The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Whoo! I'm going for Spalding. Same reason as you. Kitchens are a bonus, but my culinary skills max out at making tea, so not much use to me. Not very happy about all the other freshers enjoy themselves over the college bar at Keynes with their ensuites, but I'll live, I suppose.

Haha, I'm not sure if I can work up the motivation to read it, apparently we'll have a group discussion about it in Freshers, so... urgh, King's are such nerds. :lol:

BTW, on that note - you haven't received your CAS yet, have you?

don't worry, you're not alone. Most of colleges have 'group discussion' thing (or whatever different name they use) with DoS/fellows & students during the freshers week, not just King's. :wink:
Some colleges even start the first 'supervision' during the freshers week, though it's usually nothing much more than introductory session and getting to know each other........though I know of some students already got assignment for supervision in the freshers week........
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
don't worry, you're not alone. Most of colleges have 'group discussion' thing (or whatever different name they use) with DoS/fellows & students during the freshers week, not just King's. :wink:
Some colleges even start the first 'supervision' during the freshers week, though it's usually nothing much more than introductory session and getting to know each other........though I know of some students already got assignment for supervision in the freshers week........

i wouldn't mind that tbh, it'd be nice to see what its like as early as possible so i don't screw up the actual supervisions
Original post by EnglishMuon
i wouldn't mind that tbh, it'd be nice to see what its like as early as possible so i don't screw up the actual supervisions

:smile:
Yeah, one week difference on when it starts really doesn't matter in a big scheme of thing at all.

...........just that the weight of reality hitting you may come as a tiny bit bigger shock when it happens when many others around you are still enjoying the care-free freshers week. :tongue:

Hahaha, fair enough. Our book this year is "Freedom Regained" something about philosophical free will, lovely reading for a mathematician. :tongue:

Ouch! I don't envy those with summer work or reading lists. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Hahaha, fair enough. Our book this year is "Freedom Regained" something about philosophical free will, lovely reading for a mathematician. :tongue:

Ouch! I don't envy those with summer work or reading lists. :lol:

It's often natsci that gets going earlier than others.
A friend of my daughter who was a natsci at king's got a long reading list almost straight after her offer was confirmed. :biggrin:
The first (almost) proper supervision for natsci and mathmo at my daughter's college start in the freshers week, while other freshers for other courses just have a nice 'afternoon tea' with their DoS/fellows. :tongue:
It's often natsci that gets going earlier than others.
A friend of my daughter who was a natsci at king's got a long reading list almost straight after her offer was confirmed. :biggrin:
The first (almost) proper supervision for natsci and mathmo at my daughter's college start in the freshers week, while other freshers for other courses just have a nice 'afternoon tea' with their DoS/fellows. :tongue:

*gulps* I'll take it as it comes. :lol: By the way, do you keep your DoS for all three years or do you get a new one every year?
Reply 326
Original post by Zacken
*gulps* I'll take it as it comes. :lol: By the way, do you keep your DoS for all three years or do you get a new one every year?

Depends on the college. At mine Phys/Bio are separated in IA, then you get a DoS for your chosen subject in IB and they're also your DoS for II.
Original post by Zacken

It depends.
Some colleges have more than one DoS for a course, so you may be assigned to a different DoS each year, depending upon your chosen paper or DoS's availability/schedule, etc.
Also, DoS may move to other college/university, have a sabbatical or assigned to other job that unable him/her to take up the task of looking after the students.

But in general, you have formal meetings with your DoS only at the beginning and the end of a term (unless you have some special problem), as his role is to make sure you're generally on a right track on your academic progress, so actual 'formal' contact time with your DoS is not that much, anyway. On the other hand, you see your supervisor at least once a week and supervision is the most intensive and important time you directly have with an academic staff, so they will play more crucial and direct role in your academic life.

But some DoS are more keen to get involved with their students, beyond their expected minimum role and be more supportive than others. And some just want to get away with doing the absolute minimum and go back to their other work/own research. :tongue:
I get 2DoS's for the price of one.
Can i pick the one who is my favourite.
It will be Dr Anthony Ashton sinc ehes a proper lad and wore a blue suit at interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends.
Some colleges have more than one DoS for a course, so you may be assigned to a different DoS each year, depending upon your chosen paper or DoS's availability/schedule, etc.
Also, DoS may move to other college/university, have a sabbatical or assigned to other job that unable him/her to take up the task of looking after the students.

But in general, you have formal meetings with your DoS only at the beginning and the end of a term (unless you have some special problem), as his role is to make sure you're generally on a right track on your academic progress, so actual 'formal' contact time with your DoS is not that much, anyway. On the other hand, you see your supervisor at least once a week and supervision is the most intensive and important time you directly have with an academic staff, so they will play more crucial and direct role in your academic life.

But some DoS are more keen to get involved with their students, beyond their expected minimum role and be more supportive than others. And some just want to get away with doing the absolute minimum and go back to their other work/own research. :tongue:

Typical, thanks for the insight. I hope I've got a nice one who wants to be involved a lot, Jake Wright's DoS seemed really cool from the videos off his channel. :biggrin:
Original post by physicsmaths
I get 2DoS's for the price of one.Can i pick the one who is my favourite.It will be Dr Anthony Ashton sinc ehes a proper lad and wore a blue suit at interview.

My daughter's college has/had 4 for her course. :biggrin:
They were all very nice and really good, but the most senior one was most involved in looking after the students, very supportive, not just on academic front but very caring as their 'friend' too. Simply THE BEST DoS IN THE WHOLE WORLD.......after, of cours. e *cough* @Christ's Admissions *cough*) ......then he left for a sabbatical in her final year......
He's now back at the college but only as DoS for postgrads, not for undergrads. Lucky she had at least 2 years with him.

I don't think it's your choice who's going to be your DoS, but theirs.

Original post by Zacken
Typical, thanks for the insight. I hope I've got a nice one who wants to be involved a lot, Jake Wright's DoS seemed really cool from the videos off his channel. :biggrin:
Good luck. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I get 2DoS's for the price of one.
Can i pick the one who is my favourite.
It will be Dr Anthony Ashton sinc ehes a proper lad and wore a blue suit at interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to add....

I think you'll get to choose your supervisor, though, from the second year onward.

Not very familiar with how things work at Maths dept, but at my daughter's department and a few other depts I know, you sign up for a supervisor of your choice, , depending upon your choice of paper or theme of dissertation.
If he/she is very popular and oversubscribed (or some reason he/she absolutely does not want to take you...:tongue:), you are assigned to another supervisor by the department or find someone else yourself.
Just to add....

I think you'll get to choose your supervisor, though, from the second year onward.

Not very familiar with how things work at Maths dept, but at my daughter's department and a few other depts I know, you sign up for a supervisor of your choice, , depending upon your choice of paper or theme of dissertation.
If he/she is very popular and oversubscribed (or some reason he/she absolutely does not want to take you...:tongue:), you are assigned to another supervisor by the department or find someone else yourself.

I see.
Are supervisors in college?
I see.
Are supervisors in college?

That depends, too, usually on where your supervisor wants to have it..
As I said, who's going to be your supervisor will be determined by what paper you're taking, not which college you are, so unless your supervisor happens to be a member of your college and he/she wants to do it in their office in the college, it's more likely either at the department or their office in their college. And it can change sometimes, if they have a busy schedule and want to fit all the commitments on the day in the most efficient way.

Actually, this is another reason i've been saying all along a choice of your college when applying based on the location of your college (and assumed convenience) is really meaningless. You never know which college you may have to travel at least once a week for supervision.
Hi, could anyone explain the difference between Mathematics A and B in Natural Sciences, in terms of course content and advantages?
Original post by Jamesgj123
Hi, could anyone explain the difference between Mathematics A and B in Natural Sciences, in terms of course content and advantages?

You've already got a reply to the same question you posted before on another thread. :wink:
You've already got a reply to the same question you posted before on another thread. :wink:

Oh, my bad :biggrin:
Are the fries good in Cambridge? Important question
Reply 338
Original post by Zacken
Jake Wright's DoS seemed really cool from the videos off his channel. :biggrin:

The queens DoS for CompSci has changed recently, according to their website and archive.org
Reply 339
Original post by Zacken
Whoo! I'm going for Spalding. Same reason as you. Kitchens are a bonus, but my culinary skills max out at making tea, so not much use to me. Not very happy about all the other freshers enjoy themselves over the college bar at Keynes with their ensuites, but I'll live, I suppose.

Haha, I'm not sure if I can work up the motivation to read it, apparently we'll have a group discussion about it in Freshers, so... urgh, King's are such nerds. :lol:

BTW, on that note - you haven't received your CAS yet, have you?

Sorry if I'm being stupid here, but what is a CAS? I haven't received any e-mail after yesterday... seems all of the material is coming only through mail and not by e-mail at all!

Quick Reply

Latest