The Student Room Group

Anyone taken GCSE computer science?

I've chosen to take computer science as one of my gcses next year. What are ur experiences with the subject? I'm not sure whether or not to drop it...
Reply 1
Original post by cyberqueen
I've chosen to take computer science as one of my gcses next year. What are ur experiences with the subject? I'm not sure whether or not to drop it...

I have just finished my gcse a couple of months ago. at first when i was choosing my options in year 9 i chose computer science along with other subjects. but i found it so difficult that i swapped to Classical Civilization just before halloween holidays and also just before the controlled assesment . i kept having to ask my friend for help and i am so relieved that i swapped because they always kept complaining how hard it was.

i am not trying to put you off but i'm talking from personal experience. also if you intend on doing computer science at a level you don't have to do it for GCSE
Reply 2
I done at it gcse. Expecting an A the exam was really easy for me learnt whole spec in a couple of months as had a bad teacher and only revised a couple of days before. But this was because I enjoyed computing, if you enjoy it then try it, I could of got an A* but my coursework was only an A, and I done so much, I think I deserved higher but it well, jus saying coursework takes forever to finish, make sure it's at least an A, look online, ask on here, ask your teacher, I done like 70 pages on both my coursework combine.
It's devent to me but a lot of people found it hard, if you're not interested in it, or ready for coursework don't do it. If you have a good memory do it, gcse exams are just memory of simple facts. The maths in computing is easy as well so you don't need a^ at least a C in maths will suffice
The people who found it hard were lazy, and everyone got at least a C, maybe one D. With good coursework, you need like a few marks out of 80

This is for OCR hopefully you're doing this? For an A in needed like 49/80 and my coursework was good but not excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did it a few years back. Most teachers are pretty hopeless as they are I.T teachers in disguise. The course can be quite easy if you are prepared to put the time in.
Original post by cyberqueen

Honestly, I took it in year 9 (I'm in year 10) and we took the Edexcel instead of OCR because OCR goes in death whereas Edexcel just skims off the top. I'm thankful to have taken Edexcel but im not trying to put you off but there was ALOT OF STRESS. Taking computer science is something that can be quite redeeming but its a lot of revision. Hope this helps :smile:.
I did it in years 10-11 and its pretty difficult if you lack the willingness to learn outside of school if you have a hopeless teacher like i did, my entire class required 2 weeks extra to complete the practical exam and i barely scraped a B. From my experience, you should also be prepared to trial different languages as we began the course on VBA and in year 11 we were moved to Python which made the previous year basically irrelevant. I'm sure however you may have an easier time if your teacher knows what s/he is doing and can control a class.

tl:dr its a struggle with an incompetent teacher.

(the teacher in question has been sacked after 1 year at my school for reasons unknown to me although he was a cool guy :/ )
Reply 6
Original post by SKiTZoFReNiK
I did it in years 10-11 and its pretty difficult if you lack the willingness to learn outside of school if you have a hopeless teacher like i did, my entire class required 2 weeks extra to complete the practical exam and i barely scraped a B. From my experience, you should also be prepared to trial different languages as we began the course on VBA and in year 11 we were moved to Python which made the previous year basically irrelevant. I'm sure however you may have an easier time if your teacher knows what s/he is doing and can control a class.

tl:dr its a struggle with an incompetent teacher.

(the teacher in question has been sacked after 1 year at my school for reasons unknown to me although he was a cool guy :/ )

Every computer science teacher I know gets sacked even mine.
But tbh I didn't find it hard, it was long and time consuming but not hard, most of the answers are online and your teacher will generally tell you what to do, so as long as you aren't lazy you'll do good, the exam this year wasn't too hard either and there was low grade boundaries but I'm not sure how it will be for your year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Consider you will (most likely) be taking the new 9-1 specification exams, so it will be even harder than people are already stating it is. I'm also taking it next year because I enjoy Maths.
Reply 8
Original post by Harrykel
Consider you will (most likely) be taking the new 9-1 specification exams, so it will be even harder than people are already stating it is. I'm also taking it next year because I enjoy Maths.

There's hardly any maths in gcse computing but it's a good subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdeptDz
There's hardly any maths in gcse computing but it's a good subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a good subject but the teachers are disgusting. Had to self teach myself the entire spec to get an A* because my teacher can't control the class let alone push the class to finish coursework.

To OP: Coursework is amazing. I think of it as a free way to increase your grade without the stress of an exam and no revision necessary. The coursework is also a great way to learn a programming language and how computers work!

Quick Reply

Latest