The Student Room Group

Getting both Edexcel History papers remarked? (A level)

Coursework: 3 UMS away from the A boundary (1 mark) and thought that my teacher had marked too harshly (did relatively well on the practice essays and have done so in the subject and coursework previously).

Exam: Unexpectedly low, had been getting low A*s in practice exams and thought the exam had gone well, handwriting might've been an issue.

The catch, however, seems to be that I'm only 4 UMS into the A boundary. History is extremely subjective - do I risk it?

I did Unit 3 Option E (the exam) - has anyone who has had anything remarked had theirs back?
Reply 1
Original post by lolaacer3
The catch, however, seems to be that I'm only 4 UMS into the A boundary. History is extremely subjective - do I risk it??

No.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
No.

Do I risk getting only the coursework remarked, given I feel very strongly that it won't go down?
Reply 3
Do I risk getting only the coursework remarked, given I feel very strongly that it won't go down?

I think that the coursework is centre marked and externally moderated in which case you can't get a re-mark - the only option is for the centre to request re-moderation of all the work (which they can only do if they have been moderated down).

I wouldn't risk getting the exam re-marked at all, but if you are set on this route then at least get the script back first (deadline this Friday) for your teacher to see if they think it is fairly marked.
(edited 7 years ago)
Coursework: 3 UMS away from the A boundary (1 mark) and thought that my teacher had marked too harshly (did relatively well on the practice essays and have done so in the subject and coursework previously).

Exam: Unexpectedly low, had been getting low A*s in practice exams and thought the exam had gone well, handwriting might've been an issue.

The catch, however, seems to be that I'm only 4 UMS into the A boundary. History is extremely subjective - do I risk it?

I did Unit 3 Option E (the exam) - has anyone who has had anything remarked had theirs back?

Ive sent that exam off for a remark too, haven't heard back anything yet, but I believe I deserve more than I got.

Get copies of your scripts back first and see if the teacher thinks they've been marked fairly?
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
I think that the coursework is centre marked and externally moderated in which case you can't get a re-mark - the only option is for the centre to request re-moderation of all the work (which they can only do if they have been moderated down).

I wouldn't risk getting the exam re-marked at all, but if you are set on this route then at least get the script back first for your teacher to see if they think it is fairly marked.

Original post by StevenGRogers
Get copies of your scripts back first and see if the teacher thinks they've been marked fairly?

Won't be eligible for a prioriy remark (ends tomorrow) then, but as a precautionary measure, it's a good idea. I confirmed with the Exams Officer that you can get a remark of the coursework.
Won't be eligible for a prioriy remark (ends tomorrow) then, but as a precautionary measure, it's a good idea. I confirmed with the Exams Officer that you can get a remark of the coursework.

Are you close to an A overall? If you've got a comfortable B, could tolerate your overall UMS potentially being dropped, and need the remarks as a matter of urgency, then just going for priority remarks might be an option
Reply 8

Whilst the deadline for priority re-marks is Friday, Edexcel normally turn standard re-marks round pretty quickly (under a week) .

I've just looked at the Edexcel History spec on line and, as far as I can see, it's centre marked so you can't get it re-marked.
Reply 9
Hmmmm...I must check again with the Exams Officer, perhaps there was a misunderstanding about the coursework being centre-marked.

Given the swift turnround of standard remarks, it's looking like getting a copy of the script will be the best option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous557
Ive sent that exam off for a remark too, haven't heard back anything yet, but I believe I deserve more than I got.

If you don't mind, could you please let me know what happened with yours? (By PM if you wish?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't mind, could you please let me know what happened with yours? (By PM if you wish?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

what happened with my exam? i havent heard back from my school yet to see if it went up :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous557
what happened with my exam? i havent heard back from my school yet to see if it went up :frown:

When you get it back, I mean. You'll get it back soon, I'm sure and I hope for your sake it goes up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you get it back, I mean. You'll get it back soon, I'm sure and I hope for your sake it goes up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah sure I'll let you know! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest