The Student Room Group

Best A2 courses for Economics course

Hi there,
I'm looking at 2 courses in particular, one being Economics, politics and international studies at Warwick, and the other being Economics with French at either Nottingham or Durham.
Just wanted advice on which combination of subjects would give me the best chance of getting on one of the two courses?

1. Economics, French, Spanish
2. History, French, Spanish
3. History, Economics, French

Thanks in advance :smile:

PS. I'm a fluent Spanish speaker, so obviously taking Spanish instead of one of History or Economics should make things a bit easier, but am only willing to do it if it won't reduce my acceptance chances
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shcfc99
Hi there,
I'm looking at 2 courses in particular, one being Economics, politics and international studies at Warwick, and the other being Economics with French at either Nottingham or Durham.
Just wanted advice on which combination of subjects would give me the best chance of getting on one of the two courses?

1. Economics, French, Spanish
2. History, French, Spanish
3. History, Economics, French

Thanks in advance :smile:

Maths is recommended for economics courses
Reply 2
Original post by RomeoSantos
Maths is recommended for economics courses

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

Maths is no longer a realistic option for me, so I'm trying to find ways round it. The 2 course I mentioned don't ask for maths specifically.
Original post by shcfc99
Hi thanks for the quick reply.

Maths is no longer a realistic option for me, so I'm trying to find ways round it. The 2 course I mentioned don't ask for maths specifically.

Remember that most applicants will be offering Maths at A-Level, and that Economics at university has a large amount of mathematical elements in it. Micro can pretty much be pure maths, so if you don't like Maths then you may need to consider if Economics is the best option for you. I know that sounds harsh but it's sadly the truth!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Edminzodo
Remember that most applicants will be offering Maths at A-Level, and that Economics at university has a large amount of mathematical elements in it. Micro can pretty much be pure maths, so if you don't like Maths then you may need to consider if Economics is the best option for you. I know that sounds harsh but it's sadly the truth!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get what you are saying but the Economics courses I'm leaning towards are more languages orientated, and would not require the same level of maths as say an economics with finance course would.
Also, the warwick course does ask for A* gcse maths, but i've got that so I was hoping it would be enough (?)
Original post by shcfc99
I get what you are saying but the Economics courses I'm leaning towards are more languages orientated, and would not require the same level of maths as say an economics with finance course would.
Also, the warwick course does ask for A* gcse maths, but i've got that so I was hoping it would be enough (?)

Are the courses BA or BSc youre looking at?
Reply 6

The Warwick course is BSc, and the Nottingham one is BA

Anyway out of those 3 I wouldn't think it would matter too much. They're all strong subjects which show you have the ability to do well at uni.
Original post by shcfc99
The Warwick course is BSc, and the Nottingham one is BA

I'd recommend the BSc which would have more maths and if they only ask for gcse maths A* then go for it.
Original post by shcfc99

I just had a look on the websites for you. Durham says 'In the second year, you study four compulsory modules covering French language, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics and Economic Data Analysis'. This will be heavily mathematical. During the first year at Nottingham it is also compulsory to do some kind of quantative/mathematical modules.

Remember that Economics WITH French means 75% Economics, so when you say that you are leaning towards something more language-orientated, you may wish to change the ratio to 50/50 or 75/25 in favour of French.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'd recommend the BSc which would have more maths and if they only ask for gcse maths A* then go for it.

But considering I wont have a Maths A level, should i go with the 2 languages and either economics/history? Or just the one language?
Original post by shcfc99
But considering I wont have a Maths A level, should i go with the 2 languages and either economics/history? Or just the one language?

Well as history and Spanish wouldn't be relative to your course then you could probably choose either...probably Spanish as you say it would be easier. Although Spanish A2 you actually have to learn facts and info and can't just stroll in to the exam like AS and come out with an A.
Reply 12
Well as history and Spanish wouldn't be relative to your course then you could probably choose either...probably Spanish as you say it would be easier. Although Spanish A2 you actually have to learn facts and info and can't just stroll in to the exam like AS and come out with an A.

Ok, think I'll do that.
Thanks so much for your help tonight. Really appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest