The Student Room Group

Film production: UCA vs Hertfordshire. HELP!

Hello there,
well first of all, it's my first post and I hope I'm in the right section!

Anyway. I received an unconditional offer from Hertfordshire to do Film and television production, and also a conditional (going unconditional as soon as I send some documents I'm assuming) offer at UCA Farnham for Film production, and I don't know what to choose!

I am extremely attracted to Hertfordshire, especially its study abroad range (they offer my course in California, which is my lifelong dream). However, if I don't get accepted into the year abroad, I want to have a strong creative degree, which would then come from UCA as it is a much more creative based university.

However, I hate Farnham, I have been there twice and just by walking to the uni, I don't like the area. Furthermore current students have confirmed that the night life is non existent. Whereas Herts gives me at least a little more options.

Nightlife aside, what is the best uni for Film production? But which one will offer me the most valuable and relevant degree? (as in, someone sees it and goes 'wow yes I hear of that uni!').

Please help, it's stressing me out. Thank You!

PS. I have been to an open day at Farnham, and I'm going to the Herts one in March!
Original post by tashaxn
Hello there,
well first of all, it's my first post and I hope I'm in the right section!

Anyway. I received an unconditional offer from Hertfordshire to do Film and television production, and also a conditional (going unconditional as soon as I send some documents I'm assuming) offer at UCA Farnham for Film production, and I don't know what to choose!

I am extremely attracted to Hertfordshire, especially its study abroad range (they offer my course in California, which is my lifelong dream). However, if I don't get accepted into the year abroad, I want to have a strong creative degree, which would then come from UCA as it is a much more creative based university.

However, I hate Farnham, I have been there twice and just by walking to the uni, I don't like the area. Furthermore current students have confirmed that the night life is non existent. Whereas Herts gives me at least a little more options.

Nightlife aside, what is the best uni for Film production? But which one will offer me the most valuable and relevant degree? (as in, someone sees it and goes 'wow yes I hear of that uni!':wink:.

Please help, it's stressing me out. Thank You!

PS. I have been to an open day at Farnham, and I'm going to the Herts one in March!

Hopefully someone will be along soon to give you some personal experiences.

In the meantime you can compare the courses on unistats: https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10006427FT-FFIPFBAH/ReturnTo/Search v https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007147FT-CTFMTV-FILM_TV_PROD/ReturnTo/Search

The employment stats are interesting - Herts students are more likely to be unemployed (but only a bit) while UCA students are more likely to end up working in a non-professional job.

You've got plenty of time to make this decision so definitely use it. Especially use the Easter break to visit both universities again. If you contact them and ask they'll usually be able to pair you up with someone currently studying that course for an independent visit which will give you a chance to ask about the good and the bad of both places.

If you genuinely hate Farnham then don't accept the offer - you're not going to thrive and perform to your best if you're unhappy.
Hey, I'm in this exact same situation except it's now a day before results day and i'm still undecided. Did you end up choosing which you prefer and any way you can advise me at all??
Original post by shantellekeech
Hey, I'm in this exact same situation except it's now a day before results day and i'm still undecided. Did you end up choosing which you prefer and any way you can advise me at all??

I'm in the same situation too. Except my firm is Royal Holoway for film and in Hertfordshire, my insurance, it's English lit with Film (which I don't mind at all since I like English too) but I heard I can call my unis up to see if I can choose my insurance over my firm. I'm so nervous about moving out and if I went Hertfordshire I would commute. I'm iust worried about which place is better to do film, and is it worth giving up Royal Holloway for Hertfordshire. Thing is... I want to become a media teacher or English teacher (if I go Herts) so I am thinking does it matter which uni I go to to get into teaching because that a bit different than employment in the film industry. I'm so stressed about this!
Reply 4
Original post by shantellekeech

Hey so sorry for late reply! I went with Herts. It appeals to me overall, both the uni life and course. They have an AMAZING study abroad programme which I've always wanted to do. UCA is great, but I personally feel like I would give up halfway through the year simply because Farnham makes me so uncomfortable. But thats a personal preference. Herts actually has a very good course with professional teachers and learning facilities (the filming studio is amazing). I cannot lie, I still doubt myself about leaving a UCA offer, but I know I would not be happy there.
Reply 5
Original post by Rumenaaa317
I'm in the same situation too. Except my firm is Royal Holoway for film and in Hertfordshire, my insurance, it's English lit with Film (which I don't mind at all since I like English too) but I heard I can call my unis up to see if I can choose my insurance over my firm. I'm so nervous about moving out and if I went Hertfordshire I would commute. I'm iust worried about which place is better to do film, and is it worth giving up Royal Holloway for Hertfordshire. Thing is... I want to become a media teacher or English teacher (if I go Herts) so I am thinking does it matter which uni I go to to get into teaching because that a bit different than employment in the film industry. I'm so stressed about this!

I know I'm supposed to be a Herts girl now that I confirmed my offer, but I'm gonna advice you to go RH. I wanted to apply there but felt very insecure about it since their standards are so high. I don't regret not applying because I would have not had a chance in hell ahah but if you got a place it means you are very much what they are looking for. Did you do a test before being offered a place? RH is great, has lots of industry links and ranks quite high in league tables so defo go! Also, don't be scared to move out!! trust me you're gonna wish you did if you don't! There is so much to learn (and do) when you move away from home.
Original post by tashaxn
I know I'm supposed to be a Herts girl now that I confirmed my offer, but I'm gonna advice you to go RH. I wanted to apply there but felt very insecure about it since their standards are so high. I don't regret not applying because I would have not had a chance in hell ahah but if you got a place it means you are very much what they are looking for. Did you do a test before being offered a place? RH is great, has lots of industry links and ranks quite high in league tables so defo go! Also, don't be scared to move out!! trust me you're gonna wish you did if you don't! There is so much to learn (and do) when you move away from home.

Wow thank you so much for your honest advice! I had a think about it and I think my nerves are just getting the better of me. I think I'll just deal with the nerves for now before I make any decisions too quickly which I may regret. I really liked the idea of studying abroad in Hertfordshire but I guess I can always find a summer job or something like that somewhere in Europe to build my experience. And I had an interview for Royal Holloway aswell and they asked me quite philosophical questions like what do I think about 3D film and what does film mean to me, but I think they were looking for a more passionate and deep answer than a straightforward one of you get me? But yeah gladly I passed that too. I took such random subjects, Double Health and social care (BTEC), science (btec) and media which is an a level and they wanted me to get 3 distinctions in my BTEC and a B at least for media which I achieved thankfully but if I didn't I wouldn't have minded at all going to Hertfordshire. Anyways, thanks for your help once again, I will try and look forward to uni and moving in September, but I think I'm most excited about being near central lol :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Wow thank you so much for your honest advice! I had a think about it and I think my nerves are just getting the better of me. I think I'll just deal with the nerves for now before I make any decisions too quickly which I may regret. I really liked the idea of studying abroad in Hertfordshire but I guess I can always find a summer job or something like that somewhere in Europe to build my experience. And I had an interview for Royal Holloway aswell and they asked me quite philosophical questions like what do I think about 3D film and what does film mean to me, but I think they were looking for a more passionate and deep answer than a straightforward one of you get me? But yeah gladly I passed that too. I took such random subjects, Double Health and social care (BTEC), science (btec) and media which is an a level and they wanted me to get 3 distinctions in my BTEC and a B at least for media which I achieved thankfully but if I didn't I wouldn't have minded at all going to Hertfordshire. Anyways, thanks for your help once again, I will try and look forward to uni and moving in September, but I think I'm most excited about being near central lol :smile:

No problem at all! Definitely take your time and make the right choice, you will know what's best for you. And wow that's great that you passed the RH interview! They are very picky on who joins their courses, so dw about their answers, they must have seen potential in you! Good luck :smile:
Original post by tashaxn
No problem at all! Definitely take your time and make the right choice, you will know what's best for you. And wow that's great that you passed the RH interview! They are very picky on who joins their courses, so dw about their answers, they must have seen potential in you! Good luck :smile:

Aw thank you, I think I will go for Royal Holloway, just not looking forward to the Accomodation really because they gave me my 5th choice :frown: Other than that I think it's alright. :smile:
Reply 9
Aw thank you, I think I will go for Royal Holloway, just not looking forward to the Accomodation really because they gave me my 5th choice :frown: Other than that I think it's alright. :smile:

RH is great, and yeah very close to Central :smile: In regards to your accommodation, it does tend to happen! But next year when you know the best spots on campus you can apply for them and occupy them before anyone else :wink:
Original post by tashaxn
RH is great, and yeah very close to Central :smile: In regards to your accommodation, it does tend to happen! But next year when you know the best spots on campus you can apply for them and occupy them before anyone else :wink:

Haha yeah that's true I guess, I'll probably do that if I'm not considering to find my own place. Just wanted to ask, how's film studies going for you? Do you know what you want to do after uni? I feel like I'll be the only person who isn't as smart lol, is the transition from a level to uni very different and all of a sudden or it happens slowly? I don't even know if that made sense haha sorry!
Reply 11
Haha yeah that's true I guess, I'll probably do that if I'm not considering to find my own place. Just wanted to ask, how's film studies going for you? Do you know what you want to do after uni? I feel like I'll be the only person who isn't as smart lol, is the transition from a level to uni very different and all of a sudden or it happens slowly? I don't even know if that made sense haha sorry!

Well I haven't started uni yet, but I know film is what I'm supposed to be doing. I have doubts once in a while since I love theatre and sometimes I feel like thats what I should be doing instead, but I guess that what you called the transition from A levels to uni. Uni is narrowed down, is shaping your career, while in college we might feel like we have more options. I suppose it's a big jump but very worthwhile, like I'm so excited for uni, I cannot wait to start and see how it goes! lol
Original post by tashaxn
Well I haven't started uni yet, but I know film is what I'm supposed to be doing. I have doubts once in a while since I love theatre and sometimes I feel like thats what I should be doing instead, but I guess that what you called the transition from A levels to uni. Uni is narrowed down, is shaping your career, while in college we might feel like we have more options. I suppose it's a big jump but very worthwhile, like I'm so excited for uni, I cannot wait to start and see how it goes! lol

Ohhh right, so your starting this September? Ah if I chose Hertfordshire we would be in the same course, wouldn't we? I'm sure you'll have a great time there, let me know how it goes, and I think spending a year abroad to do something with film is a great opportunity :biggrin: Yeah I guess it's probably 'easier' since it's something that you enjoy and it's only one subject. I'm hoping everyone is just on the same level as me. What project did you do for your a level media? (I'm just assuming you took media lol but if you didn't, what courses did you take? :smile: )
Reply 13
Ohhh right, so your starting this September? Ah if I chose Hertfordshire we would be in the same course, wouldn't we? I'm sure you'll have a great time there, let me know how it goes, and I think spending a year abroad to do something with film is a great opportunity :biggrin: Yeah I guess it's probably 'easier' since it's something that you enjoy and it's only one subject. I'm hoping everyone is just on the same level as me. What project did you do for your a level media? (I'm just assuming you took media lol but if you didn't, what courses did you take? :smile: )

Yeah I'm starting Sept! and I guess, I'm doing film & tv production :smile: I did film studies, theatre and performing arts in college, for film we did a bunch a little projects and then a major one, which was a short film of 7 or 12 mins I think? wbu?:smile:
Original post by tashaxn
Yeah I'm starting Sept! and I guess, I'm doing film & tv production :smile: I did film studies, theatre and performing arts in college, for film we did a bunch a little projects and then a major one, which was a short film of 7 or 12 mins I think? wbu?:smile:

Oh that's cool, where in the UK are you from? Oh what sort of genre did you pick for your short film? I took media studies at a level alongside two random subjects (health and social care and science) and I did coursework for the first half of both years, in year 12 I did a film opening which had to be 2 mins (I chose the horror genre) then the second half of the year we prepared for the exam. And the second year is the same excite for coursework we had to choose between music video or film trailer. I preferred film trailer but the rest of my class chose music video lol, so I did that which was fun, then exams again lol. Royal Holloway are sending me these forms and stuff to fill out its honestly stressing me out, it's complicated (or maybe I'm just sick of it, or procrastinating) but I just wish I hired somebody to do all this signing in and filling forms in for me 😭😭 :frown:
Reply 15
Oh that's cool, where in the UK are you from? Oh what sort of genre did you pick for your short film? I took media studies at a level alongside two random subjects (health and social care and science) and I did coursework for the first half of both years, in year 12 I did a film opening which had to be 2 mins (I chose the horror genre) then the second half of the year we prepared for the exam. And the second year is the same excite for coursework we had to choose between music video or film trailer. I preferred film trailer but the rest of my class chose music video lol, so I did that which was fun, then exams again lol. Royal Holloway are sending me these forms and stuff to fill out its honestly stressing me out, it's complicated (or maybe I'm just sick of it, or procrastinating) but I just wish I hired somebody to do all this signing in and filling forms in for me 😭😭 :frown:

Awww, I'm from south london! you? And your course sounds much easier than mine, we did 2 projects in year 12 and one major one in year 13 as well as the written exam, which is what brought my whole grade down. RH are very serious when it comes to their students, it just means they wanna know a lot about you :P
Original post by tashaxn
Awww, I'm from south london! you? And your course sounds much easier than mine, we did 2 projects in year 12 and one major one in year 13 as well as the written exam, which is what brought my whole grade down. RH are very serious when it comes to their students, it just means they wanna know a lot about you :P

Oh that's cool, I'm from Bedford which is around 30/40 mins drive away from Hertfordshire. It's near Milton Keynes if you've heard of that place? Aw that's good, at least you'll be more prepared to do a lot of work! And yeah true exams can bring grades down like it did with mine but luckily it didn't by a lot. Yeah I guess so but it's annoying because they don't really explain it well of how to do something which can be frustrating by trying to figure out how to do it and emailing them etc. Anyways, I was going to say it sounds like you've already started uni, you seem so calm about it (which is good), I have no idea how it's gonna be so I feel clueless lol. Clueless and nervous haha
Reply 17
Yeah I know where Bedford is! My friend goes DMU and a few of her friends are from Milton Keynes. And aww well I've always wanted to go un and move out, like I'm so ready for it! I'm scared too, dw, but tbh I needed this change in my life. The workload and debt and living alone/sharing accommodation part will hit me like a train, but I'm painting it as a fairytale as of now lool
Original post by tashaxn
Yeah I know where Bedford is! My friend goes DMU and a few of her friends are from Milton Keynes. And aww well I've always wanted to go un and move out, like I'm so ready for it! I'm scared too, dw, but tbh I needed this change in my life. The workload and debt and living alone/sharing accommodation part will hit me like a train, but I'm painting it as a fairytale as of now lool

That's a good way to put it, I guess I'll get used to it after but I'm just hoping that this nervous and scared feelings disappears because I just wanna enjoy it and be happy and feel safe. And don't worry about the debt and stuff, they only take it when you earn over a certain amount anyway and they take it a bit at a time. Having a degree will get a job much worth much more than the debt :biggrin:
Reply 19
That's a good way to put it, I guess I'll get used to it after but I'm just hoping that this nervous and scared feelings disappears because I just wanna enjoy it and be happy and feel safe. And don't worry about the debt and stuff, they only take it when you earn over a certain amount anyway and they take it a bit at a time. Having a degree will get a job much worth much more than the debt :biggrin:

Definitely! I can't wait to start honestly :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest