The Student Room Group

Is this enough money per week for uni?

Hi
I'm about to start university this September and have worked out that I'll have about £65 a week to live off. Does this sound like enough? I'm sure I can budget it well and make it work, but I was wondering whether it is enough or if there are any expenses I've perhaps overlooked.

Thank you!
Is that before buying food?
Reply 2
Original post by niteninja1
Is that before buying food?

Yes.
Original post by EmJ15
Yes.

It's doable but I have £147 a week before food it seems like something is wrong with your budget?
Original post by EmJ15
Hi
I'm about to start university this September and have worked out that I'll have about £65 a week to live off. Does this sound like enough? I'm sure I can budget it well and make it work, but I was wondering whether it is enough or if there are any expenses I've perhaps overlooked.

Thank you!

Easily doable, you ll only need £20 for food.
Easily doable! You only need £15-£20/week for food and very little for transport (it really is worth walking everywhere to save money), and also very little for course costs (get textbooks secondhand/from the library)
Original post by niteninja1
It's doable but I have £147 a week before food it seems like something is wrong with your budget?

Something is wrong with their budget? People have different amounts of money to spend, that's what a budget is. Just because your budget is higher, doesn't mean 'something is wrong' with someone else having to budget less. Your turn of phrase was quite ridiculous.

£65 a week is enough, if you're not reckless then it should be quite comfortable.
Reply 7
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Easily doable! You only need £15-£20/week for food and very little for transport (it really is worth walking everywhere to save money), and also very little for course costs (get textbooks secondhand/from the library)

Thank you, that's reassuring! :smile:
Yep, easily doable! :P I am going to uni in 2017, but started doing mock budgets now. I should have about the same as you left after paying weekly rent. I have said that the most I will ever spend on food per week is £25, which means you can either save the other £40 (like a good student) or you can do what most students and me will do and blow it on alcohol! :wink:

£65 a week you could eat gourmet everyday! :P
Reply 9
Original post by abrack
Yep, easily doable! :P I am going to uni in 2017, but started doing mock budgets now. I should have about the same as you left after paying weekly rent. I have said that the most I will ever spend on food per week is £25, which means you can either save the other £40 (like a good student) or you can do what most students and me will do and blow it on alcohol! :wink:

£65 a week you could eat gourmet everyday! :P

Haha, thank you! :wink: Good luck with uni next year!
It'll be plenty. Have you taken into account things like travelling home for the holidays?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending