The Student Room Group
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle

What is Mill Hall (Lancaster) like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jade668
Actually no the cleaners come once a week and clean the baths and toilets and hoover the hallway. I thought it was completely gross the idea of sharing three bath/showers between 14 other people but honestly there's very little difference to using your shower at home with your family. Like if someone makes a mess they clean it generally. For example I wear a lot of fake tan so when I shower I make sure I don't leave behind any orange streaks. It takes two seconds to rinse down the bath and most people will do that. I didn't live with anyone gross either, they were all pretty hygienic so like I knew the bathroom wasn't going to be gross after they used the shower.

Awesome!:smile: Are the bathrooms like how I imagine, in that you open a door off the hallway and there's a little room with just a shower and a bath, and there's a lock on the door? Someone said in this thread that there were two bathrooms like that, and then one room with just a shower and toilet in. And then two separate toilets as well off the hallway. Is that right?
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle
Reply 21
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Awesome!:smile: Are the bathrooms like how I imagine, in that you open a door off the hallway and there's a little room with just a shower and a bath, and there's a lock on the door? Someone said in this thread that there were two bathrooms like that, and then one room with just a shower and toilet in. And then two separate toilets as well off the hallway. Is that right?

Yes that's right! :smile: If you have anymore questions just ask
Original post by jade668
Yes that's right! :smile: If you have anymore questions just ask

Yay! I'm so excited, I'm picturing it all in my head! :biggrin: Did you wear flipflops in the bathrooms?
Reply 23
Yay! I'm so excited, I'm picturing it all in my head! :biggrin: Did you wear flipflops in the bathrooms?

I meant to actually bring my flipflops for this reason but I forgot them but no one else I lived with wore flipflops to the shower either. Although to be fair my room was facing the shower luckily so I'd just run across in my towel most of the time haha
Original post by jade668
I meant to actually bring my flipflops for this reason but I forgot them but no one else I lived with wore flipflops to the shower either. Although to be fair my room was facing the shower luckily so I'd just run across in my towel most of the time haha

Lucky you, haha! If you had to rate your experience at Mill Hall out of 10, what would you give it and why? :h:
Whats it like noise wise? Like can you hear the person in the room next to you or are the walls pretty thick?
Reply 26
Lucky you, haha! If you had to rate your experience at Mill Hall out of 10, what would you give it and why? :h:

I would say like a 7. I enjoyed basically everything about Mill Hall but there were a few minor annoyances. For example, when we had the city wide powercut it was definitely more evident that people who lived on campus were getting more support. I think during the 2 days we had no power we saw a member of security once. He left us one wind up torch for light. They had food up on campus that did not need to be cooked that no one in my flat was informed about until afterwards. We ended up going out in the evening and finding a local shop which had opened but unfortunately had been basically ransacked during the day and almost everything was gone.
Another annoyance is the washers and dryers were the worst things ever, they break all the time. The dryer will also shrink your clothes if you aren't careful. I advise just letting your clothes dry naturally.
And the thing that annoyed me the most is that my room had severe mould on the wall, to the point where it made me sick. And I complained to the university who sent someone down to look at it. He said he would be back in a week to remove and repaint everything but three months later when I moved out still no one had come to sort it out. Things break all the time, leaky sinks, blocked sinks, broken toilets, you name it we had it. But all the things I loved about Mill Hall are definitely worth it. Living with 14 other people was definitely such a good experience and I'm really going to miss it next year.
Reply 27
Original post by Stephie22
Whats it like noise wise? Like can you hear the person in the room next to you or are the walls pretty thick?

Depending on how noisy they are you'll probably hear them. I used to hear the girl on the left of me coughing all the time. The girl on the right of me used to hear me singing all the time. The biggest noise problem I had was the person who lived in the flat and room above mine. I could hear her music and I could hear her taps running (sinks in every room) and I could hear her laughing a lot. This wasn't really a big problem for me because at least she played good music and everything else she couldn't really help but if noise bothers you a lot then ear plugs are a good idea.
Original post by jade668
I would say like a 7. I enjoyed basically everything about Mill Hall but there were a few minor annoyances. For example, when we had the city wide powercut it was definitely more evident that people who lived on campus were getting more support. I think during the 2 days we had no power we saw a member of security once. He left us one wind up torch for light. They had food up on campus that did not need to be cooked that no one in my flat was informed about until afterwards. We ended up going out in the evening and finding a local shop which had opened but unfortunately had been basically ransacked during the day and almost everything was gone.
Another annoyance is the washers and dryers were the worst things ever, they break all the time. The dryer will also shrink your clothes if you aren't careful. I advise just letting your clothes dry naturally.
And the thing that annoyed me the most is that my room had severe mould on the wall, to the point where it made me sick. And I complained to the university who sent someone down to look at it. He said he would be back in a week to remove and repaint everything but three months later when I moved out still no one had come to sort it out. Things break all the time, leaky sinks, blocked sinks, broken toilets, you name it we had it. But all the things I loved about Mill Hall are definitely worth it. Living with 14 other people was definitely such a good experience and I'm really going to miss it next year.

I'm only planning on using the dryers for underwear and pyjamas. Everything else is getting air dried - I don't trust dryers at all, I think they ruin clothes.
That's disgusting about the mould! :frown:

Thanks for the reply:h: I can't wait to live in Mill Hall:h:
Hi Guys!!

I think today is the moving in day for Mill Hall.. What floors are u all in and how are you finding it! Im sure everyone will grow to love it, we did when we lived there in 2013! Good times! Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending