced by Sir Isaac Newton and developed by William Paley- Natural Selection, and the cosmological argument explanation for the Big Bang, or how the universe existed in the first place and there must have been a first cause. You could talk about the Guilty conscience argument, that how we make moral decisions is from the voice of God. Conversion or numinous experiences brought about that Christians may have experienced God personally. The upbringing of Christians, how they were nurtured to believe that God has always existed. Finally you could mention signs of miracles, and the Bible itself having teachings of Jesus which makes Christians believe in him through his actions etc. There is a whole load of points, you don't have to mention every single one but 4 or more would get you full marks. This would get you (6/6) marks

End of life- I did Islam for this but i'll answer it

(c) Christian beliefs about heaven
Yes you would get the full marks here, well should do perhaps you could have developed but I that's enough! It is a place where it is in the absence of pain, suffering, sin, and evil. It is a place of eternal happiness and peace. Where you can be united with God in his kingdom, yes God is omnipotent and is transcendent which you can explain and make links to heaven. Heaven is indescribable and is beyond our human understanding, however people have ancient images of what heaven can look like. But it limits the beauty of heaven.
You got (3/3) for that one.

(d) Christian beliefs about what happens to the soul after death?
You would probably wouldn't get full marks for this one, as you needed to make one more point and explain further. So firstly, I liked what you did with the question you have defined what a soul is, so it is a divine source, which is holy/ sacred, immortal and immaterial substance which continues after death in Christianity. You have also mentioned that it can be judged right after, also can be judged on judgement day by God, but you then needed to make links to heaven, hell, purgatory- for Roman Catholics. So if the soul has committed sins in its lifetime and is unforgivable then it will be punished in hell, if it has avoided sins and God- the omnibenevolent has forgiven some of their sins they can enter paradise with God. Finally, for the roman catholic denomination they believe that most souls enter purgatory and their sins are washed in this place and through a process by which they are in preparation to enter heaven. Can make any references from the Bible that links in with afterlife. You would get (4/6) But if anyone used my points you should get (6/6)

Religion and Science- That's a relief I did Christianity for this one

(b) Give an example of the way Christians can show care for the environment
I would say you have definitely got 2 mark for the charity reference and Christians contributing to it. From looking at other mark schemes with the similar question you have to slightly explain the point on the topic of charity. Other points can include: not polluting the environment, through the appreciation of thanksgiving services, altering their lifestyles to show care for the environment, by altering their method of transport cycling, running, public transport. Christian companies using less CFC in their products, there is so many points, but for 2 marks just mention one point and explain it.
But volunteering and donating are two different aspects you could potentially get 2 marks in my view, especially that bonus of mentioning green peace and protection for wildlife is one of the best answers (2/2)

(c) Give a christian teaching about showing care to the environment

Yes, you did quite well in this question, firstly the main point about a christian teaching that show's their care is stewardship. That should ring a bell to everyone. I believe you would get 2 marks as the answer you have provided is insufficient as what did you mean by "play" examiners may want to a slight elaboration to have got you full marks. Because god has made us stewards on earth, we do have responsibility and should be caretakers of the kingdom of the earth. We should as a result of stewardship, express agape, (unconditional love) to the environment and help preserve the integrity of the environment.You would get (2/3) might get (3/3) if you are lucky, or examiners are less strict. You should get (3/3) with my model answer.

(d) describe Christian beliefs about the relationship between science and religion in it theories'

Yes, perfect that's the main thing that they wanted to look out for in the 6 marker question. Maybe more points of course, but that is the main aspect that examiners wanted to look out for. You could mention Phillipe Gosse, (fossils being a test from God), St Augustine, natural selection- Charles Darwin, the teleological argument- William Paley. The intelligent design supports natural selection because the complexity of mutations and the development of life forms from simple to complex had been done by a higher intelligence being God. You could perhaps that also einstein believed that the creation of organisms and the creation of the world and the cosmsos needed a "helping hand"
Furthermore you could develop points with mentioning that science and religious theories can contradict for more literallist/ creationist Christians based on their belief in the Genesis creation story, how organisms were created in a different order, but natural selection suggests organisms developed from simple life forms. Also the fact that the actual calculation from the Bible when the world was created contradicted the actual creation of the world in However liberal Christians would argue that they have more spiritual truths and shouldn't be taken literally, science can still support religion. I agree with you that the world being created in 7 days by God is a more liberal approach from their point of view which can extend the marks for you!

Thank you, make sure you guys give it a rep if you like it! Cheers!:smile:

Kindly, please suggest any questions on Christianity and Islam that I have missed and I will edit the mark-scheme! Once the mark scheme is finished I will create a separate thread with the unofficial mark-scheme.
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys please go to the new thread and add your comments for this, thanks again:smile:
Could you give me a response about what I wrote about good and evil? Thank you so much for this :smile:
Could you give me a response about what I wrote about good and evil? Thank you so much for this :smile:

Ye, check out the new thread, my unofficial markscheme with good and evil
Go to GCSE- GCSE Religious Studies- Then the unofficial markscheme thread is there:smile: @emilia12113
grade boundaries are out, not really too sure about how well I did!
Reply 191
Original post by sstudyacc
grade boundaries are out, not really too sure about how well I did!

Honestly, based on that, think I've failed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
what does raw and ums mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone do? :smile:
Original post by Do it Right

Got an A* & taking it at A Level next year for defo 😊 Everyone in my year did pretty well though most people got A*s As and Bs!

Got an A* & taking it at A Level next year for defo 😊 Everyone in my year did pretty well though most people got A*s As and Bs!
Reply 196

Got a D 😭 Can't say it's surprising. I've literally had everything from A's to U's in RE so anything was possible! Still upset though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A* taking it for Alevel
Original post by mrtum3000
If anyone want's some great Ethics/ Philosophy videos (for OCR GCSE), they are here:
Philosophy - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwwmosI8c17K3qjTI7YkXKlK9ZMFU_Saa
Ethics - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwwmosI8c17J3wJt3j9SJ6Hod0q7JL2Sz

Will be watching them loads over the weekend.
Good luck and thank me later.

Listen im not even joking but THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! YOUR A LIFE SAVER THANK YOU SO MUCH i would of given up on re if it wasnt for these videos

THANKS M8 ! I JUST HOPE I DO WELL AS THE OTHERS

FINGERS CROSSED XXXX
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone remember the questions for Judaism and Hinduism ,I can't remember them I am redoing the r.s paper and I want to practice the paper we did however the papers are not out yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending