The Student Room Group

***UKCAT 2017 poll***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Pete92
Just got 720 in total, (610, 780, 770). To revise I used medify for 2 weeks spent the first doing practise and the second week doing a simulation test every day and then further practising on the areas I did badly on.

My medify scores were:
VR, QR, AR
Test 1 : 670, 600, 570
Test 2 : 650, 630, 700
Test 3 : 650, 700, 650
Test 4 : 700, 600, 730

During the real exam I messed up VR I knew it and was ready to concede defeat. Luckily there is the new section straight after, I'd recommend using this time to try and get some composure for the last sections as nerves definitely ruined my VR section.

Hope this can be used to help others who are yet to take the test :smile:

Congratulations on your amazing result :smile:

For VR did you get a lot of inference questions such as "which of the following statements is most likely to be true..."? because I find these types of questions to be time consuming and from the official mocks there only seems to be a handful amount of them(ranging from about 6 to12 per mock) compared to Medify. So, I was thinking maybe I should triage these and go to questions with keywords in them to be more efficient with time. Is this a good idea?

I wish you all the best with your medicine application!
Reply 121
Original post by saran23
Congratulations on your amazing result :smile:

For VR did you get a lot of inference questions such as "which of the following statements is most likely to be true..."? because I find these types of questions to be time consuming and from the official mocks there only seems to be a handful amount of them(ranging from about 6 to12 per mock) compared to Medify. So, I was thinking maybe I should triage these and go to questions with keywords in them to be more efficient with time. Is this a good idea?

I wish you all the best with your medicine application!

There were quite a few to begin with, I think there was at least one or two per passage for the first 3 or so. I then had a few true, false, can't tell questions and then there were mainly keyword type questions. I had to just guess the last 10 questions as I had run out of time so cant really remember them!
Just finished the test!!

VR: 640 (Very time consuming and much harder than medify)
QR: 830 (Easy questions, but many of them took 3-4 steps which was frustrating)
AR: 820 (I think there were lots of partial patterns, so even though I got the main patterns, I didn't get all the questions correct).
SJT: 2

Average: 763

Resources used: Kaplan 2-day course and online resources, Medify and Official mocks
(edited 7 years ago)
I know of course the average score will go up, even if by only a small amount. My fear is that it will be substantially higher given that we had one less section to practise for.
Reply 124
Original post by MoshBosh
Just finished the test!!

VR: 640 (Very time consuming and much harder than medify)
QR: 830 (Easy questions, but many of them took 3-4 steps which was frustrating)
AR: 820 (I think there were lots of partial patterns, so even though I got the main patterns, I didn't get all the questions correct).
SJT: 2

Average: 763

Resources used: Kaplan 2-day course and online resources, Medify and Official mocks

Well Done!!!
Reply 125
Original post by Pete92
Just got 720 in total, (610, 780, 770). To revise I used medify for 2 weeks spent the first doing practise and the second week doing a simulation test every day and then further practising on the areas I did badly on.

My medify scores were:
VR, QR, AR

During the real exam I messed up VR I knew it and was ready to concede defeat. Luckily there is the new section straight after, I'd recommend using this time to try and get some composure for the last sections as nerves definitely ruined my VR section.

Well done, great results! Seems like you were better in the Medify mocks for VR. But in the other sections you did better in real, which i guess is the most important!. Good luck with your application!**
Original post by hari_1999
I know of course the average score will go up, even if by only a small amount. My fear is that it will be substantially higher given that we had one less section to practise for.

I doubt the averages are going to go up significantly. The only time it has was when the DA section (which we didn't do) skyrocketed scores in 2013. If it goes up, it won't be anything much to worry about. The average for the three sections last year (excluding DA) was 634 which may climb to 640ish this year at the most but not any higher but I can't see it being even that high!

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%20Test%20Statistics%202015.pdf

I'd say the VR will drop this year but the AR will go up to compensate. Then maybe just a little rise due to there only being three sections.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentsixth
I doubt the averages are going to go up significantly. The only time it has was when the DA section (which we didn't do) skyrocketed scores in 2013. If it goes up, it won't be anything much to worry about. The average for the three sections last year (excluding DA) was 634 which may climb to 640ish this year at the most but not any higher but I can't see it being even that high!

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%20Test%20Statistics%202015.pdf

I'd say the VR will drop this year but the AR will go up to compensate. Then maybe just a little rise due to there only being three sections.

so basically it probably will rise, maybe by about 10/20 points but wont be anything stupid like 700?
so basically it probably will rise, maybe by about 10/20 points but wont be anything stupid like 700?

I doubt the average will go above 650 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe more 10 than 20.
I think if you discount the current mean (taking midpoints of each score bracket) by the usual amount that TSR differs to the UKCAT published amounts (60ish) we are looking at around 645 average at the moment. If you reckon that the average trends down a bit towards the end, I don't think we are looking at much of an increase. Obviously all we can do is speculate though...!

Maybe more 10 than 20.
Original post by saward1988
I think if you discount the current mean (taking midpoints of each score bracket) by the usual amount that TSR differs to the UKCAT published amounts (60ish) we are looking at around 645 average at the moment. If you reckon that the average trends down a bit towards the end, I don't think we are looking at much of an increase. Obviously all we can do is speculate though...!

I think at the moment, the sample size is still not big enough to create a hypothetical average :frown: I think once we get to mid September we can see how big (or small) the increase is. As you said, we can only speculate right now! But still, 645 is muuuuch less than whatever it was in 2013!
(edited 7 years ago)
i got vr 580
ar 610
qr 640
however i got a band 1 in sjt, which unis should i be targeting?
i really dont want to do the BMAT
Original post by loocnhoj
i got vr 580
ar 610
qr 640
however i got a band 1 in sjt, which unis should i be targeting?
i really dont want to do the BMAT

What are you grades like?
What are you grades like?

i have only done my AS and i got bio A
chem A
maths A
psych A
Original post by loocnhoj
i have only done my AS and i got bio A
chem A
maths A
psych A

Sorry, should've been clearer! Are your GCSE grades particularly strong? If so, you can target places that may take this as an advantage!
Original post by Pete92

My medify scores were:
VR, QR, AR

Wow that's amazing!!!

My AR scores are terrible? Is medify good for that?

Also, for the QR is the test similar to medify or harder or easier?

I smedify the only thing you used to revise? And how long did you take to revise for the test in honesty because I think I am in trouble :frown:

So worried, doing so badly, please help :':wink:

Any other advice or info about how the test was etc?

Thanks so much and great score, absolutely stunning!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by saran23
Yep, don't worry you are not the only one.

I think the 1000q book is good to stretch our minds outside the box so we are actually over prepared.

Better to be over prepared than underprepared.

The real thing will be easier(hopefully *gulp*)

Hey, yeah count me in too!

When is your test and how are your scores looking currently?

Don't know what else to use to revise? What are you using?

SO SCARED
Original post by .....Jeff458
Hey, yeah count me in too!

When is your test and how are your scores looking currently?

Don't know what else to use to revise? What are you using?

SO SCARED

Hey, I got 763 in the real thing. The 1000q book is wayyyy harder than the actual thing. Being overprepared is good, but you'll start forgetting the simple patterns.

Just stick to medify, make sure you do all the mocks and work on your weaknesses.

Verbal is quite difficult in the actual test, whereas QR and AR are fairly straightforward.

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MoshBosh
Hey, I got 763 in the real thing. The 1000q book is wayyyy harder than the actual thing. Being overprepared is good, but you'll start forgetting the simple patterns.

Just stick to medify, make sure you do all the mocks and work on your weaknesses.

Verbal is quite difficult in the actual test, whereas QR and AR are fairly straightforward.

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!

Is the SJT a lot harder as well?

I just started revising and my scores for abstract starting terrible (490,510,580) and here is me trying to target 700+

And for QR I am so pushed for time and for VR... well, let's not go there

Quick Reply

Latest