The Student Room Group

Should I invest in a macbook air?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helg
Well this made me laugh but I genuinely think this should be treated with appropriate seriousness. How is that not a top requirementt to consider.

Everything nowadays causes illness, if we stopped living our lives due to the chance of developing cancers, for example, then we'd all be living in an isolated bubble.
Reply 21
Original post by A-LJLB
Everything nowadays causes illness, if we stopped living our lives due to the chance of developing cancers, for example, then we'd all be living in an isolated bubble.

That may be true but some with high SAR are literally microwaving your organs. It's like cancer sauna to be with such a thing tens of hours a week in a room.
Forget Apple and go for something different. Apple are overpriced and Under powered for the price you pay

And not to mention all the stupid non standard cables you might have to use.
Original post by Snoopsl0th
I have saved up quite abit of money and I was wondering on wether to buy a macbook air for Uni.

I already have a microsoft surface which is good for obviously microsoft word etc but my uni is offering free software downloads anyways and as well as this unidays are doing an offer were you get free beats headphones with it worth like £250.

Anyone with this device think its worth it or should I just stick to what I have?

I had a MacBook before and it was awful it didn't work right and was very temperamental
so I sold it and bought an iPad
I wouldn't bother with the Macbook Air, the 13'' pro is still really light but has much more well rounded specs.

I own one, mainly because they run programs like Photoshop, Illustrator and so forth really well. Plus if the program crashes you can force quit the program without having to shut the computer down.

Depends what you're going to use it for, if you just want to web browse, write up essays and so on, I wouldn't bother. I've had mine for 2 years and still runs like it did on day one. I now have a preference for Macs, but there not for everyone, so do your own research on them first.
Get the pro it's a little bit more but more bang for your buck
Why would you 'invest' in a MacBook? The price of laptops falls over time. Invest in stocks, bonds or property.
Don't be one of those people! Get yourself a diff laptop and have a bit of money left over. Every uni student would wish they had money left over cause it will help!
Everyone says to go for something else
But what else is there?
Any particular recommendations for uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Hey OP, I think that apple products are overpriced for the spec that you get. Some alternatives are the Asus Zen book series:
https://www.asus.com/uk/notebooks/zenbook-series-products/

I have a zenbook ux305 that I bought for cheaper than a macbook air but it easily performs on par with the macbook air.
I have saved up quite abit of money and I was wondering on wether to buy a macbook air for Uni.

I already have a microsoft surface which is good for obviously microsoft word etc but my uni is offering free software downloads anyways and as well as this unidays are doing an offer were you get free beats headphones with it worth like £250.

Anyone with this device think its worth it or should I just stick to what I have?

f***!!! I bought a macbook air 3 months ago with the 10% student discount... had I known, I would have waited for the free beats too!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31

Can you show me the offer please.
Original post by YeSand
Can you show me the offer please.

Just go on the apple website
Reply 33
Honestly, I would.

I had a MacBook Pro for about five years before it kicked the bucket, and not being in the position to buy a new one, I got a HP. Worse decision ever, I'm not a massive fan of Windows and the laptop constantly gets on my nerves.

I'm going on Saturday to get the MacBook Air, which seems to be the best for students both in terms of portability and price. The headphones are just an added bonus to be honest.
Original post by AineL
Honestly, I would.

I had a MacBook Pro for about five years before it kicked the bucket, and not being in the position to buy a new one, I got a HP. Worse decision ever, I'm not a massive fan of Windows and the laptop constantly gets on my nerves.

I'm going on Saturday to get the MacBook Air, which seems to be the best for students both in terms of portability and price. The headphones are just an added bonus to be honest.

The new macbook is better in terms of portability, but of course it is more expensive :h:
I bought a MacBook Pro yesterday with the student offer and it's getting delivered today :biggrin:
Hoping that this wasn't an expensive mistake

If them beats are actually worth that much - then why not.

Depends if you will be superskint afterwards.
I would prefer a pro
All da cool kids at Uni have macbooks.
Surfaces are sub par 😂😂

On a serious note windows 8 and 10 have just ruined their products.
Windows 7 was decent but OSx is just so optimized and continues to be smooth.

All you see on windows 10 are loading screens
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by A-LJLB
The new macbook is better in terms of portability, but of course it is more expensive :h:

Yeah, I had my eye on it as well but it's more expensive than the original MacBook Pro and I have a love/hate relationship with the design and the fact that it only has one port. Though the Rose Gold colour is lovely, but I'll just settle for an Air with a nice case instead 🙈
Original post by AineL
Yeah, I had my eye on it as well but it's more expensive than the original MacBook Pro and I have a love/hate relationship with the design and the fact that it only has one port. Though the Rose Gold colour is lovely, but I'll just settle for an Air with a nice case instead 🙈

Haha practical! The macbook is gorgeous, but the one port is annoying! I agree with the rose gold colour! It's a lot more expensive, good thinking!
Original post by A-LJLB
Haha practical! The macbook is gorgeous, but the one port is annoying! I agree with the rose gold colour! It's a lot more expensive, good thinking!

Ohhhh
I was reading all these posts and didn't realise you meant Pink*

Oi fam USB-C is da future - one port doe - always be needing dem adaptors.

Quick Reply

Latest