The Student Room Group

Need help budgeting for uni?

Hello everybody!

I noticed a lot of people on here tend to ask for help about budgeting for university... so I thought I'd help y'all out!

Here is a link to a spreadsheet that I created: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JMgkOtAw8Ma2vHotT6HtqkHSARNIKgIYCRIx4tZ00Cc/edit?usp=sharing

I've included instructions on how to use it, but you will only be able to edit the spreadsheet by following these instructions:

Click File and then 'make a copy' - then you will be able to edit your own sheet

I decided to do this incase people decided to troll or anything, but I might make this public in the future!

So please tell me what you think of it - constructive criticism/improvements would be helpful :biggrin: I believe you can export it to Excel if easier, as it was originally created there so that's why there may be some mistakes :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good idea I did my budgeting differently though

Loan

£10702

Leaves

/38 weeks

143.73 per week

-7 phone
-20 travel
-35 food

Leaves

£81.73 a week
Reply 2
Original post by niteninja1

Loan

£10702

Leaves

/38 weeks

143.73 per week

-7 phone
-20 travel
-35 food

Leaves

£81.73 a week

Ahh that's a good way of doing it! This is a thread for everyone to share their ideas and spreadsheets as well (forgot to add that :colonhash:) so if you ever want to upload anything then feel free! All about helping you everyone :biggrin:
The way I would budget is similar to yours.

I have a question, if I got a part time job during uni will it affect how much maintenance loan I get?
Reply 4
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
The way I would budget is similar to yours.

I have a question, if I got a part time job during uni will it affect how much maintenance loan I get?

I wouldn't quote me on this but I believe that it wouldn't affect it at all as it's based on your parents income? Hopefully one of the uni guys can confirm! :tongue:
Original post by PugDevil
I wouldn't quote me on this but I believe that it wouldn't affect it at all as it's based on your parents income? Hopefully one of the uni guys can confirm! :tongue:

You re right :smile:
@PugDevil - does the income section at the top include the Overdraft?? I'd be weary including that for people given that it's got to be paid back at some point, and that's not taken into account (or is it?)...
Reply 7
Original post by mobbsy91
@PugDevil - does the income section at the top include the Overdraft?? I'd be weary including that for people given that it's got to be paid back at some point, and that's not taken into account (or is it?)...

Ah that's a good point... not sure why I kept that in there thinking about it, it doesn't make much sense! I'll edit it out right away, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Edit: All done :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah that's a good point... not sure why I kept that in there as thinking about it, it doesn't make much sense! I'll edit it out right away, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

No worries - awesome!
Ah that's a good point... not sure why I kept that in there thinking about it, it doesn't make much sense! I'll edit it out right away, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

You any good with VBA btw??
Reply 10
You any good with VBA btw??

Considering I had to look up what VBA meant, I would have to say no unfortunately :lol: What were you looking for?
Considering I had to look up what VBA meant, I would have to say no unfortunately :lol: What were you looking for?

Ahh haha, was going to say you could make a really neat little macro for recording expenses etc...
Reply 12
Ahh haha, was going to say you could make a really neat little macro for recording expenses etc...

If I was here for longer then I would attempt that believe me :tongue: I did ICT at AS level so I remember some bits and bobs
If I was here for longer then I would attempt that believe me :tongue: I did ICT at AS level so I remember some bits and bobs

Haha you should

Work has begun on a macro for it :colone:
(More for fun than anything though :biggrin:)
Reply 15
Work has begun on a macro for it :colone:
(More for fun than anything though :biggrin:)

Haha brilliant! If you're feeling nice, make sure to post it in here if you get around to finishing :tongue: (and tag me in if you could :u:)
Haha brilliant! If you're feeling nice, make sure to post it in here if you get around to finishing :tongue: (and tag me in if you could :u:)

Will do! Not sure how good it'll be, but I'll post it and you can have a play around a bit :biggrin:
Hello everybody!

I noticed a lot of people on here tend to ask for help about budgeting for university... so I thought I'd help y'all out!

Here is a link to a spreadsheet that I created: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JMgkOtAw8Ma2vHotT6HtqkHSARNIKgIYCRIx4tZ00Cc/edit?usp=sharing

I've included instructions on how to use it, but you will only be able to edit the spreadsheet by following these instructions:

Click File and then 'make a copy' - then you will be able to edit your own sheet

I decided to do this incase people decided to troll or anything, but I might make this public in the future!

So please tell me what you think of it - constructive criticism/improvements would be helpful :biggrin: I believe you can export it to Excel if easier, as it was originally created there so that's why there may be some mistakes :colondollar:

This is great :biggrin: I have an app-based bank account that does something similar though and it helps so much when keeping to a budget on a daily basis.
It pops up on your phone instantly when you spend so you can see how much you've spent at the end of each day, it lets you categorise your spending (shopping, travel, eating out, etc), add a note or receipt to each payment, and there's a budget-setting feature they're releasing before term starts again. You sign up using your email address only, then the card gets posted to you.
Reply 18
Original post by niteninja1

Loan

£10702

Leaves

/38 weeks

143.73 per week

-7 phone
-20 travel
-35 food

Leaves

£81.73 a week

That wouldn't work since everything is paid in instalments.
For example, my initial accommodation payment is double my other two payments and my students finance is pretty much in three equal instalments.

This leaves me with a lot less in the first three months than the rest of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mliela
That wouldn't work since everything is paid in instalments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have enough savings to balance it out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending