The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Ffs can't be arsed with James. Literally exact same as Ozil; fans angry at a lack of spending and poor early season results, so the club sign a marquee player for big money despite him not being what we need to appease the fans.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't know... the guy definitely has the capacity to score goals. He is not slow, can play on the wing. Surely better than Theo.

Also it would improve our chances of keeping Alexis and Ozil.
(edited 7 years ago)
Fwiw, either Ghezzal or James Rodriguez would represent an improvement in terms of what we have in the team. I think they are both versatile enough to offer more of a multidimensional threat than Walcott.
Original post by James.Carnell
Fwiw, either Ghezzal or James Rodriguez would represent an improvement in terms of what we have in the team. I think they are both versatile enough to offer more of a multidimensional threat than Walcott.

Be honest Tom, you had never heard of Ghezzal until you saw him mentioned on the Arsenal subreddit today.
Original post by leinad2012
Be honest Tom, you had never heard of Ghezzal until you saw him mentioned on the Arsenal subreddit today.

I watch French football all the time actually, bit of a connoisseur. Guy is better than Walcott. I'll take that. Has a bit of guile to his play.

Would much prefer James though. James scored 17 goals in 2014-2015 season, perhaps we can improve that total but James is no slouch and can be improved. Also, a golden boot at WC 2014 ofc.

Don't know the reliability of Mundo Deportivo.
(edited 7 years ago)
I watch French football all the time actually, bit of a connoisseur. Guy is better than Walcott. I'll take that. Has a bit of guile to his play.

Would much prefer James though. James scored 17 goals in 2014-2015 season, perhaps we can improve that total but James is no slouch and can be improved. Also, a golden boot at WC 2014 ofc.

Interesting, but generally any talk of us signing an average winger are nonsense. It's just not going to happen.

On the other hand, I could see James happening; a needless "marquee" signing in an area that doesn't need strengthening compared to ST and CB to get the fans back on side.
Interesting, but generally any talk of us signing an average winger are nonsense. It's just not going to happen.

On the other hand, I could see James happening; a needless "marquee" signing in an area that doesn't need strengthening compared to ST and CB to get the fans back on side.

If James is deployed as a goalscoring right winger then its not a signing in vain. He is two footed. Giroud is not that bad if we have 2 goalscoring wingers.
If James is deployed as a goalscoring right winger then its not a signing in vain. He is two footed. Giroud is not that bad if we have 2 goalscoring wingers.

That would be the argument for signing him. The argument against is that he has always played worse on the wing than through the middle and would realistically use up all remaining funds this summer.
But then there is also the argument that this season may be a write off anyway, so perhaps we'd be best to sign world class rejects this summer, then wait for Wengs to leave before going madness for a world class striker.
That would be the argument for signing him. The argument against is that he has always played worse on the wing than through the middle and would realistically use up all remaining funds this summer.
But then there is also the argument that this season may be a write off anyway, so perhaps we'd be best to sign world class rejects this summer, then wait for Wengs to leave before going madness for a world class striker.

Yeah, can't hurt to buy him when Santi is nearing the end anyway. I think he could work playing off Giroud in the centre as well but that would mean moving Ozil out on the wing. I think without a proficient striker though Ozil is wasted as a 10 anyway. At least with James you have a goal threat. The one big criticism of Ozil I would have is that he does not score.

I do wonder if we can play Alexis on the right though. Since Ozil seems a lot more comfortable on the left rather than the right wing.

You know guys, Adebayor, (Lord) Bendtner and Chamakh are all free agents. We all know how Wenger loves a bargain...
Could be return of the dream team.
(edited 7 years ago)
Linked with Phil Jones now. You really couldn't make this up.
Original post by sr90
Linked with Phil Jones now. You really couldn't make this up.

If you google Phil Jones, all the news is linking him with Stoke.

Stop contributing to the fabrication of lies.

The righteous hate what is false, but the wicked make themselves a stench and bring shame on themselves, Proverbs 13:5.
I really hope you guys don't buy anyone this transfer window. I'm loving Arsenal Fan TV omg :rofl:
Original post by swirly
If you google Phil Jones, all the news is linking him with Stoke.

Stop contributing to the fabrication of lies.

The righteous hate what is false, but the wicked make themselves a stench and bring shame on themselves, Proverbs 13:5.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/23/phil-jones-manchester-united-stoke-city

"It is understood that Arsenal are another club who have been monitoring Jones’s position"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/23/man-utd-tell-phil-jones-his-future-is-at-old-trafford-as-arsenal/

"Man Utd tell Phil Jones his future is at Old Trafford as Arsenal show interest in defender"
Guess Jones and Evans have/are playing at United and both get their fair share of injuries - so suits Arsenal.
Original post by trapking
I really hope you guys don't buy anyone this transfer window. I'm loving Arsenal Fan TV omg :rofl:

I hope Chelsea gets Mustafi. ArsenalFanTV would explode
Lol at woj. Doing his best flapianski impression. Spurs fans are going To go hard on him.
(edited 7 years ago)

About as reliable as Indykaila.
Really think that Chambers will join the long list of hyped up English CB's that don't quite make the grade. He needs a loan and I think a club like Burnley or Middlesbrough is around his level right now.
Really think that Chambers will join the long list of hyped up English CB's that don't quite make the grade. He needs a loan and I think a club like Burnley or Middlesbrough is around his level right now.

send a cb on loan when arsenal are in need of one?
Possible CL group stage opponents (+ best and worst case scenarios):
Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich, PSG, CSKA Moscow, Benfica
Dynamo Kiev, Basel, PSV, Lyon, Sporting, Club Brugge, Celtic
Monchengladbach, Monaco, Besiktas, Legia Warsaw, Ludogorets, Rostov, Copenhagen, Dinamo Zagreb
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest