The Student Room Group

Should I retake the As year?

Hi,
I have recently recieved my first year results in sixth form, and I had achieved a B,D,E,D in maths, chemistry, further maths, physics (In that order).

These are good enough to allow me to move onto my last year with the subjects I want to do, although personally I am disappointed as I could have done much better. So... I had appealed to retake the entire year, and now I will go back on the 6th retaking the AS year.

My reasons for this are because the start of the year was tough for me due to parents splitting, and also moving household. I had done no work experience whatsoever through high school and sixth form, and throughout the AS year, I had a lot of stress from family and college work. Nearing the end of the AS year I managed to step up, and managed to scrape good enough grades to allow me to continue onto the next year. And I also managed to fit in some work experience at the start of This summer holidays. Am I making the right decision?

I have been thinking about uni, and I am mostly interested in a natural science degree, although I feel that my chances of getting into a good uni for this degree will be destroyed if i retake the entire first year as I know they will see this badly, even if I may end up getting better grades. Although if I don't, then I fear the second year I will struggle and end up getting bad grades in my final year due to lack of knowledge from the AS year. Also, if I retake the first year, I will be able to reinforce my knowledge, and also have extra time to think carefully about university Aswell as sort out my personal statement. I am really struggling with the decision to either retake or not. And I would really appreciate some opinions on this. I have been really stressing out over this.
Original post by Bradley yates
Hi,
I have recently recieved my first year results in sixth form, and I had achieved a B,D,E,D in maths, chemistry, further maths, physics (In that order).

These are good enough to allow me to move onto my last year with the subjects I want to do, although personally I am disappointed as I could have done much better. So... I had appealed to retake the entire year, and now I will go back on the 6th retaking the AS year.

My reasons for this are because the start of the year was tough for me due to parents splitting, and also moving household. I had done no work experience whatsoever through high school and sixth form, and throughout the AS year, I had a lot of stress from family and college work. Nearing the end of the AS year I managed to step up, and managed to scrape good enough grades to allow me to continue onto the next year. And I also managed to fit in some work experience at the start of This summer holidays. Am I making the right decision?

I have been thinking about uni, and I am mostly interested in a natural science degree, although I feel that my chances of getting into a good uni for this degree will be destroyed if i retake the entire first year as I know they will see this badly, even if I may end up getting better grades. Although if I don't, then I fear the second year I will struggle and end up getting bad grades in my final year due to lack of knowledge from the AS year. Also, if I retake the first year, I will be able to reinforce my knowledge, and also have extra time to think carefully about university Aswell as sort out my personal statement. I am really struggling with the decision to either retake or not. And I would really appreciate some opinions on this. I have been really stressing out over this.

Hmm im not entirely sure but when you're applying to uni through UCAS, if you are retaking your exams than you select pending which means you will be retaking your exams so the university you are applying to will not know what grades you have
Hi,

There's definitely top russell group unis which will be more than happy to make you an offer if you show your determined to succeed and bring your grades up. You'd be more likely to do well retaking the year and getting top grades than going in to second year and coming out with low overall grades.
Original post by Raizelcadres
Hmm im not entirely sure but when you're applying to uni through UCAS, if you are retaking your exams than you select pending which means you will be retaking your exams so the university you are applying to will not know what grades you have

I think if OP retook first year then they wouldn't be on ucas until a year later anyway.

I have an online ucas form half complete from before I made the decision. My head of sixth form told me to just cancel it, although I will need a reason why I am retaking a year, and I have no good reason except: I could have moved onto the next year, but I chose not to so then I can try and get better grades and reinforce what I have already learnt.
Original post by RomeoSantos
I think if OP retook first year then they wouldn't be on ucas until a year later anyway.

I understand, but I was trying to say is that I think he/she is worried that with those grades they won't be able to get into a good uni, thats why I pointed that out ( unless I'm wrong and in some way the university can find out your grade.
I understand, but I was trying to say is that I think he/she is worried that with those grades they won't be able to get into a good uni, thats why I pointed that out ( unless I'm wrong and in some way the university can find out your grade.

I have always prospered to go to a good university, and my GCSE's were great. this big change hit me hard, and I am fearful that my chances are basically zero now. I was told from my head of sixth form that some unis won't accept you if you have taken 3 years to complete your A levels. But now it seems like my only choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
i hope your not forgetting that your AS grades this year counts for NOTHING!

you should be more concerned about what your teachers are willing to predict you as they may feel like this exam does not fully represent you (if you had been getting good grades throughout the year and this was a slip up etc),

The universities may also take into consideration that this is a new spec and so would be open minded when seeing your grades.
I have always prospered to go to a good university, and my GCSE's were great. this big change hit me hard, and I am fearful that my chances are basically zero now. I was told from my head of sixth form that some units won't accept you if you have taken 3 years to complete your A levels. But now it seems like my only choice.

Lool tell your head of sixth form that someone took 5 years to complete their a levels (failed AS 3 times and on fourth time succeed) and got in to cambridge. Theres a thread on it on TSR just search it up. Hmm but I personally know people that have retaken the year and got into Kings college, UCL, QMUL and Durham
Reply 9
Retake the year but make sure you SMASH it this time!

I retook my AS year this year and have come out with far better grades than I did last year - I went from literally failing maths and physics to now being predicted A/B grades and applying to KCL.

Good luck and work hard! :smile:
Original post by hxylxy
i hope your not forgetting that your AS grades this year counts for NOTHING!

you should be more concerned about what your teachers are willing to predict you as they may feel like this exam does not fully represent you (if you had been getting good grades throughout the year and this was a slip up etc),

The universities may also take into consideration that this is a new spec and so would be open minded when seeing your grades.

Throughout the year, my lessons went verry standard, although I always did the work set, and I am also an ambassador for mathematics and physics. I also feel this sudden situation may skew teachers views on me as I am generally the quiet one, and I do seemingly fine in lessons.

I know this first year doesn't count, but just as my head of sixth form said, ucas can see it as taking 3 years to complete a levels. And I am generally mostly worried in how this will and can affect me in my last year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Throughout the year, my lessons went verry standard, although I always did the work set, and I am also an ambassador for mathematics and physics. I also feel this sudden situation may skew teachers views on me as I am generally the quiet one, and I do seemingly fine in lessons.

I know this first year doesn't count, but just as my head of sixth form said, ucas can see it as taking 3 years to complete a levels. And I am generally mostly worried in how this will and can affect me in my last year.

if you believe that you could do better then resit it.
but from what your telling me about being an ambassador for both maths and physics i can only predict that your teachers know your full potential and they would show that through your predictions.

i feel like you should wait for your predictions when you get back to school. if it isn't what you want then resit.

Quick Reply

Latest