The Student Room Group

Should i be drinking protein shakes?

I've started going gym 4 weeks ago
Not looking to be massive or anything, just build muscle and strength
I eat 3 meals a day, 2 in which I eat alot of protein like chicken breast
Do i need a protein shake?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's down to personal preference to be honest. Take it if you want to. I take it because I don't have a chance to eat 4+ times a day for a large protein intake.
Your diet already has enough protein in it.
Unless you want moist sticky and stinky farts like the other guy then go ahead
Yes you should
Reply 5
Original post by RelucBeam
Yes you should

Im thinking of switching to a mostly vegeterian diet with protein shakes
Eating this much chicken is expensive :colonhash:
My advice would be to lift hard with compound lifts like squat, deadlift and bench and aim for 0.6 g or so of protein per lb of bodyweight. Also eggs and milk are much cheaper.:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mcneill98
My advice would be to lift hard with compound lifts like squat, deadlift and bench and aim for 0.6 g or so of protein per lb of bodyweight. Also eggs and milk are much cheaper.:biggrin:

I'm doing goblet squats and deadlifts
I'm doing isolated leg workouts too
I drink about a cup of milk a day and I hate eggs tbf unless its an omelette :tongue:
Original post by I am Kira

Absolutely no need for protein shakes. Just make sure you eat a lot of calories (I aim for 3200 a day), enough protein (150g+) and you push yourself hard enough in your workouts. I have made huge progress with my body since I started gym a year ago and I'm really proud of myself, and I have never needed a protein shake and unless your protein intake is very low, neither will you :smile: good luck!

Become more consistent before you go down that route.
Also eggs and milk are much cheaper.:biggrin:

Cheaper than protein powder, in terms of cost per gram of protein? No. Not even close. Unflavoured whey protein from a bulk supplier is the cheapest source of protein you can buy, bar none. If you like your protein shakes flavoured then you can buy that and get some food flavour drops.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm doing goblet squats and deadlifts
I'm doing isolated leg workouts too
I drink about a cup of milk a day and I hate eggs tbf unless its an omelette :tongue:

how much weight is the goblet ? I always find barbells to be better for general balance. I used to drink 2L of milk a day it gains some serious weight ^^
Original post by WoodyMKC
Cheaper than protein powder, in terms of cost per gram of protein? No. Not even close. Unflavoured whey protein from a bulk supplier is the cheapest source of protein you can buy, bar none. If you like your protein shakes flavoured then you can buy that and get some food flavour drops.

I'm talking about full food sources don't bust a vein bro, eggs and milk have saturated fat, calcium, vits and the calories needed for growth and hormone control

Protein powders are called a supplement for a reason. Full foods with protein tend to have much more nutrients that help the body. IMO 1 shake a day with a decent amount of whole protein food is the best route.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by dakofsta
Absolutely no need for protein shakes. Just make sure you eat a lot of calories (I aim for 3200 a day), enough protein (150g+) and you push yourself hard enough in your workouts. I have made huge progress with my body since I started gym a year ago and I'm really proud of myself, and I have never needed a protein shake and unless your protein intake is very low, neither will you :smile: good luck!

I don't want to eat sop much meat and food in general tbh
protein shakes will suit my needs more
Reply 14
how much weight is the goblet ? I always find barbells to be better for general balance. I used to drink 2L of milk a day it gains some serious weight ^^

I had really weak legs and incredibly poor balance before working out
I did 16kg last time and that was quite difficult I could really feel the stress on my fourth set of 8
I'm not looking into gaining weight, I'm 12 stone, 5 foot 10 I think? Just want a more toned body, I do have quite alot of body fat for a small build
I'm talking about full food sources don't bust a vein bro, eggs and milk have saturated fat, calcium, vits and the calories needed for growth and hormone control

I'm not getting aggy mate, just stating facts. OP asked about protein shakes, you simply said eggs and milk are cheaper, no mention as to being cheaper than whole foods only. It's of little relevance anyway, unflavoured whey protein is the cheapest source, there's no magic effect you get from eating whole food vs drinking it.

For the record, most vitamins, whilst important for general health, have little effect on muscle growth. As for hormone control... only hormone manipulation that's going to make a significant difference in bodybuilding is of the exogenous and illegal variety :wink:
I don't want to eat sop much meat and food in general tbh
protein shakes will suit my needs more

This guy recommending 3200 calories and 150g of protein doesn't take into account your bodyweight. 3200 is pretty high and for most people would lead to fat gain too, and 150g of protein for most people is just too much. Keep it relative, find your maintenance level for calories and aim about 400-600 higher with about .6 g of protein per lb. :u:
find your maintenance level for calories and aim about 400-600 higher with about .6 g of protein per lb. :u:

Complete overkill for a beginner. Overkill for anyone for that matter.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I'm not getting aggy mate, just stating facts. OP asked about protein shakes, you simply said eggs and milk are cheaper, no mention as to being cheaper than whole foods only. It's of little relevance anyway, unflavoured whey protein is the cheapest source, there's no magic effect you get from eating whole food vs drinking it.

For the record, most vitamins, whilst important for general health, have little effect on muscle growth. As for hormone control... only hormone manipulation that's going to make a significant difference in bodybuilding is of the exogenous and illegal variety :wink:

Cheaper than chicken is what I meant. Where do the other nutrients come from ? Testosterone is partially made from zinc, b6 and magnesium which if i remember correctly are present in milk. Saturated fat supports hormone regulation and T levels.

400 above maintenance is overkill ? How so?
(edited 7 years ago)
Protein powders are called a supplement for a reason. Full foods with protein tend to have much more nutrients that help the body. IMO 1 shake a day with a decent amount of whole protein food is the best route.

Didn't catch this edit, but no mate. In terms of protein, whey protein supplements have an outstanding amino acid profile and are considered a top quality source of protein. I've been getting about 2/3 of my protein from whey for a couple of years now and my growth has been absolutely fine. A balanced diet will get you the nutrients you need, we're not getting all of our nutrients from proteins.

Quick Reply

Latest