The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anon_98
Right, so I'm going to apologise for how long this will be in advance but I need advice so I think it's vital I go into detail. I'm also just going to put my pride aside + include my grades in this post bc I don't care enough anymore to be embarassed by them but I'd really appreciate it if the responses are somewhat considerate.

Okay so, obviously yesterday was A level results day + I'm not an A* student by any means, but I honestly, honestly expected to do a whole lot better than I did.

My AS subjects were Bio, Chem, Maths + Physics.

My A2 subjects were Bio Chem + Maths.

I literally still cannot believe the marks that I got from some units, I genuinely think there's been a mistake or something bc I came out of a few exams 100% knowing I had at least got an A from mark schemes, common sense etc + yet on my sheet it states otherwise but perhaps I'm simply not as good at exams as I thought. Well, exceedingly terrible.

Last year I completed my AS levels + came out with CDEU.

At the time, I thought I tried for them but tbh, I think I just thought they'd be like GCSEs + looking back, I most probably deserved those grades from the level of work I put in. They still came as an absolute shock to me though bc throughout the first year, I was getting A grades in all class tests. Every single one. I don't think I received below an A grade in any mocks etc. (Bar physics, ofc. )

So this year, I dropped physics + retook all my AS exams from last year as well as my A2 exams and slightly improved the AS grades of CDE to BCE in Chemistry, Maths + Biology, respectively. To say I am dissapointed would be a severe understatement but.. whatever.

My A2 grades however, were DEU.

In every single Biology exam from AS + A2, I got a U.

I got a fricking U in my resits.

Who the hell gets a U grade in a resit.

But it's done.

I also got an E or U in every A2 exam.

I don't enjoy Biology, truanted almost every lesson, found it really difficult + yeah, idk maybe that explains it.

I don't enjoy maths, didn't attempt a few of my final maths exams despite studying for them bc I was really fed up so maybe that explains that grade.

I don't know anymore.

I'm really confused with Chemistry tho. It's the only A level out of the 3, that I'm semi-okay at + I don't know wtf happened. I literally don't know. I was so dreadfully upset, rightfully angry + confused + wtf nah.

So instead of going into sixth form like I should have, I cried for hours, started developing a self-loathing attitude then went to bed for some much needed sleep + celebrated my *****y results afterwards.

Despite my beyond horrific results, I surprisingly had a pretty great day.

But I've calmed down now + over it all so I have decided to evaluate:

I don't know whether A levels are not for me.

I don't know whether the sciences + maths aren't for me.

I don't know whether it's bc it's just been a difficult year.

I don't know whether I took up way too many exams + did more than I could manage.

I don't know.

I would like to study Chemistry at University so apprenticeships + the like aren't for me.

I know that not everyone needs to go to uni but I personally would v much like to go bc I feel like it's a life experience that I wouldn't want to miss out on + I certainly still do believe that I'm capable of achieving something that I'd be proud of whether that be during higher education or after several attempts at A level.

I can't speak to any one professional from school bc I didn't go in yesterday so I'm resorting to asking advice from TSR.

Yes, I regret not going in but I can't do anything about it now.

I realise TSR isn't the best place either bc anyone who fails is deemed as relatively unworthy.

The funny thing was people were trying to comfort me by giving tons of examples of all these business men who got straight U's + are now earning £34897584839, but I don't want to be a business person, I only want to study some compounds that I can't pronounce the names of so it's not exactly accurate or reassuring.

Anyway, I did try really hard during the year, I looked back on stuff + it seems that I started revising in February.

But I don't know whether I burnt out when it got to June.

Or let myself go in the exam hall.

I feel so helpless hence why I'm here.

Tbh, after yesterday.. I am genuinely past caring + I don't actually care anymore about it.

About anything.

Nor do I wish to discuss this matter bc I'd more than happily go with the flow + live each day as it comes then laugh at the outcome.

But I know that in reality, I have to sort this out in order to continue breathing, I just don't know how.

So my first plan is that I retake all my A2 exams this year.

The problem with that tho is that I don't know if I like science anymore, I don't know if I'd be able to cope with doing the same work all over again. I'd be applying as a private candidate so I don't know if I'd have the motivation. What if I get bored + give up? Regardless of those doubts, it feels like the easier option since I have all the material.

My second "idea" is that I take up a whole new set of A levels. - English Lit, Photography + Art + Design.

The problem with that is I don't know what I'd end up doing at University, I'd have to move sixth form + do another 2 years at school + I don't know if my body is up for that. The good part is that I'd probably feel motivated to complete them bc it'd be something new + something I'm interested in.

The third option is that I go abroad + run away from my problems.

No, really.

Go to Africa for a week this August, then if I like it enough defer + stay there for a few months, volunteer + most likely get stressed out again once I return to England. This is infact what my parent would like me to do on the basis that I need "time off" + it'd benefit me. I don't know how that'd help in an academic light but there we go.

If anyone has any advice on what to do then please do share, I'm pretty desperate.

+ well, for anyone else who is sort of in the same position.. remember that you can't have a pretty rainbow without lots of rain. :'3

mate you aren't the only one i retook all my AS exams alongside my A2's
my unit 1 biology came out as an E (same as my first shot at it) my unit 5 came out as a U and overall i got an E In biology. It hurts very much seeing my friends going to uni. but i suppose thats just life. Ive decided to buckle down and give it one more shot. if it doesn't work out this time at least i can say i tried my hardest and then realise that a levels just wasn't for me. my advice would be just keep your head down all year and smash out the exams. its just one year. imagine the feeling when you get into the uni you want.
Reply 61
Original post by Ismail786
Ive decided to buckle down and give it one more shot. if it doesn't work out this time at least i can say i tried my hardest and then realise that a levels just wasn't for me.

Ah, wish you the best of luck.

my advice would be just keep your head down all year and smash out the exams. its just one year.

Yes, but unlike you I cannot go through with the same ones. I can't do Maths + Biology again bc I can assure you that I will genuinely die so it's going to be 2 years bc I'll be doing 2 new A-levels not 1 year + 24 months is a long time + even though I am astounded by the fact that I now thankfully, finally know this.. I won't be able to pick up the phone + ring somewhere to sort it out bc I tried + I want to do it but I can't do it + I don't have enough time to spend hours pondering bc school starts in more/less a week + if I don't make up my mind + get a grip soon then I won't be able to go to school. Like, I'm aware it sounds eminently pathetic but I don't have the energy or something. I can't think about this clearly tbh, I can't think about anything bc I can't seem to be able to process the thoughts. Infact, it's almost like there are no thoughts.

imagine the feeling when you get into the uni you want.

At this rate, that's all I'll ever be able to do. Imagine.
OP dont go university :hand:
Just imagine leaving uni with 50K + Interest in debt ?
Mad isnt it ? Who even says a job is guaranteed once leaving uni ? The "Western" education system is a joke. Degress mean nothing in this modern era. The government wants to enslave its citizens in a never ending vicious debt cycle.

Debt = Slave of the government.
Eat , work , fun , sleep - Repeat till death
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Hey I got DDE in Psychology, Eng Lit and Statistics I practically messed up all my A2 exams, haven't even told my parents yet :smile: why? because i'm absolutely tell s****ing my pants at their reaction. Fact that I have to tell them I'm gonna be resitting the year and that I didn't get into uni :frown: very depressing seeing everyone go and missing out and idk personally find it humiliating when people find out you're not going cause you didn't get in :frown:
Original post by Anon_98
x

Thought I'd just give you a background story to back up that not everyone gets straight A* and A grades and that some people's educational background is just as crazy.

I started last year (2014/15) doing AS at a sixth form suffering from anxiety and depression and left early in December, so I basically lasted a term. I wanted to study Computer Science at university because I loved computers and everything about them. It was that and the really absolutely silly notion and pressure that schools and a lot of TSR tell you that if you don't study a science subject you're a failure. Which is absolutely ludicrous but anyhow. I studied AS Computing, English Literature, History and Politics because I failed the Maths entrance test at that college and because I got a BC for GCSE Science (wanting BB) they wouldn't let me onto Biology, Physics, blah blah. I loved History, my Computing teacher was an ******* to me because I didn't study any other maths or science A Levels and tried his very hardest to kick me off. I would yawn in Politics. English was just quite daunting but I still loved it. I was quite happy to leave and my mental health became terrible to so healthy.

So I restarted my AS having not actually ever done them that June 2015 because of my mental health. Still with a Computing degree for the future in mind, went to another sixth form for a new start and studied AS Computing, Electronics, Psychology and Art. Quite clearly, I focused more on choosing subjects I knew I'd actually enjoy. I didn't care if my subjects were soft or whatever or anything. Just wanted an enjoyable time at sixth form and to study things that interested me. Why bother studying what you don't enjoy? That's dumb.

I dropped Electronics in December because I was getting U's, the subject was okay in difficulty it just bore me. I went from start of Electronics getting A and B then getting E and U in end of term exams. I was having a much better college experience only studying Computing, Psychology and Art. College started to become way more enjoyable when Electronics was gone lmao.

Because I was 18 stuck with 16 year olds in year 12, I didn't want to be stuck with the younger kids up until A2. Though they were lovely I wanted to progress with people my age. So I applied for Foundation Art courses around December.

This was around the time when I realised, Sciences weren't for me. I dropped the notion that I had to study a science so people would regard me more, because I woke up one day and realised - bloody hell I hate A Level Computing and I hate coding. I can't imagine spending the rest of my life sitting and coding for hours on end. I loved using Photoshop, drawing, designing, digital media and design. I knew graphic and media design was a high in demand industry. I also thought to myself, you know what doing this for the rest of my life I'd be the happiest man on the planet.

