The Student Room Group

Is it worth only applying to BMAT universities?

I'm resitting my chemistry A-level as I was 1 ums off an A. I did my UKCAT last year and got an average of 590, even though I did the 30ish hours of practice as recommended. The UKCAT universities accepting resits have pretty high cut off points (compared to my score anyway) so I was wondering if I should scrap the UKCAT and just do the BMAT. I enjoy revising facts and writing essays, and am not naturally smart so feel as though the BMAT would be more suited to me. Thanks.

P.S. Also, most of the UKCAT universities accepting resits require at least an A* which I dont have
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by parawitch
I'm resitting my chemistry A-level as I was 1 ums off an A. I did my UKCAT last year and got an average of 590, even though I did the 30ish hours of practice as recommended. The UKCAT universities accepting resits have pretty high cut off points (compared to my score anyway) so I was wondering if I should scrap the UKCAT and just do the BMAT. I enjoy revising facts and writing essays, and am not naturally smart so feel as though the BMAT would be more suited to me. Thanks.

P.S. Also, most of the UKCAT universities accepting resits require at least an A* which I dont have

Maybe do 2 of each but I'd strongly suggest you don't do BMAT for all 4. At least if your UKCAT score is low you can apply to universities that don't consider it as strongly or have some sort of sliding scale for UKCAT.

You don't get your BMAT score back until after you apply so if you fluff the BMAT and all 4 universities use it the chances of you getting even a single interview would be significantly lower.
Definitely at least try sit the UKCAT again. If you get a bad score, it doesn't matter - you can choose to apply only to BMAT unis and those that don't use any additional test (Bristol).
Original post by Asklepios
Definitely at least try sit the UKCAT again. If you get a bad score, it doesn't matter - you can choose to apply only to BMAT unis and those that don't use any additional test (Bristol).

Just a note, Bristol now uses UKCAT (albeit in only a small way as far as I'm aware).
Reply 4
Definitely worth taking the UKCAT again - you never know, you might end up doing very well which opens up UKCAT universities. You can always fall back onto the BMAT.
Reply 5
Yup take the UKCAT. You get the score before you send off your UCAS application so at least you know where you stand. If you score low again, then you know where not to apply and to concentrate on BMAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by parawitch

Does hurt to re do UKCAT. But have you checked polices on resits from BMAT universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending