The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Even though I aspire to do it, it's medicine for me. It seems as if everyone that takes it is touted as a genius and that you're an automatic success in life. I'm intrigued as to why physics/chemistry don't get the same level as respect, because they seem to be much harder. I mean, from some of my taster days, medicine seems like A Level Biology on steroids; there's excessive memorisation in every topic!

You've clearly not understood medicine then :frown:
Original post by ChkATM

On the contrary, they have. ":frown:"

(seriously, what's the point of the patronising emoti?)
Having those subjects as a degree exponentially improve your chances though. In some circumstances, it really can be a meal ticket. In fact, medicine literally is a meal ticket to a high salary, if you just do your job well.

Not sure about exponentially, especially if you have the communication skills of a rock. Maybe engineering has higher chances because it has a direct path towards a grad job where the only other contenders are engineers, but maths, physics etc not really.*

Yeah medicine/dentistry + allied health are the only degrees that are pretty much meal tickets - but in those cases, the selection process is at the outset and not at the end of the degree.*
Original post by ChkATM

Please elaborate on what there's done above memorisation?
Dentistry. The sheer snobbery I've experienced from people whose life goal is to examine teeth is incredible.
Law. I think it's only about 10% of graduates actually become lawyers. Followed by medicine, which most people simply do for the money.
Reply 46
Original post by richpanda
Law. I think it's only about 10% of graduates actually become lawyers. Followed by medicine, which most people simply do for the money.

If people are doing medicine for the money, they're a bit dim. There are much quicker and easier ways
Reply 47
But do you think medicine still deserves all the praise it gets? I'm sure as a physics graduate you know how underrated it is by friends, family public etc.

Medicine does deserve the credit it gets, but other degrees (eg physics) deserve more credit too, imo
Your second paragraph is utter ********. I'm pretty sure all the maths/science related courses have the highest employment and salary out of all degrees. Computing, engineering, maths and medicine all have high starting salaries

They all have high starting salaries because the smartest and wealthiest students tend to take those courses. For instance on the maths course I did I think the average grades in the days before A* was 4As at A-level.

I have a maths degree from a top uni and ten years on I don't think it has made all that much difference to people's outcomes: the wealthy private school lot are things like senior actuaries now, some of those from poor backgrounds work menial jobs or for themselves. I would say the degree is of negligible value.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ezme39
If people are doing medicine for the money, they're a bit dim. There are much quicker and easier ways

Medicine is guaranteed money for those that don't like risk.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Gender studies

Does anybody even study Gender Studies?
Reply 51
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
medicine easily

who the **** wants to examine penises for a living

Agreed.
Probably history at Oxbridge.
Original post by lucabrasi98
But law actually is overrated.

Edit: Also I'd add Aerospace engineering. Mechanical engineers can get into virtually all graduate schemes they do. But Aerospace engineers can't get into all mechanical engineering graduate schemes. Despite that, people think aerospace is the most prestigious engineering discipline.

And apparently it's not the hardest either (contrary to popular belief). My friends in 3rd and 4th doing various engineering disciplines claim that electrical engineering becomes so difficult that it's ridiculous. It becomes even more horrible if you're doing it at a good uni.

Law has to some extent been diluted by the lower tier universities, I've seen the exam papers and they are a doss but law at a good university is by far one of the hardest degrees to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medicine, Law and the biosciences
Probably computer science is overhyped in the US at the moment. Everybody is going to be the next Zuckerberg, cloud-based, SAAS, AI billionaire company by 25.

Engineering, more generally. The engineers I've spoken to have been soul-crushing and said that they wanted to be designing and building and being creative and solving problems but that most of their work is just paperwork. Most don't remember the last time they used the content of their degrees. There are some awesome roles out there for engineers but certainly this seems reflecting of the majority. Even their degrees, they have said, have been boring but they slog through for the prospect of great graduate work which (see above).

Law seems incredibly dull to do as an undergraduate. Where is your sense of wonder?! It's so dry. A legal career, awesome (possibly). Degree in jurisprudence? Not so interesting.

People probably want to ascribe medicine to this same list but I think it is probably correctly rated, except academically. Medics have a safe, high earning career, fulfilling work (for the most part), respect and prestige in the word environment and of the general public, etc. If I could contend with the monstrous workload in medicine, I probably would. But academically it's not so rigorous unless you intercalate (do a research year) and then it's probably on par with the other life sciences.
(edited 7 years ago)
Law (excluding Law at a top tier University) and PPE.
Law
Reply 59
Original post by KatieBlogger
On the contrary, they have. ":frown:"

(seriously, what's the point of the patronising emoti?)

They're going into medicine or at least they hope so and they don't fully grasp its beauty and complexity rather they think memorisation is a key aspect/the main aspect. The whole A level biology on steroids is frankly a bit rude to those who study it and also rude for those prospective students who dream of studying medicine and what it entails by just diminishing it to what OP quoted.

Memorisation is just one aspect. If you think memorising thousands of pages and not understanding a single thing or having any concept of empathy or sound clinical skills is what gets a good grade in a medical degree then you're delusional. Not every patient has a Ddx that matches what you read in the cheese and onion (OHCM). Ethics? Is that memorisation? Certainly not. Building sound rapports with patients? Memorisation? No. Clinical examinations of ill patients who are so scared and feel alone and they find comfort in you. Memorisation? No. These are skills that not every person has. How many people do you know can operate near the brainstem knowing that if they make a mistake the person dies? Most people are scared if an exam question comes up and they haven't revised and think it's the end of the world. How many more do you know can do that, make a mistake, swallow it and go on to try and save the next person. Some medical degrees have compulsory intercalations where you do research or otherwise and seeing you sometimes jump into the 3rd year of a lot of bachelor courses, perhaps that gives you an indication of what other degrees and academics who run such courses think of the skills and knowledge of medical students.

If you think the degree isn't hard then fair enough, but consider the various facets before you make stupid rash generalisations based off some crappy thing someone told you. You need to be sharp, adept and have a big heart to just get through medschool. Most people here wouldn't even be able to do half the things you do in first sem of first year, probably breaking down when they see a cadaver or seeing a patient die whilst on placement yet they come on here to diminish the degree. I'm not here to say it's better or harder than other degrees, rather respect it for what it is and don't jump to conclusions if you don't know.

Latest

Trending

Trending