The Student Room Group

Who should I contact and how about defering a year?

Ive decided to defer a year to do some travelling.
how should i contact the university, like email or ring? and who exactly at the university should i contact?
What exactly should i say to make sure I have the best chances of them saying yes as im really worried they will say no?
If they say yes do i then need to contact ucas and student finance?
Sorry for the bombardment of questions but I really need some help :/
Original post by JohnSmith_98
Ive decided to defer a year to do some travelling.
how should i contact the university, like email or ring? and who exactly at the university should i contact?
What exactly should i say to make sure I have the best chances of them saying yes as im really worried they will say no?
If they say yes do i then need to contact ucas and student finance?
Sorry for the bombardment of questions but I really need some help :/

Hey JohnSmith, I would give the admissions office a bell - on most of the courses here we would let you defer a year to go travelling, except if you were studying something like Occupational Therapy or Social Work, so it should be relatively straight forwards.

Going travelling for a gap year can be really good - you will have the chance to experience so many cultures, attitudes, situation and ways of life that there is a real opportunity to grow and mature as a person! Where are you planning on going?

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
Have you been corresponding with someone specific in admissions? If so they're the best people to talk to. Otherwise, ring the uni and see if you can generally find out about deferring and what the process is. Then make up your mind about whether you'd like to or not. Student finance will definitely need to know. I'm not sure about UCAS or whether the uni will update it.
Reply 3
Original post by Glyndŵr University
Hey JohnSmith, I would give the admissions office a bell - on most of the courses here we would let you defer a year to go travelling, except if you were studying something like Occupational Therapy or Social Work, so it should be relatively straight forwards.

Going travelling for a gap year can be really good - you will have the chance to experience so many cultures, attitudes, situation and ways of life that there is a real opportunity to grow and mature as a person! Where are you planning on going?

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)

Thank you very much! That is excellent to hear.
I plan on doing some work with GapForce in Thailand after seeing it through UCAS, and also wish to do some travelling in South Africa and possibly America!
My only concern is the judgement of those around me. Most people I know think I should get stuck straight in to university, but travel is something I have always known I wanted to do, so grabbing what might be my last year to have such an opportunity and not be tied down to any education or work seems like the best option to me!
Reply 4
I cannot find the admissions contact details for my University (Lincoln). But I have come across an adjustment hotline. Is this just the same?
Original post by JohnSmith_98
I cannot find the admissions contact details for my University (Lincoln). But I have come across an adjustment hotline. Is this just the same?

"Applicant Enquiries

UK Enquiries
+44 (0)1522 886644"

https://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/contacts/

Google is your best friend

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending