The Student Room Group

Social Stigma Of Apprenticeships - Express Your View

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jake4198
I'm really interested in climbing the ladder in retail management after getting the offer, although it's not something I considered before.

According to my contract:

Year 1: 20 hours per week at £9.40 an hour.
Year 2: 20 hours per week at £11.00 an hour.
Year 3: 48 hours per week at £30,000 per year.

The pay is much better than I'd get in most graduate starter jobs and I'll have no student debt.

My offer is for Economics.

That sounds rather appealing to me. Although it is a tough decision to make. Would you be able to do a degree if you took the employment route?
Original post by brainzistheword
That sounds rather appealing to me. Although it is a tough decision to make. Would you be able to do a degree if you took the employment route?

There'd be time for me to do a degree part time if in my first two years, but given a part time degree can take up to six years, by year three I'd be on a full time contract so there isn't really any time to do a degree alongside it.

I might do the apprenticeship, spend a few years in management, then do a degree and apply for the graduate Area Manager role. The few years in industry should give me an edge.
There'd be time for me to do a degree part time if in my first two years, but given a part time degree can take up to six years, by year three I'd be on a full time contract so there isn't really any time to do a degree alongside it.

I might do the apprenticeship, spend a few years in management, then do a degree and apply for the graduate Area Manager role. The few years in industry should give me an edge.

Yeah, that sounds like a really good plan. When do you have to decide by?
Yeah, that sounds like a really good plan. When do you have to decide by?

I still have a week to decide. I wish I could at least wait until results day because maybe my results are awful anyway.
I still have a week to decide. I wish I could at least wait until results day because maybe my results are awful anyway.

only a week? I'd have thought they would have waited until your results too, but I'm sure you won't have done awfully!
What area did she do her apprenticeship in?

Tbh I'm not exactly sure what it was, either IT or engineering related stuff.

All I know is that starting from august she's doing a 4 year engineering maintenance apprenticeship with EDF energy.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Tbh I'm not exactly sure what it was, either IT or engineering related stuff.

All I know is that starting from august she's doing a 4 year engineering maintenance apprenticeship with EDF energy.

Ah no worries - I'm interested in Engineering myself and EDF has a good reputation. I hope she enjoys it :smile:
Well done on those grades - and good luck with the degree

Thanks!
Reply 48
Hi guys, I guess I'm a bit lucky with this issue. I've been accepted to Uni to do Business Management (Accounting and Finance) but I've also been offered an advanced apprenticeship to be an accountant. The pay is quite significant and they said they'd pay for me to do degree's in the future, but I'm still anxious about what to do? I've talked to a few people about it, and the majority have said the apprenticeship, even people that go to University. They think you can't go wrong with gaining experience whilst earning money at the same time, especially if they will pay for your degree's. A lot of people mentioned that if I don't like it then I can always drop out and go to Univeristy further down the line. I see there are a few negative comments towards apprenticeships and in all fairness I once looked down on them too. But it's good to see that a lot of people on here have enjoyed theirs and have done really well such as DS and the other person who is/working towards being a chartered manager. What would you say the wage range should be around for starting on the first year? And do you think that this is a better opportunity that University? I feel like the only thing I'm missing out on at University is the social side and I'm willing to give that up to miss out on tremendous amount of debt that comes with Uni. Most Uni's are just looking for money now and it's becoming a bit of a joke in England, £9K a year, plus around £4-9K maintenance loans? People are looking at debt anywhere from £27K-£72K. £27K being the absolute minimum loan, with 3 years at Uni and commuting there, it doesn't sound like a life I would enjoy. Almost everyone passes Uni now too, I feel as if all they want is your money? Thoughts?
Original post by Kieran98
Hi guys, I guess I'm a bit lucky with this issue. I've been accepted to Uni to do Business Management (Accounting and Finance) but I've also been offered an advanced apprenticeship to be an accountant. The pay is quite significant and they said they'd pay for me to do degree's in the future, but I'm still anxious about what to do? I've talked to a few people about it, and the majority have said the apprenticeship, even people that go to University. They think you can't go wrong with gaining experience whilst earning money at the same time, especially if they will pay for your degree's. A lot of people mentioned that if I don't like it then I can always drop out and go to Univeristy further down the line. I see there are a few negative comments towards apprenticeships and in all fairness I once looked down on them too. But it's good to see that a lot of people on here have enjoyed theirs and have done really well such as DS and the other person who is/working towards being a chartered manager. What would you say the wage range should be around for starting on the first year? And do you think that this is a better opportunity that University? I feel like the only thing I'm missing out on at University is the social side and I'm willing to give that up to miss out on tremendous amount of debt that comes with Uni. Most Uni's are just looking for money now and it's becoming a bit of a joke in England, £9K a year, plus around £4-9K maintenance loans? People are looking at debt anywhere from £27K-£72K. £27K being the absolute minimum loan, with 3 years at Uni and commuting there, it doesn't sound like a life I would enjoy. Almost everyone passes Uni now too, I feel as if all they want is your money? Thoughts?

To be honest you sound set on the apprenticeship. I think that if they said you will also be doing a degree then this is certainly the best option. The only problem I see with some apprenticeships is the potential to hit the a 'glass roof' early in your career but with a degree this wont happen. At the end of the day you go to uni to get a job at the end. In my opinion I think you cant go wrong with the apprenticeship in accountancy. Just make sure you know the ins and outs of everything and compare all options. What company is it btw?

Hi, I'm just wondering how you got on and if you made a choice? :smile:

To be honest, I agree with @WurfWurf and you do sound rather set on the Apprenticeship, as they can have a positive social aspect too! Would there not be an option to study for a degree under your apprenticeship, as that would give you the best of both worlds?

I'm in a similar position to yourself and don't know whether an apprenticeship in Engineering is the right way forward or if it's better to go to college and uni to keep options open
To be honest, I agree with @WurfWurf and you do sound rather set on the Apprenticeship, as they can have a positive social aspect too! Would there not be an option to study for a degree under your apprenticeship, as that would give you the best of both worlds?

I'm in a similar position to yourself and don't know whether an apprenticeship in Engineering is the right way forward or if it's better to go to college and uni to keep options open

Compare all options thoroughly. Remember the £30 000 debt of uni is today's house deposit. If you don't mind me asking, can you share more details of the apprenticeship, such as what qualifications you would be getting with it. :biggrin:
Original post by WurfWurf
Compare all options thoroughly. Remember the £30 000 debt of uni is today's house deposit. If you don't mind me asking, can you share more details of the apprenticeship, such as what qualifications you would be getting with it. :biggrin:

In my circumstance, I would be getting a BTEC L3 Diploma, NVQ L3 Extended Diploma (I think it's that level), a HNC diploma and a HND. I think that's what we would get anyway. :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by WurfWurf
To be honest you sound set on the apprenticeship. I think that if they said you will also be doing a degree then this is certainly the best option. The only problem I see with some apprenticeships is the potential to hit the a 'glass roof' early in your career but with a degree this wont happen. At the end of the day you go to uni to get a job at the end. In my opinion I think you cant go wrong with the apprenticeship in accountancy. Just make sure you know the ins and outs of everything and compare all options. What company is it btw?

Well I'm having a few meetings over the next few weeks to just see what progression is available to me, but I'm certain that I'll be doing an Accountancy qualification which is through college then I'll have the option for any finance degree on offer. I'd rather not mention the company if that's okay, don't think I could carry on living if they seen what I've been talking about. But the pay is in the region of £15-£16K. Would you say that's a sufficient amount to be starting on? Pretty new to this. Thanks for the replies, sorry mine has been late, been quite busy over the last few weeks!
Well I'm having a few meetings over the next few weeks to just see what progression is available to me, but I'm certain that I'll be doing an Accountancy qualification which is through college then I'll have the option for any finance degree on offer. I'd rather not mention the company if that's okay, don't think I could carry on living if they seen what I've been talking about. But the pay is in the region of £15-£16K. Would you say that's a sufficient amount to be starting on? Pretty new to this. Thanks for the replies, sorry mine has been late, been quite busy over the last few weeks!

Well yes. £15-16K is very good for an apprenticeship. I think the minimum is like £3.30 an hour or something so 16k a year is much more than that. Sounds good to me. If you don't like it, quit and go to uni with the extra money behind you. Just make sure the company has opportunities to grow and I think you're all good to go imo.
for anyone interested ive just finished a 4 year mechanical engineering apprenticeship and haven't regretted a second of it, just landed an awesome job (as a design engineer) for a 20 year old. I'm currently deciding if i should go full time uni or not next year. or i might be able to possibly do my degree through work part time. There's pro's and cons to each option but the point is is it you can get a degree and do an apprenticeship. After both you'd have such a well rounded CV and certainly stand out from those who only have the former or the latter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending