The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
Does anyone know has the admin for this thread (@Electrospective) been banned? Because i can't send him any more private messages, and this is what it says on his profile?

In which case can someone else take over his role as the administrator of this forum. I am still trying to contact @EnglishMuon to arrange my second game!!

@13 1 20 8 42 would you consider taking over the admin of this competition, if there is enough consensus for you to do this?

Thanks John R.

I would certainly assume that Electrospective has been banned given those facts.

Maybe. I'm not sure if everybody who wanted to be included is included, and what the intended structure was. Perhaps we could organise something with a more definite structure and give people a bit of time to "register" or not.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I would certainly assume that Electrospective has been banned given those facts.

Maybe. I'm not sure if everybody who wanted to be included is included, and what the intended structure was. Perhaps we could organise something with a more definite structure and give people a bit of time to "register" or not.

I'd rather finish this round of games (tournament). There will plenty of time to set up a new one in the future, in that case. Well does anyone have a problem with me taking over the admin of this tournament in that case, seeing as i seem to be the only one who is willing and able to do this?

Please continue to feedback in to your results to this data, and we can progress through the games as if nothing happened, thanks. John Robinson B.A. (hons)

On second thoughts, rather than set up a new tournament, if you think that there are people who want to get in on this one, please send me their details, and i will set up extra first round games, to progress them through to the second round, rather than having to invalidate any of the games we have had so far, which would be unprofessional, and simply unfair to those of us who have already had positive results!
On second thoughts, rather than set up a new tournament, if you think that there are people who want to get in on this one, please send me their details, and i will set up extra first round games, to progress them through to the second round, rather than having to invalidate any of the games we have had so far, which would be unprofessional, and simply unfair to those of us who have already had positive results!

Tbh I don't remember anyone in particular. And I suppose there are only a couple of rounds left (assuming this set is considered to be quarter-finals). I just dislike how there's no set number of games to a match or set time control for each game or anything like that, and no groups/formula for who plays who next, and that some people won one round first while others joined in in a second round.
Tbh I don't remember anyone in particular. And I suppose there are only a couple of rounds left (assuming this set is considered to be quarter-finals). I just dislike how there's no set number of games to a match or set time control for each game or anything like that, and no groups/formula for who plays who next, and that some people won one round first while others joined in in a second round.

Yes I agree totally, i will pm you okay?

Okay, like i said in my pm to you, there are some things a bit fishy about this present tournament set up, but i still would like those of us with games remaining,, to be given the chance to play them out, to determine the results of this one, before we set up a new tournament. (please check your message board for further details thanks!)

No-one's just joined the second round....

Okay, like i said in my pm to you, there are some things a bit fishy about this present tournament set up, but i still would like those of us with games remaining,, to be given the chance to play them out, to determine the results of this one, before we set up a new tournament. (please check your message board for further details thanks!)

Hey, what's the issue? If there's any issues you could have always PM'd me...although that might not have been the easiest thing to do today....

Spoiler

Also, this was never meant as a serious tournament, even though it could be if you wanted it to.....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by In Uranus

Hey, what's the issue? If there's any issues you could have always PM'd me...although that might not have been the easiest thing to do today....

Spoiler

Also, this was never meant as a serious tournament, even though it could be if you wanted it to.....

Okay me and 13 suggest that we continue to play through the rest of games as per the schedule, and use a time limit of 15 minutes per game each way, unless the two players mutually agree to something else, also no rematches and no takebacks (again unless both players agree otherwise). Does this sound okay with everyone??
Okay me and 13 suggest that we continue to play through the rest of games as per the schedule, and use a time limit of 15 minutes per game each way, unless the two players mutually agree to something else, also no rematches and no takebacks (again unless both players agree otherwise). Does this sound okay with everyone??

That's fine by me. Although me and @umar39 played one game with a time limit of 20 minutes.....
(edited 7 years ago)

Spoiler

They haven't? I thought Irrational Root joined in the second round and maybe umar...I dunno.

I don't care that much; perhaps I have given the impression that the seriousness of this tournament is paramount to me. :redface: I am happy to finish this tournament and it isn't a prime concern.. (plenty of chess can be played outside of it of course)
That's fine by me. Although me and @umar39 played one game with a time limit of 20 minutes.....

that's fine, was that scheduled, and do you want to winner to go on to the second round? Who won btw? 15 or 20 minutes, unless otherwise agreed by the two players. Thanks

I did win my first round :ninja: :sly:
Original post by The Sexathlete
I did win my first round :ninja :sly::

I didn't remember when you joined tbh lol.
By the way I might be out tomorrow with regards to 7pm game. I'm free the majority of the time.
They haven't? I thought Irrational Root joined in the second round and maybe umar...I dunno.

I don't care that much; perhaps I have given the impression that the seriousness of this tournament is paramount to me. :redface: I am happy to finish this tournament and it isn't a prime concern.. (plenty of chess can be played outside of it of course)

In order to progress to the second round, you have to win a first round game. This sounds fair enough to me okay 13? And if the numbers don't add up, we will arrange something like playoffs to settle it okay?

This really shouldn't be that difficult for university students for hells sake!
Sorry electrospective, my opponent is ignoring me. How long do i have to wait before i can claim a victory by default? PS I have also written him private messages and he is ignoring me there too!

Ohh okay. Perhaps one more day then victory by default?
that's fine, was that scheduled, and do you want to winner to go on to the second round? Who won btw? 15 or 20 minutes, unless otherwise agreed by the two players. Thanks

Yup. @umar39 won so he'll go through to the next round.
I didn't remember when you joined tbh lol.
By the way I might be out tomorrow with regards to 7pm game. I'm free the majority of the time.

I'm supposed to be doing some DIY, I'll quote you when I return

Nope. No-one just joined the second round. :colonhash:

Cool! I mean @john2054 has outlined some rules for the next game. And of course games can be played outside of the "tournament" and perhaps another can be arranged with more concrete regulations. :wink:
In order to progress to the second round, you have to win a first round game. This sounds fair enough to me okay 13? And if the numbers don't add up, we will arrange something like playoffs to settle it okay?

This really shouldn't be that difficult for university students for hells sake!

I am not disputing that that is a good way to do things. It's just IIRC (and I may well not) Electrospective organised four games, the winners of those "progressed", then four more were organised, with four people from before and four people who hadn't yet played. Or did people who had lost in the first four games get to play another? Perhaps I should look back through the thread..

Anyways I really do not mind at this point lol, I advocate playing the four games that are set, moving to semis, moving to a final...

Quick Reply

Latest