The Student Room Group

Physics with AAAC at AS?

GCSE 1a*6a2b
AS -
maths - a
physics - a
chemistry - a (want to drop)
further maths - c (a in fp1 , a in s2, u in d1 )

I feel that my C in AS further maths will hold me back because of the predictions. My UCAS I think would be good because I've read a lot of physics related literature, went to CERN,self teaching C++,playing and coaching a football team.

If so where could I apply?
If you kept Chem you'd have a good shot at Bath as they dont need, from what I can see, Further Maths, only A*AA with an A in a third subject.

I would also say sit an extra applied module next year so you dont have D1 in your Further Maths grade.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
If you kept Chem you'd have a good shot at Bath as they dont need, from what I can see, Further Maths, only A*AA with an A in a third subject.

I would also say sit an extra applied module next year so you dont have D1 in your Further Maths grade.

I still have all 4 subjects because I have not enrolled yet. I am either studying chem eng or physic. I'm still undecided at this moment in time
I would keep chemistry if possible, but you could always re-take D1 if needed
Chemical engineering is more applicable to the real world than Physics. Both subjects are interesting but just go for Chem Eng

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by alevelstresss
I would keep chemistry if possible, but you could always re-take D1 if needed

Yeah I'm thinking to try and go for the impossible 3A* in maths physics and chemistry and try and bump AS FM to an A. D1 is a b*tch tho :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by wolfslayer1
Chemical engineering is more applicable to the real world than Physics. Both subjects are interesting but just go for Chem Eng

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm swaying more to chem eng but I don't think I know enough about it so for the remains of my summer holidays i'll read even more books on chemical engineering
Original post by Chemgawd99
Yeah I'm thinking to try and go for the impossible 3A* in maths physics and chemistry and try and bump AS FM to an A. D1 is a b*tch tho :frown:

You only need one of those A*s, and there is a very real chance the university you firm will let you in anyway with AAA or A*AB.

I got a B in D1, 75 UMS and it was my worst AS module, so I understand how hit-and-miss it is, but you can improve a lot on a U - if that goes up to a B or C, your grades should average out depending on UMS.

by the way I got AAAAC at AS, the C was in chemistry, and I got into physics at uni
(edited 7 years ago)

AAAC is actually a very good set of results, considering the C is AAU, so not sure how impossoble it is. You can do another unit anyway.

And dont worry, you have some time left to decide. Also think about whether you want to apply for a course with a 1 year placement or anything like that.
Yeah I'm swaying more to chem eng but I don't think I know enough about it so for the remains of my summer holidays i'll read even more books on chemical engineering

Watching videos is just as useful. There are quite a few on YouTube you can find, and I guess they are quicker to get through, which means that you would have saved time just in case you decided to go with Physics again

Hope thats a tad bit helpful (;
Reply 10
Original post by alevelstresss
You only need one of those A*s, and there is a very real chance the university you firm will let you in anyway with AAA or A*AB.

I got a B in D1, 75 UMS and it was my worst AS module, so I understand how hit-and-miss it is, but you can improve a lot on a U - if that goes up to a B or C, your grades should average out depending on UMS.

by the way I got AAAAC at AS, the C was in chemistry, and I got into physics at uni

I knew I was bad in D1 but not that bad lol, you did very well in your D1. I may retake D1 or take up M2 because its more useful and I like AS mechanics

Quick Reply

Latest