So I applied for my Foundations at UAL, Ravensbourne, UCA and a couple of local colleges that offered Foundation as absolute last resort. Despite having AS Levels only, all of them gave me either conditional offers of C or above in AS Art or, believe it or not unconditional offers.

Obviously, I'm just lucky to be gifted in graphic and digital design, and that I took an art route. Meaning, my ability and what I showcased in my portfolio at interviews meant a lot more to them than my qualifications and completing A2. Sure, they asked a lot of questions and I often had to explain my position but clearly it ended up not so much of an issue.

I got BCC this year. So okay, not amazing. But keeping in mind I suffer from mental health issues and was in college like only 60% of the time I'd say that's pretty good. The only way I achieved this though was through the fact I was actually studying subjects I had enjoyed and loved every minute studying.

So what I'm trying to say here with this long story is don't study what you don't want to study, study what you're passionate about. I never use TSR but I just wanted to post because I noticed how you say you wanted to do Chemistry at university but then when you're talking about subjects you're passionate about you mention how you wanted to study Art and English. Don't you want to study, and spend your life doing, what you're passionate about? Not what people tell you to study or dictate is good and bad.

You need to breathe, completely forget about whatever anyone is pressuring you to study and decide what do YOU want to spend the rest of your life doing. If it's still spending another 4/5 years studying the Sciences and you still have a passion for Chemistry, I'd say as others have mentioned doing a Foundation Year in Science leading to BSc Chemistry. It would be intense but if you have that passion it sounds possible. But from your grades it just kind of seems like, Science just isn't your passion and you kind of forced yourself to study it when you hated your classes and lessons. Consider Science Access courses also, which is essentially almost like a Foundation year.

If after thinking deeply that Science isn't actually your lifes passion, then I suggest doing a 1 year fast track of A2 Levels if possible in subjects you are passionate about, which may be Art and English as you mentioned. Trust me when I say when you enjoy your lessons and what you're studying it makes getting higher grades so, so much easier.

Consider also Foundation Art courses, however these are hard to get onto as you need a solid Art portfolio, and they usually expect students to move onto Foundation Art after studying Art at A2 Level (you won't really have a solid portfolio until you've at least studied AS Level Art or a Level 3 BTEC in Art which they'll expect). If you do decide to take the Art route, I would also say a BTEC in Art is so much better and actually more preferred by Art universities.

It's quite hard to give guidance, because you seem really unsure of whether you actually ever even enjoyed the sciences or not. I just wish you the best of luck and remember, it's your life. Study your passions! If you enjoy Chemistry but not Biology etc then maybe study A Levels in Chemistry, Art and English. Education should never be a chore nor should you ever force yourself to study something, god forbid get yourself into a career in something, you don't even enjoy or love doing. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Your life is not over

Maybe you should do a BTEC or an access course of some sort to get you where you want to be.
Reply 66
Original post by yellowcopter

You need to breathe, completely forget about whatever anyone is pressuring you to study and decide what do YOU want to spend the rest of your life doing.

Well, I don't want to any longer. I have spent almost a week breathing + now I feel sick bc it's so disgustingly exhausting + the thing is, no one is pressuring me to study anything. I would infact highly prefer if that was the case as at least then there'd be some sort of path + clear direction bc at the moment, I'm on a field that has no decent crops. I don't know how long it'll take for me to make a decision + the more time goes on, the more worried I'm getting that I'll lose any chance of ..I don't know + I realise that no one can really help me with this bc there's only so much other people can do + I need to pull myself together but I don't know how + if I could, then I would've done it by now. Blah.

which may be Art and English as you mentioned. Trust me when I say when you enjoy your lessons and what you're studying it makes getting higher grades so, so much easier.

I used to love Lit + Art during GCSE a whole lot more than the sciences + got A's in both which isn't the best but it may mean I might be sort of okay at them but I do remember committing quite a lot of time to Art but then again, I'll have to commit excess time to everything so I guess it would've been better to pick something that doesn't actually feel like work, if that makes sense bc.. GCSE Art just felt like a hobby + the qualification was, like, a bonus. I used to even unleash my inner nerd + write essays for fun then embarrassingly hand them in to be marked + so maybe these next 2 years could be the best thing ever or maybe not bc as I've learnt, secondary school education isn't an accurate representation of what it'll all be like so I've no idea if I'll adore it or whatever which kinda puts me off.

It's quite hard to give guidance, because you seem really unsure of whether you actually ever even enjoyed the sciences or not.

I used to enjoy them all, yes. - Hence why I chose them. Surprisingly, physics was my favourite out of the 3. First year of sixth form quickly changed that. Looking back, I don't know what possessed me, I think I thought they'd be as fun as GCSE but I was wrong or maybe, I just thought they'd be useful for the future bc I used to have a career goal in the science field that I was working towards which I abandoned later in year 12. I don't even know, year-11 me was ... uh.

I just wish you the best of luck and remember, it's your life. Study your passions!

You keep saying the word passion + I feel like I can't relate lmao.

If you enjoy Chemistry but not Biology etc then maybe study A Levels in Chemistry, Art and English.

Yeah, that's kinda what I've been leaning towards.. I just need to go through with it + I'm struggling to do that + I don't even know why fgs.

Education should never be a chore nor should you ever force yourself to study something, god forbid get yourself into a career in something, you don't even enjoy or love doing. :smile:

Thank you for writing such a long response for me, I appreciate your time, reassurance + kind words + glad to hear everything worked out for you in the end.
Original post by Anon_98
Well, I don't want to any longer. I have spent almost a week breathing + now I feel sick bc it's so disgustingly exhausting + the thing is, no one is pressuring me to study anything. I would infact highly prefer if that was the case as at least then there'd be some sort of path + clear direction bc at the moment, I'm on a field that has no decent crops. I don't know how long it'll take for me to make a decision + the more time goes on, the more worried I'm getting that I'll lose any chance of ..I don't know + I realise that no one can really help me with this bc there's only so much other people can do + I need to pull myself together but I don't know how + if I could, then I would've done it by now. Blah.

At this moment in time, you are under pressure I can understand with the new academic year literally starting in a week! But that should never mean you should rush a decision, remember, this is your future in your hands :smile: It'll all be okay in the end, but the issue isn't as big as it seems! It's okay, you didn't do as well as you thought. You've realised you may have just chosen the wrong subjects. There is no 'no point of return'. Just time to move forward, and that can be for the better! A change in subjects, or a turn around could may soon be the best decision you made in your life. Chin up, and smile! No regrets in life! And if you decide to stick to the Sciences, you may actually end up preferring the style of a Foundation or Access course anyhow!

My suggestion right now is contact your local colleges (I think you'd prefer the college atmosphere) and sixth forms, even if you haven't decided your A Levels or what course you want to do yet, ask them when enrolment dates are, even if you don't know what you're doing, at least know what your options for next year could be! Even if you don't know still attend enrolments, and they could advise you.

I used to love Lit + Art during GCSE a whole lot more than the sciences + got A's in both which isn't the best but it may mean I might be sort of okay at them but I do remember committing quite a lot of time to Art but then again, I'll have to commit excess time to everything so I guess it would've been better to pick something that doesn't actually feel like work, if that makes sense bc.. GCSE Art just felt like a hobby + the qualification was, like, a bonus. I used to even unleash my inner nerd + write essays for fun then embarrassingly hand them in to be marked + so maybe these next 2 years could be the best thing ever or maybe not bc as I've learnt, secondary school education isn't an accurate representation of what it'll all be like so I've no idea if I'll adore it or whatever which kinda puts me off.

I got an A* for Language and a B for Literature because I hated reading, C for Fine Art. I hated Fine Art, and now I'm planning to do a degree in Graphic Design after my art foundation, the irony ey? :lol: What I loathed is now the thing I love the most in life! Art is like my lifes passion. But that's only because my GCSE Art teacher was an ******* I hated it. My A Level teacher made me fall in love with Art again.

You loved doing the Art essays? You love spending time on sketchbooks? You literally sound like an art Foundation tutors dream applicant already. :tongue: I can't vouch for Fine Art A Level, as I did the Graphic Communication syllabus, because I prefer digital design and photography in my art work, more my sort of style. My take on studying Art at GCE though? I love it. I'm telling you, I was actually excited to come into lessons, it was like my favourite lessons. Even my classmates would call me lame because they knew how excited I was every Graphics lesson that I couldn't contain my excitement. I think if you love art as much as you say you do, you're actually gonna love A Level. It is hard work, but enjoyable hard work. Think GCSE but more work, but less rushed and more time to slowly develop your work. Sounds great right?

I loved Language and wish I did A Level Lang, but my new college didn't do it. What I can say from studying a couple months of Literature is you're kind of forced to read books you don't want to. I remember not liking the novels my college did (WW1 literature) and we had to read about 3-5 chapters everyday with every page fully annotated. I had a strict teacher and it did kind of trigger my anxieties a little, but I still enjoyed the deep analytical lessons. If you're planning to do Art and English, let me just say, prepare to just read and be doing sketchbook work all the time. It may not leave time for an intense subject like Chemistry, Photography would be better and would compliment art a lot, depends on what ya wanna get into though. Maybe start researching degrees and careers in alternative pathways in the Arts since I presume you've only really looked at Sciences. :smile:

I used to enjoy them all, yes. - Hence why I chose them. Surprisingly, physics was my favourite out of the 3. First year of sixth form quickly changed that. Looking back, I don't know what possessed me, I think I thought they'd be as fun as GCSE but I was wrong or maybe, I just thought they'd be useful for the future bc I used to have a career goal in the science field that I was working towards which I abandoned later in year 12. I don't even know, year-11 me was ... uh.

This may be true, as I also enjoyed Computing even though I wasn't the best at it. Who said you can't love both Sciences and Arts? :biggrin: I think you should find a combination and study a combination that is more flexible and suits you more. GCSE is kind of completely different to their A Level counterparts. English GCSE I showed up and got A*, English AS I showed up and barely scraped D in my coursework essays. But then, at least you've had a taste so you know whether you wanna do these subjects or not. Keep in mind - if you do a Science foundation course, you'd basically be doing very intense 1 year versions of A Levels in Bio, Chem, Phy and a bit of applied Maths. It's gonna be work, but if it's truly what you enjoy then you should go for it. Same way as an Art foundation is super hard. You do tons of sketchbooks and projects, it'll be work, but again people pass these courses cause they have a passion in them. It drives them. Though it will get tough, even if you are passionate about said subjects, but the passion helps you when its tough you see.

You keep saying the word passion + I feel like I can't relate lmao.

My friends say when I write motivational speeches I tend to repeat my words, whoopsie! Passion comes and is discovered, you've just been studying Sciences and haven't find your mojo, so maybe Science isn't it? Once you find your mojo, that's when you'll start feeling that passion and love for what you may be doing.

Yeah, that's kinda what I've been leaning towards.. I just need to go through with it + I'm struggling to do that + I don't even know why fgs.

Just consider what I've said. :smile: My opinion - is you have a slight love for both the Arts and Sciences. You love Chemistry most I presume, but you think you'd enjoy and have a fun more enjoyable time studying English and Art which were subjects you had such passion for at GCSE.

My recommendation is A2 intense 1 year course (if possible, now that courses are linear some colleges may direct take you at A2 because you don't have to have studied said subject at AS anymore, since AS grades no longer carry). I suggest Chemistry alongside other arts subjects. Then just working hard to get it right!

Thank you for writing such a long response for me, I appreciate your time, reassurance + kind words + glad to hear everything worked out for you in the end.

It's no problem at all. :smile: I know what it's like being in such a weird position, since I have been most of my post-GCSE education. I'm happy to help always. Awh, thank you. :biggrin:

If you're still feeling down, or really quite confused feel free to PM and I'll try help you as much as I can :tongue: Always a solution to every rut you may find yourself in :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by yellowcopter
At this moment in time, you are under pressure I can understand with the new academic year literally starting in a week! But that should never mean you should rush a decision, remember, this is your future in your hands :smile: It'll all be okay in the end, but the issue isn't as big as it seems! It's okay, you didn't do as well as you thought. You've realised you may have just chosen the wrong subjects. There is no 'no point of return'. Just time to move forward, and that can be for the better! A change in subjects, or a turn around could may soon be the best decision you made in your life. Chin up, and smile! No regrets in life! And if you decide to stick to the Sciences, you may actually end up preferring the style of a Foundation or Access course anyhow!

My suggestion right now is contact your local colleges (I think you'd prefer the college atmosphere) and sixth forms, even if you haven't decided your A Levels or what course you want to do yet, ask them when enrolment dates are, even if you don't know what you're doing, at least know what your options for next year could be! Even if you don't know still attend enrolments, and they could advise you.

Thanks for being lovely.

I rang a sixth form thing shortly after reading this, tysm + left a message bc no one answered or maybe it's bc it's too early, I'll try again later but oh my, I'm so proud of myself for finally doing something.

I got an A* for Language and a B for Literature because I hated reading, C for Fine Art. I hated Fine Art, and now I'm planning to do a degree in Graphic Design after my art foundation, the irony ey? :lol: What I loathed is now the thing I love the most in life! Art is like my lifes passion. But that's only because my GCSE Art teacher was an ******* I hated it. My A Level teacher made me fall in love with Art again.

Ah I see, that's so fab + sounds like an interesting thing to do. I can hear the enthusiasm in your voice tbh. Haha yes, the teachers are so important. It kinda sucks but it feels like your entire experience lies solely on their attitude. I've got to say, my art teacher absolutely loved me so I enjoyed the subject a whole lot more + I used to be excited to go to class especially when we had a double period bc those mornings ended up being incredibly relaxing. Infact, I never wanted to leave for break time bc when you get started, you just can't stop, you know? I think it's important to have a teacher that coincides with your ideas as it's all so subjective, otherwise I can imagine it may get irritating when you wish to do something that s/he doesn't wholly agree with or vice versa etc. The best thing by far would have to have been the 10 or 12 hour final piece practical exam (I can't remember anymore). I mean, even though it was an exam, it meant we didn't have to attend all the other boring classes + instead spent 3 whole consecutive days in the Art rooms. I did AQA Art + Design at GCSE rather than solely Fine art which meant one of the objectives was of course the whole still-life studies stuff if we wanted to go down the precise + detailed route which was really calm + fun but then we could also always incorporate photography etc into our work which I loved bc it was more flexible + personal. My camera was so great ngl + going to the photography store nearly every weekend to get them all properly printed was v much enjoyable. It sounds so trivial but I think buying new paints + paintbrushes + stuff also made it all so much more fun + exciting + worthwhile, albeit expensive. Acrylics + inks by far my favourite mediums to use. Gah, Watercolours + Batik too. I do recall spending almost all my lunchtimes in the Art room tho bc I think people really underestimate how much time you've got to dedicate to make sure it's all of equally high standard. A small slip in a certain unit could cost you your whole grade. Unlike you, I don't enjoy Digital art so much tho possibly bc I'm not v good at it. I experimented with G.sketchup for buildings + all that when we were studying urban landscapes, but pretty terrible on the whole photoshop side of things.

You loved doing the Art essays? You love spending time on sketchbooks? You literally sound like an art Foundation tutors dream applicant already. :tongue: I can't vouch for Fine Art A Level, as I did the Graphic Communication syllabus, because I prefer digital design and photography in my art work, more my sort of style. My take on studying Art at GCE though? I love it. I'm telling you, I was actually excited to come into lessons, it was like my favourite lessons. Even my classmates would call me lame because they knew how excited I was every Graphics lesson that I couldn't contain my excitement. I think if you love art as much as you say you do, you're actually gonna love A Level. It is hard work, but enjoyable hard work. Think GCSE but more work, but less rushed and more time to slowly develop your work. Sounds great right?

Yes, I admit it was quite fun. The research wasn't too bad either, rather enlightening. I generally enjoy writing any sort of essays, bar biology essays bc bio essays mean that I have to actually have memorised some DNA stuff + that's tedious + gross.

But who doesn't love spending time on sketchbooks tho? That sense of ownership when you look through all your hard work + perfecting the layout, it's so.. rewarding.

I loved Language and wish I did A Level Lang, but my new college didn't do it. What I can say from studying a couple months of Literature is you're kind of forced to read books you don't want to. I remember not liking the novels my college did (WW1 literature) and we had to read about 3-5 chapters everyday with every page fully annotated. I had a strict teacher and it did kind of trigger my anxieties a little, but I still enjoyed the deep analytical lessons. If you're planning to do Art and English, let me just say, prepare to just read and be doing sketchbook work all the time. It may not leave time for an intense subject like Chemistry, Photography would be better and would compliment art a lot, depends on what ya wanna get into though. Maybe start researching degrees and careers in alternative pathways in the Arts since I presume you've only really looked at Sciences. :smile:

Aha, I was alright at Language but hated it bc we were made to study some really boring transcripts.

Ah.. Hmm..not great. I've checked + if all goes well then we'll apparently be studying Shakespeare plays for the most part + modern novels which sounds okay.

I like reading, memorising vital quotes was so fun + equally so effortless bc it felt like Drama. I also miss the sense of discussion in a classroom. It was nice bouncing off different ideas + trying to understand as well as explore what the author was trying to get at. Also knowing that your creative, out of the box + wacky responses were more than acceptable + favourable in comparison to the rigid setting of a science lab where there is only one correct way to do things. The only thing I'm partially worried about is my handwriting + ability to write at speed bc it goes haywire in the exam hall, like ridiculously illegible.

Well, I'm hoping that since I've already learnt Chemistry then it won't be too difficult to get that up to scratch again. I've unfortunately forgotten most of it tbh bc summer but I mean, I'm more than willing to dedicate as much time as I need to in order to refresh it up to the same standard so shouldn't be too difficult. Hopefully won't be. This past year, I learnt the entire syllabus + stuff off the syllabus, I memorised everything + I left all of my Chem exams bar one feeling pretty confident afterwards, its not even like I had a bad day or anything bc I was adamant they went great when I was done so I'm not sure what happened or how it happened which is why I'm still rather unaccepting of the outcome but it's in the past + perhaps, I left the past papers a bit too late or something. I think that's what it may have been + the fact, I was running on max 2 hours sleep for most of my exams + possibly don't perform at my best at low energy + also ran out of time in the hall bc I'm terrible at time management. I'm going to try learn from all that though.

This may be true, as I also enjoyed Computing even though I wasn't the best at it. Who said you can't love both Sciences and Arts? :biggrin: I think you should find a combination and study a combination that is more flexible and suits you more. GCSE is kind of completely different to their A Level counterparts. English GCSE I showed up and got A*, English AS I showed up and barely scraped D in my coursework essays. But then, at least you've had a taste so you know whether you wanna do these subjects or not. Keep in mind - if you do a Science foundation course, you'd basically be doing very intense 1 year versions of A Levels in Bio, Chem, Phy and a bit of applied Maths. It's gonna be work, but if it's truly what you enjoy then you should go for it. Same way as an Art foundation is super hard. You do tons of sketchbooks and projects, it'll be work, but again people pass these courses cause they have a passion in them. It drives them. Though it will get tough, even if you are passionate about said subjects, but the passion helps you when its tough you see.

Ah, thanks for explaining. - Wasn't aware.

Yeah, I guess if you're doing something you truly like then you'll be willing to spend that time doing it regardless of the level of difficulty, bc it won't feel like so much of a.. burden.

My friends say when I write motivational speeches I tend to repeat my words, whoopsie! Passion comes and is discovered, you've just been studying Sciences and haven't find your mojo, so maybe Science isn't it? Once you find your mojo, that's when you'll start feeling that passion and love for what you may be doing.

Just consider what I've said. :smile: My opinion - is you have a slight love for both the Arts and Sciences. You love Chemistry most I presume, but you think you'd enjoy and have a fun more enjoyable time studying English and Art which were subjects you had such passion for at GCSE.

My recommendation is A2 intense 1 year course (if possible, now that courses are linear some colleges may direct take you at A2 because you don't have to have studied said subject at AS anymore, since AS grades no longer carry). I suggest Chemistry alongside other arts subjects. Then just working hard to get it right!

It's no problem at all. :smile: I know what it's like being in such a weird position, since I have been most of my post-GCSE education. I'm happy to help always. Awh, thank you. :biggrin:

If you're still feeling down, or really quite confused feel free to PM and I'll try help you as much as I can :tongue: Always a solution to every rut you may find yourself in :wink:

Oh right, yes of course. I forgot about the AS scrap thingy, I'll remember to check with them to see if it's possible. Just hope a 1 year course thats meant to be 2 won't be too overwhelming.

Thanks again, that's really sweet of you to offer. - I'll keep it in mind. You've made quite a lot clear for me + I'm grateful. I seem to need so much encouragement to, like, blink smh. So weak. :emo:

:cube:
Original post by Pudge666
Mate be proud , you took some hard academic subjects unlike half of tsr students who brag about their a* in subjects like breathing and cleaning tea pot

Though I found this funny, I thought at the same time it would be important to explain and clarify how taking "hard" subjects at A level , wouldn't necessarily guarantee you anything. There will be students choosing their subjects for AS so we certainly need to be honest about this with them. In no way am I trying to remove the attention from Anon but I've seen this comment and advice given on so many occasions when someone on here for example has said they want to study, for i.e Psychology, History, Drama and Media Studies with another user saying why don't you swap Media and Drama for Maths and Geography though it's clear that the first list of subjects is where their passions lies. .

I'm glad this user made this comment so others could refer to it. Whether you take six A levels in Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, History, Chemistry and Physics, it wouldn't matter unless you excel and meet your entry requirements for your subject at university in them!
These students taking subjects described as "soft" or poor are still entering Russell group universities to study their wanted course. It all depends on what you would like to study and where. Some courses at uni need certain A levels i.e Chemistry, Biology needed for Medicine, Physics and Maths needed for Engineering but apart from that students should pick their interests and what they enjoy studying because there is a higher chance of them excelling in those subjects within the two years.

The reality is this, true story, our head girl who got accepted into Cambridge studied English Literature, Psychology, Art and Sociology at AS, taking English Lit, Psychology and Art into A2. She'll be studying psychology and behavioural science at Cambridge this September. They didn't think well, she didn't take hardcore subjects so she isn't eligible but instead focused on the consistency of her grades. Last week Thursday she got A*AA.
In my first attempt of AS, I took English Literature, Chemistry, Physics and Maths because I believed this would give me the most flexibility when coming to choose a course for university and my pride wouldn't dare let me take "soft" subjects but with my final grades, I failed. She was in a better position than I was last year with AAAA though she had taken "softer" subjects

Never pick these "hard" subjects unless you enjoy them/have interest in them or need them for your course at uni. If you do not need these courses for what you want to study, do not stress yourself and choose what you know you can handle plus enjoy studying for the next two years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cherry82
Though I found this funny, I thought at the same time it would be important to explain and clarify how taking "hard" subjects at A level , wouldn't necessarily guarntee you anything. There will be students choosing their subjects for AS so we certainly need to be honest about this with them. In no way am I trying to remove the attention from Anon but I've seen this comment and advice given on so many occasions when someone on here for example has said they want to study, for i.e Psychology, History, Drama and Media Studies with another user saying why don't you swap Media and Drama for Maths and Geography though it's clear that the first list of subjects is where their passions lies. .

I'm glad this user made this comment so others could refer to it. Whether you take six A levels in Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, History, Chemistry and Physics, it wouldn't matter unless you excel and meet your entry requirements for your subject at university in them!
These students taking subjects described as "soft" or poor are still entering Russell group universities to study their wanted course. It all depends on what you would like to study and where. Some courses at uni need certain A levels i.e Chemistry, Biology needed for Medicine, Physics and Maths needed for Engineering but apart from that students should pick their internets and what they enjoy studying because there is a higher chance of them excelling in those subjects within the two years.

The reality is this, true story, our head girl who got accepted into Cambridge studied English Literature, Psychology, Art and Sociology at AS, taking English Lit, Psychology and Art into A2. She'll be studying psychology and behavioural science at Cambridge this September. They didn't think well, she didn't take hardcore subjects so she isn't eligible but instead focused on the consistency of her grades. Last week Thursday she got A*AA.
In my first attempt of AS, I took English Literature, Chemistry, Physics and Maths because I believed this would give me the most flexibility when coming to choose a course for university and my pride wouldn't dare let me take "soft" subjects but with my final grades, I failed. She was in a better position than I was last year with AAAA though she had taken "softer" subjects

Never pick these "hard" subjects unless you enjoy them/have interest in them or need them for your course at uni. If you do not need these courses for what you want to study, do not stress yourself and choose what you know you can handle plus enjoy studying for the next two years.

Most people viewing this thread are people who have failed these hard subject so really you may have a point but not this is not the thread.
Though I found this funny, I thought at the same time it would be important to explain and clarify how taking "hard" subjects at A level , wouldn't necessarily guarantee you anything. There will be students choosing their subjects for AS so we certainly need to be honest about this with them. In no way am I trying to remove the attention from Anon but I've seen this comment and advice given on so many occasions when someone on here for example has said they want to study, for i.e Psychology, History, Drama and Media Studies with another user saying why don't you swap Media and Drama for Maths and Geography though it's clear that the first list of subjects is where their passions lies. .

These students taking subjects described as "soft" or poor are still entering Russell group universities to study their wanted course. It all depends on what you would like to study and where. Some courses at uni need certain A levels i.e Chemistry, Biology needed for Medicine, Physics and Maths needed for Engineering but apart from that students should pick their internets and what they enjoy studying because there is a higher chance of them excelling in those subjects within the two years.

I am just trying to make op feel better , relax lol
Original post by Imtheish
Most people viewing this thread are people who have failed these hard subject so really you may have a point but not this is not the thread.

I got a*a*ac and i am viewing this thread. So smd
From your post it seems like A levels are not for you.

You even seem rather confused and shocked by what happened.

I don't think its worth it resetting your A levels Again when you can move on and perhaps to BTEC science level 3?
Firstly I just want to say it's all going to be okay. People go through this but don't tell anyone as they feel ashamed.*

You are human and these things happen. I would suggest looking into maybe re doing 2 alevels and maybe a btec to make sure you will be able to have enough ucas points to get into uni.

People at uni are all ages. Not everyone is 18 :smile: forget age. When you are 80 the couple of years 'repeated' will make no difference to you.

Think about this. Write down all your options and have a few days to think it through.

We are all human and it will be ok :smile:*

Those people you're mentioning, I am one of them and though it may make me uncomfortable, I need to be honest with everthing.
I understand where you are coming from, but you see not only do those who have done A levels or finished A levels or failed are viewing this thread but previous, GCSE about to enter AS/current GCSEs students from a younger audience are/can be too. This is a public site and thread. I think we should be honest. It really isn't about the subjects you take unless you need them because someone could see that comment and other comments similar in nature, entering September with that mentality.
(edited 7 years ago)

Agreed, i too had a pride issue and picked English Lit, history and physics when in reality I didn't even need any specific a levels for my uni course of accounting and finance. I ended up with 3 Cs and it's frustrating seeing people doing easy subjects but getting better grades haha. DO you think these grades will limit me a lot in the future and i should do a gap year and resit or should i just go straight for Uni? Most people are saying the latter option as unless you get terrible a levl grades, it wouldn't be an issue..
Any help appreciated
Original post by alexp98
Agreed, i too had a pride issue and picked English Lit, history and physics when in reality I didn't even need any specific a levels for my uni course of accounting and finance. I ended up with 3 Cs and it's frustrating seeing people doing easy subjects but getting better grades haha. DO you think these grades will limit me a lot in the future and i should do a gap year and resit or should i just go straight for Uni? Most people are saying the latter option as unless you get terrible a levl grades, it wouldn't be an issue..
Any help appreciated

Hey, :smile:
no worries, this was me too but may I say you did well with your A levels.
It depends. What university/universities are you interested in to study accounting and Finance then what are their entry requirements? Some universities may require AAA, ABB or BBB. Apart from this, if you've met the entry requirements for your desired university, you should be ok. Normally, people in this situation that re-sit modules do so if they've not met the entry requirements of their wanted/desired uni so they could reapply later but if you've met them, you should be ok. If you have any more questions, feel free to P'M me :h: It would allow more privacy plus I feel bad for changing the subject and attention from Anon's situation.
Original post by Pudge666
I got a*a*ac and i am viewing this thread. So smd

I don't suck shrimp dickthank you
I don't suck shrimp dickthank you

Then don't make stupid assumptions and uncesessary comments, makes you look like a moron.

Latest