The Student Room Group

Article: Medical school GCSE requirements

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
If I get a B grade in GCSE chemistry but the rest majority A*s will it really hold me back?
Original post by HR321
If I get a B grade in GCSE chemistry but the rest majority A*s will it really hold me back?

It will preclude you from applying to certain schools that minimally require As/A*s in GCSE science (whether it be double or triple award). You can still apply to plenty of others though - see here for details.
Reply 62
Some unis say that they just calculate a score from your top 7/9 GCSE grades without specifying which subjects to include, though I assume that maths and English is a must. If this is the case could I not include my chemistry grade, and would they still see this grade when assessing my application?
Original post by HR321
Some unis say that they just calculate a score from your top 7/9 GCSE grades without specifying which subjects to include, though I assume that maths and English is a must.

The universities that say this usually include English, maths, and science in the calculation even if they're not in your top seven/nine/whatever GCSEs.

Anyway, even those universities have minimum requirements in English, maths and science, which have to be met, regardless of whether all your other grades are A*s. See the link in my previous post for what these requirements roughly are (though always check the university's website just to make sure it hasn't updated).

If this is the case could I not include my chemistry grade, and would they still see this grade when assessing my application?

You have to declare all your certificated grades (plus any U grades, which aren't certificated) on your application, so they would see it, I'm afraid. Not declaring all your qualifications is considered fraud.

As I said, there are still plenty of medical schools that you can apply to, and if it's bothering you that much, you can always resit an exam or two to up it to an A or A*.
Reply 64
Hm, do you think it's worth resisting? I've heard that a lot of medical unis don't like resits?
Original post by HR321
Hm, do you think it's worth resisting?

Given that there are a few universities that don't require straight As in science GCSE, I wouldn't, especially if it will affect performance in AS/A Level exams, which are more important.

I've heard that a lot of medical unis don't like resits?

Most of them don't like A Level resits (though some are fine with them even without extenuating circumstances) - meaning resits of A Level exams outside the normal two-year period. GCSE resits are fine for most places, I think. See here for more information on medical school resit policies: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
Reply 66
So I'm currently taking GCSE exams and my predicted grades are:

3A*s (English Language, Chemistry, German)
5As (Maths, Biology, Geography, Religious Studies, Level 2 Further Maths)
1 Distinction (BTEC Sport) (Doubt they'll count BTECs.)
2Bs (Physics, English Literature)

If I was to achieve these results, would this put me in a good place for less GCSE heavy universities?

I'm taking at A-level: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I'm planning to drop Maths after AS level though, wise idea?
Original post by L0st45
So I'm currently taking GCSE exams and my predicted grades are:

3A*s (English Language, Chemistry, German)
5As (Maths, Biology, Geography, Religious Studies, Level 2 Further Maths)
1 Distinction (BTEC Sport) (Doubt they'll count BTECs.)
2Bs (Physics, English Literature)

If I was to achieve these results, would this put me in a good place for less GCSE heavy universities?

Yes, you'd be fine for most places save for the GCSE-heavy universities - just make sure to do well on your UKCAT. Although you should try to up your physics grade to an A; makes you eligible for more universities if you have As or better in the sciences. But if it's not possible, it's still fine. :smile:

I'm taking at A-level: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I'm planning to drop Maths after AS level though, wise idea?

You only need biology and chemistry for all but one medical school, so only take maths if you want to do it for its own sake. There's no requirement for it and it doesn't give you an advantage at most medical schools.

More information on applying, though not terribly up-to-date: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jayeshforce1
i have 1A* 2As and 7Bs at GCSE (my high school wasnt the best ) any idea what uni i should apply for. I have lots of work experience and doing the nuffield research placement this summer and expected to get good AS grades.

Avoid: Cardiff, Birmingham, Oxford, Queens Belfast. Depending on what grades you got in English language, maths, and science, you may also be ineligible for a few others that require As in those subjects. See here for a list of medical schools alongside their GCSE requirements (always corroborate with the universities' own websites because it's not updated regularly).

It can't be said for certain which universities you should apply to until you have your UKCAT results. Focus on doing well at AS and in the UKCAT for now.
Original post by Hydeman
Avoid: Cardiff, Birmingham, Oxford, Queens Belfast. Depending on what grades you got in English language, maths, and science, you may also be ineligible for a few others that require As in those subjects. See here for a list of medical schools alongside their GCSE requirements (always corroborate with the universities' own websites because it's not updated regularly).

It can't be said for certain which universities you should apply to until you have your UKCAT results. Focus on doing well at AS and in the UKCAT for now.

I have A*' and As in Science and Maths and B in Eng Lit,English Lang and English iGcse. Does that help narrow it down a bit more?
Original post by jayeshforce1
I have A*' and As in Science and Maths and B in Eng Lit,English Lang and English iGcse. Does that help narrow it down a bit more?

The B in English Language eliminates a few more: Bristol, East Anglia, Hull York and Southampton. They all require an A in English Language according to the link in my previous post.

It can't be narrowed down further than that before you have your AS and UKCAT results to hand.
Hello there!

I'm an international student (but EU-based) who got his IGCSEs yesterday. My results are 7A*s 1A and 2Bs. One B went for a remark and might go up to an A (additional maths, 1UMS!).

My question is - will these two Bs hold me back a lot? I would like to apply to Edinburgh, Cardiff, Imperial, and maybe Oxford/Cambridge (only if I get 40+ in IB as predicted and finish all of my work experience where I ghost a surgeon and help in the hospital).

Do I have a chance for these unis? I don't know whether my IGCSEs are good enough because despite having met the criteria (well, i did only get an A in English literature, though an A* in language) I feel like I'm not as strong of a candidate...
Original post by Mac117
Hello there!

I'm an international student (but EU-based) who got his IGCSEs yesterday. My results are 7A*s 1A and 2Bs. One B went for a remark and might go up to an A (additional maths, 1UMS!).

My question is - will these two Bs hold me back a lot? I would like to apply to Edinburgh, Cardiff, Imperial, and maybe Oxford/Cambridge (only if I get 40+ in IB as predicted and finish all of my work experience where I ghost a surgeon and help in the hospital).

Do I have a chance for these unis? I don't know whether my IGCSEs are good enough because despite having met the criteria (well, i did only get an A in English literature, though an A* in language) I feel like I'm not as strong of a candidate...

Cardiff might be borderline because they use a scoring system for GCSE/IGCSE grades to decide who to invite for interview and the cut-off score has steadily risen to one that has made it the case that most interviewed applicants have eight or more A*s (inclusive of English, maths and science). Still, people have gotten in with less so it might be worth a shot. You can ask @Natalierm2707 for further help/advice with Cardiff.

Oxford, too, is a GCSE-heavy university and I would advise you stay clear of it unless you're able to do exceptionally in the BMAT (which receives the same weighting as GCSEs in selecting applicants for interview). Cambridge might be a better bet, though I don't know how the non-availability of UMS scores (which A Level candidates have and Cambridge uses) might affect the importance of your IGCSEs. Luckily, there are a couple of admissions tutors from Cambridge on TSR to whom I can direct you, if you want.

Imperial has a mostly holistic process, with the exception of their BMAT cut-offs (separate one for each section), so you'll be alright there.

No idea about Edinburgh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Cardiff might be borderline because they use a scoring system for GCSE/IGCSE grades to decide who to invite for interview and the cut-off score has steadily risen to one that has made it the case that most interviewed applicants have eight or more A*s (inclusive of English, maths and science). Still, people have gotten in with less so it might be worth a shot. You can ask @Natalierm2707 for further help/advice with Cardiff.

Oxford, too, is a GCSE-heavy university and I would advise you stay clear of it unless you're able to do exceptionally in the BMAT (which receives the same weighting as GCSEs in selecting applicants for interview). Cambridge might be a better bet, though I don't know how the non-availability of UMS scores (which A Level candidates have and Cambridge uses) might affect the importance of your IGCSEs. Luckily, there are a couple of admissions tutors from Cambridge on TSR to whom I can direct you, if you want.

Imperial has a mostly holistic process, with the exception of their BMAT cut-offs (separate one for each section), so you'll be alright there.

No idea about Edinburgh.

Thank you so much! Would retaking the two Bs and getting As/A*s help? Or are retakes looked down upon?

So there are medical schools which do not require entry exams? Also, would sitting UKAT and BMAT be an advantage and look better on the apllicstion?

I'd really appreciate if you do give me the details of the Cambridge admission tutors since I wouldn't want to bother you with so many questions :smile:

Thanks again!
Original post by Mac117
Thank you so much! Would retaking the two Bs and getting As/A*s help? Or are retakes looked down upon?

Probably not, though GCSE retakes aren't especially looked down upon either (it's A Level retakes that really get up their nose :tongue:). I distinctly remember Cardiff's admissions document from last year stating that Cardiff does consider GCSE retakes. That said, it's better to focus on doing well in your A Levels instead of trying to improve what is already an excellent set of GCSEs.

So there are medical schools which do not require entry exams?

Not anymore - until last year, Bristol didn't require any entrance exams but from 2017 entry onwards all applicants (to Bristol) are required to sit the UKCAT.

Also, would sitting UKAT and BMAT be an advantage and look better on the apllicstion?

No. It's either required or it isn't and you can find out which of the two is used by individual universities on their websites. Sitting an entrance exam not required by any of your universities won't confer any advantage.

I'd really appreciate if you do give me the details of the Cambridge admission tutors since I wouldn't want to bother you with so many questions :smile:

Thanks again!

No worries, just post any questions you have in this thread and they should get back to you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just seen the gcse grade boundary's today and i'm sure I got mostly B's, I was wondering if I would still stand a chance of applying for medicine in 2018? would amazing AS/BMAT/UKCAT grades help ammend my terrible gcse grades when applying? Or should I consider doing a different course?
you would be at a disadvantage to someone with eg 8A* but nevertheless you can still do it!
You haven't even got your results yet

Calm down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Don't worry just yet you might be pleasantly surprised tomorrow 😀 , if not then I'm sure if you apply tactically to unis and have a good ukcat or bmat then you should be fine! A lot of unis also care more about your personal statement than others also so just try to make that strong as well!
Reply 79
Original post by shohaib712
Just seen the gcse grade boundary's today and i'm sure I got mostly B's, I was wondering if I would still stand a chance of applying for medicine in 2018? would amazing AS/BMAT/UKCAT grades help ammend my terrible gcse grades when applying? Or should I consider doing a different course?

Wait and see what results you get. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending