The Student Room Group

Student Bank Account Mix Up

I'm in a bit of a pickle: I seem to have accidentally opened two student bank accounts.

Initially decided I liked the look of Nationwide's new student bank account so applied for that online; however, when I finished the online application I was sent an email demanding proof of ID (which I expected). Annoyingly, even after phoning my local branch, I found out Nationwide were unable to accept any of the ID documents I had (even though other banks would). Since there was no easy way of opening a Nationwide student account I decided to just stick to my current bank and upgrade my Natwest Adapt account to a student one.

Everything was going fine until this morning when Nationwide sent me an email saying that my new student bank account was now open and that my card was on its way. The thing is: I never sent them any proof of ID and I'm still not 100% sure if I actually have a bank account with them. Do I still need to send ID???Meanwhile, my Natwest account is in the process of being upgraded.

I'm worried because the T&Cs on both accounts say they have to be my main account and I don't want to be breaking the rules. Moreover, I'm worried that if I shut down the Natwest account I'll find out that I still need to provide Nationwide with ID (something a can't do!) and I'll be left without a bank account at the start of uni.

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:.
Original post by wordshark
I'm in a bit of a pickle: I seem to have accidentally opened two student bank accounts.

Initially decided I liked the look of Nationwide's new student bank account so applied for that online; however, when I finished the online application I was sent an email demanding proof of ID (which I expected). Annoyingly, even after phoning my local branch, I found out Nationwide were unable to accept any of the ID documents I had (even though other banks would). Since there was no easy way of opening a Nationwide student account I decided to just stick to my current bank and upgrade my Natwest Adapt account to a student one.

Everything was going fine until this morning when Nationwide sent me an email saying that my new student bank account was now open and that my card was on its way. The thing is: I never sent them any proof of ID and I'm still not 100% sure if I actually have a bank account with them. Do I still need to send ID???Meanwhile, my Natwest account is in the process of being upgraded.

I'm worried because the T&Cs on both accounts say they have to be my main account and I don't want to be breaking the rules. Moreover, I'm worried that if I shut down the Natwest account I'll find out that I still need to provide Nationwide with ID (something a can't do!) and I'll be left without a bank account at the start of uni.

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:.

Sounds like an automated letter but give natwest a call to check what's going on to be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending