The Student Room Group

Ambitious but rubbish: Oxford with AAB?

Hi all!

As you can probably tell by the title I am interested in going to Oxford University, but don't quite meet the requirements of the course. I know that 3As means 3As, but I think that I might stand a chance.

I'm interested in studying Archaeology and Anthropology, two life-long interests of mine.

I'm not naïve and I am well aware that it would be unlikely that I get accepted - as well as there are plenty of other brilliant universities that I could go to with those results - but I just wondered...is it worth a shot?

My A-Level results were the following:

A - Archaeology A-Level
A - Anthropology A-Level
B - History A-Level

A* - EPQ (on the Rosetta Stone)
B - Geography AS-Level

I also have some Archaeology fieldwork experience, as well as completing an ethnographic investigation into the way people behave at the Pitt Rivers and Ashmolean museums.

When it comes to my Personal Statement, in addition to the aforementioned, I will also talk about some books I have read as well.

Do I stand a chance?!?!?!?
Reply 1
Original post by King Haribo
Hi all!

As you can probably tell by the title I am interested in going to Oxford University, but don't quite meet the requirements of the course. I know that 3As means 3As, but I think that I might stand a chance.

I'm interested in studying Archaeology and Anthropology, two life-long interests of mine.

I'm not naïve and I am well aware that it would be unlikely that I get accepted - as well as there are plenty of other brilliant universities that I could go to with those results - but I just wondered...is it worth a shot?

A - Archaeology A-Level
A - Anthropology A-Level
B - History A-Level

B - Geography AS-Level

I also have some Archaeology fieldwork experience, as well as completing an ethnographic investigation into the way people behave at the Pitt Rivers and Ashmolean museums.

When it comes to my Personal Statement, in addition to the aforementioned, I will also talk about some books I have read as well.

As you said, 3 As means 3 As, the EPQ and extra stuff won't change that unfortunately.
no
Did you have any extenuating circumstances?
Hi all!

A - Archaeology A-Level
A - Anthropology A-Level
B - History A-Level

B - Geography AS-Level

Ok, well, you haven't met the entry requirement, so you should at minimum be prepared for disappointment if you do try. If you can do exceptionally well at interview (assuming you get one - but you have an advantage there - no advance test) you might stand a chance, assuming they let you submit the required written work.

TBH, I wouldn't hold out much hope, as entrance is tough every year and generally you have to meet the minimum grades, but if you are OK with getting knocked back, there's no harm in trying if you think you can do very well at the written and interview stages.
What are your GCSEs?
I got A*A*AA, got an interview and was rejected. So I wouldn't hold much hope. But, if you want to apply- go for it.
Reply 7
Original post by simbasdragon
Did you have any extenuating circumstances?

Hi Simbasdragon!

I was given access arrangements during my A2 year because I was diagnosed with dyslexia. But I wasn't sure if that qualified for 'extenuating circumstances'
Reply 8
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Ok, well, you haven't met the entry requirement, so you should at minimum be prepared for disappointment if you do try. If you can do exceptionally well at interview (assuming you get one - but you have an advantage there - no advance test) you might stand a chance, assuming they let you submit the required written work.

TBH, I wouldn't hold out much hope, as entrance is tough every year and generally you have to meet the minimum grades, but if you are OK with getting knocked back, there's no harm in trying if you think you can do very well at the written and interview stages.

Hi Fullofsurprises!

Thank you for the advice. I wouldn't have even considered applying if I was not prepared for failure!

I know that the interview rate is quite high - roughly 81% last year I think, so if I was fortunate enough, I would try and capitalise on the interview. I think what I considered to be my 'advantages', was mostly my extra-curricular stuff, but also the fact that I have As in both Archaeology and Anthropology. Two A-Levels that are not offered in a lot of colleges or 6th forms, and I would be surprised if there were many Oxford students who had both of them.
Reply 9
Original post by Abstract_Prism
What are your GCSEs?

Hi Abstract_Prism!

Not great at all. A couple of A grades but mostly Bs. But, I did not have my diagnosis for dyslexia back then, so, possibly, I might be able to account them under 'extenuating circumstances' possibly???
Hi Simbasdragon!

I was given access arrangements during my A2 year because I was diagnosed with dyslexia. But I wasn't sure if that qualified for 'extenuating circumstances'

I'm not an authority on this subject but I'm guessing that you probably wouldn't qualify. I'd ring up admissions to ask whether you would be considered with your grades. If you're planning on taking a gap year anyway then you have nothing to lose by applying.
Original post by Usernamer555
I got A*A*AA, got an interview and was rejected. So I wouldn't hold much hope. But, if you want to apply- go for it.

Hi Username!

Sorry to hear you were rejected. I'm not holding much hope at all as well (this is my YOLO moment!). What A-Levels were you studying out of interest and what colleges were you interviewed by?
Hi Fullofsurprises!

Thank you for the advice. I wouldn't have even considered applying if I was not prepared for failure!

I know that the interview rate is quite high - roughly 81% last year I think, so if I was fortunate enough, I would try and capitalise on the interview. I think what I considered to be my 'advantages', was mostly my extra-curricular stuff, but also the fact that I have As in both Archaeology and Anthropology. Two A-Levels that are not offered in a lot of colleges or 6th forms, and I would be surprised if there were many Oxford students who had both of them.

It's one of the courses attracting fewer applicants, so in theory your chances are higher, but in practise most courses are very oversubscribed and I'm sure those are no exception. You might get noticed because of your chosen A level subjects, I just wouldn't place too much hope on it, that's all. :smile:
If you're serious about wanting to get in, my recommendation would be to retake some History modules. This means that you'll (probably) be able to apply with an AAA prediction which will probably put you in a much better position when applying. If you're applying with AAB, you're pretty much giving them an excuse to reject you - as others have said, miracles happen but you need to be prepared for disappointment.
Original post by Plagioclase
If you're serious about wanting to get in, my recommendation would be to retake some History modules. This means that you'll (probably) be able to apply with an AAA prediction which will probably put you in a much better position when applying. If you're applying with AAB, you're pretty much giving them an excuse to reject you - as others have said, miracles happen but you need to be prepared for disappointment.

Hi Plagioclase!

Thank you for the advice. I had considered resitting some History modules, but I figured that Oxford would expect AAA within the first-run of A-Levels, so I didn't think it would do me much good.

However I am willing to re-sit, and I would only require re-sitting just the one paper to get an A (I wasn't that far off). So it's definitely a viable option, thank you!
Hi Plagioclase!

Thank you for the advice. I had considered resitting some History modules, but I figured that Oxford would expect AAA within the first-run of A-Levels, so I didn't think it would do me much good.

However I am willing to re-sit, and I would only require re-sitting just the one paper to get an A (I wasn't that far off). So it's definitely a viable option, thank you!

I was under the impression that Oxford accepted resits as long as it's clear that it's not a trend (i.e. you're only resitting a couple of modules). However, I would strongly advise that you directly contact admissions (e.g. the Arch&Anth department) before making that decision, they should be happy to help.
Well the EPQ does have an affect, you did it for a reason and they can mean the difference between getting in and not getting in. It shows what you’re willing to do, but with Oxford there is also that element of luck.
Original post by oliroberts
Well the EPQ does have an affect, you did it for a reason and they can mean the difference between getting in and not getting in. It shows what you’re willing to do, but with Oxford there is also that element of luck.

Sorry, but this thread is three years old. The OP will have got in, or not got in by now.

Quick Reply

Latest