The Student Room Group

Doing A-Levels at age 20....any sixth form colleges for my age?

Hi all....

I'm looking to go back to college at age 20. I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I'm thinking of doing some different subjects (science ones) then what I previously did...and was wondering if there are any sixth form colleges in london that accept students age 20 (even though I would be 21 for entry in september 2017). Im not looking to attend an FE college, and would prefer a well established sixth form that has bred many oxbridge students etc, but i also understand that many of these colleges dont allow such old students (like westminster) so im feeling very limited right now and help would be appreciated :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by eli254
Hi all....

I'm looking to go back to college at age 20. I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I'm thinking of doing some different subjects (science ones) then what I previously did...and was wondering if there are any sixth form colleges in london that accept students age 20 (even though I would be 21 for entry in september 2017). Im not looking to attend an FE college, and would prefer a well established sixth form that has bred many oxbridge students etc, but i also understand that many of these colleges dont allow such old students (like westminster) so im feeling very limited right now and help would be appreciated :frown:

Sorry mate, I'm not from down there so I don't have a clue, just ask around

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Andy98
Sorry mate, I'm not from down there so I don't have a clue, just ask around

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Colleges in other parts of england would be fine too...but london preferably as i live here.
Reply 3
Original post by eli254
Thanks! Colleges in other parts of england would be fine too...but london preferably as i live here.

Well I know Franklin College in Grimsby had a few students in their 20s, but that's like 200 miles away from London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Andy98
Well I know Franklin College in Grimsby had a few students in their 20s, but that's like 200 miles away from London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the suggestion--will be sure to look into it x
Did you find any college at your time ?Becoz i am 19 and looking for A levels colleges too.Earnest help needed!!.
Original post by Ammar3714
Did you find any college at your time ?Becoz i am 19 and looking for A levels colleges too.Earnest help needed!!.

Where do you live?
6th Forms are school-sector.
They are not funded to take those aged over 18.

Your need to find out which local FE (Further Education) colleges offer A levels, or an Access to HE course - they are funded to teach/train adults.
Original post by Vapordave
Where do you live?

In london.
In london.

I don't think any sixth forms actually accept 19+ students.
In london.

I don't think any sixth forms actually accept 19+ students, so you should aim for an FE college that offers A-levels.
Original post by Vapordave
I don't think any sixth forms actually accept 19+ students.

Do you know any college outside london?
Or where there is much less fees than in london , its way too expensive out here.
Do you know any college outside london?
Or where there is much less fees than in london , its way too expensive out here.

The fees would be similar across England I think.
Hi, lots of colleges take older students but sixth forms only take 16-18 (unless you resit and leave at 19) as that's what they are funded for. Look for a further education college, they are loads around :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest