The Student Room Group

could I do medicine with 5 A*s 4 As and 1 B?

just got my GCSE results and I was wondering if it is a possibility
Reply 1
Original post by birdcaller2000

Of course those grades are really good. Avoid GCSE heavy universities like Oxford, Cardiff and Birmingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whats the B in? You definitely can do medicine with those grades.
Reply 3

Yes - take a look at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4251132
thank you for the reply! do you know what universities are less crazy about GCSEs for medicine?
Original post by HopelessMedic
Whats the B in? You definitely can do medicine with those grades.

the B is in English Language :smile:
Yup! I got lower than that and I'm going to study medicine this September! Remember to apply to Unis that are less heavy on GCSEs and put more effort into the other aspects of your application! Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
the B is in English Language :smile:

Some uni's require an A/A* in English language, s make sure to avoid those ones.
Yup! I got lower than that and I'm going to study medicine this September! Remember to apply to Unis that are less heavy on GCSEs and put more effort into the other aspects of your application! Best of luck

thank you! what did u get?? and what uni are u going to??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HopelessMedic
Some uni's require an A/A* in English language, s make sure to avoid those ones.

Really!? that seems a bit silly
Just don't apply to places like:
Oxford, Birmingham, Edinburgh that are quite gcse heavy.
Still your gcse's are amazing and shouldn't really hold you back as there is a lot more than gcse grades which can make you stand out in your application
Reply 11
Depends what the B is in :smile:

EDIT: It's in English. This could be a problem since some institutions require an A/A* in both English Language and Literature.

Check the prospectuses (prospecti?) and/or ring admissions for the Universities if unsure.

The problem with Oxbridge is, in the words of one of the Fellows of Teddy Hall "if you're good enough you probably won't get in" so think carefully about where you apply with those grades.

But they're excellent so don't beat yourself up, people would kill to get those grades!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RomeoSantos
Really!? that seems a bit silly

As far as I'm aware Bham want an A* in maths, English and sciences whilst there are other uni's that require As in maths and English.
Reply 13
thank you for the reply! do you know what universities are less crazy about GCSEs for medicine?

I had similar GCSEs, and got interviews at Liverpool, Keele and HYMS :smile: you need to aim for a high UKCAT to get the best chance
Original post by spiritless98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! what were your gcse and a level results? and where did you apply and get in to? :smile:
Original post by Ezme39
I had similar GCSEs, and got interviews at Liverpool, Keele and HYMS :smile: you need to aim for a high UKCAT to get the best chance

what did you get for your gcses? and where all did you apply to for medicine? did you get in?? :smile:
Reply 16
what did you get for your gcses? and where all did you apply to for medicine? did you get in?? :smile:

I got 5A, 5A*, 1 distinction* at GCSE :smile: and at AS-level I got ABBBB

I applied to HYMS, Keele, Liverpool and Nottingham
I got interviews at HYMS, Keele and Liverpool
I got offers from HYMS and Keele
I'm now in my second year at HYMS
Of course! I got a one of my only two Bs in Language, the other being German, all about getting the best A-level grades now! See the GCSEs box as ticked, well done:]
score
Original post by Ezme39
I got 5A, 5A*, 1 distinction* at GCSE :smile: and at AS-level I got ABBBB

I applied to HYMS, Keele, Liverpool and Nottingham
I got interviews at HYMS, Keele and Liverpool
I got offers from HYMS and Keele
I'm now in my second year at HYMS

What was your ukcat score??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending