The Student Room Group

What is the answer to part c) of this Statistics Question?

20160824_061646.png
The image I have attached is for a question on data in Edexcel GCSE Statistics. For part c) the mark scheme says that the reason why the data cannot be plotted on a scatter graoh is because "The data is qualitative/non-numeric". If I said the data is discontinuous and therefore unable to be plotted, would I still get the mark?

Someone please help me! I really need a good grade!
What are the defining features of a scatter diagram?
What are the limitations?
What type of information can it show, what type of trends and relationships can it show?
Original post by dp00
20160824_061646.png
The image I have attached is for a question on data in Edexcel GCSE Statistics. For part c) the mark scheme says that the reason why the data cannot be plotted on a scatter graoh is because "The data is qualitative/non-numeric". If I said the data is discontinuous and therefore unable to be plotted, would I still get the mark?

I don't know whether you'd get the mark but your answer is essentially correct.
This is why it's good to do a lot of past questions. You know to write their version of the answer next time. Sometimes how you say something is very important in ensuring you get the mark.
So basically, you're right but not quite addressing what the mark scheme is asking for. But now you know how to word it for next time!

Good luck
Original post by Donkey******
What are the defining features of a scatter diagram?
What are the limitations?
What type of information can it show, what type of trends and relationships can it show?
Thank you for your response! I know all of those, but I don't think that discontinuous data can be plotted on a scatter diagram! Would I get the 1 mark for saying that it can't be plotted because it is not continuous data?
It's discrete data so you will just end up with two bars in the gender sections (unless you believe that gender is a 'spectrum'.
Original post by dp00
20160824_061646.png

The gender of a person is categoric + qualitative data, whereas you need quantative + continuous data to plot a scatter graph
Original post by manoobsmatthew
It's discrete data so you will just end up with two bars in the gender sections (unless you believe that gender is a 'spectrum'.
Thanks for responding! I understand that, but do you think I would get 1 mark for saying what I said?

Quick Reply

Latest