The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Guys i passed 1st time with 20 lessons soooo happy ;d
Original post by Biryani007
I'm really bad at approaching tight spaces with oncoming traffic, not realising I've got to stop for the car coming towards me to safely get out of the way...my instructor quickly brakes for me all the time :facepalm2:

I feel like Im going to be such a bad driver (if I pass that is) :/

How many lessons have you had?
Original post by im.a.witch

Congrats! did you have 20 hours? Any private practice?

Wow that's amazing, congratulations!!! Were they single hour lessons?

Original post by cherryred90s
How many lessons have you had?

Ive had 16 hours; I feel as though I should be much better for the number of lessons Ive had :/

Oh well done:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really bad at approaching tight spaces with oncoming traffic, not realising I've got to stop for the car coming towards me to safely get out of the way...my instructor quickly brakes for me all the time :facepalm2:

I'll drive next time don't worry..just kiddin you'll get used to it soon :tongue:
Original post by cherryred90s
Congrats! did you have 20 hours? Any private practice?

yeah 20 hours and I haad some private practice in the last week before my exam :smile:

I am still like that ! And ive passed my test don't worry. I think its about knowing the width of your car, im sure in years to come we will get used to it ;P
Original post by Angry Bird
I'll drive next time don't worry..just kiddin you'll get used to it soon :tongue:

Haha, I hope so :ninja:

I am still like that ! And ive passed my test don't worry. I think its about knowing the width of your car, im sure in years to come we will get used to it ;P

Thank you for the encouragement, I really hope so! You've done brilliantly to pass - well done! :biggrin:
11 years, 4 driving instructors, one failure (2008), finally passed today (8.20), with 3 minors. I am so overjoyed and relieved. My examiner was so lovely, she made me feel at ease throughout the test, which helped me tremendously .:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by zoeelizabeth
I feel like an idiot learning to drive. I've had over 50 lessons now and I still get anxious about driving. I started crying during my lesson yesterday because I was so stressed. The thing is, I can normally learn to do new things fairly quickly, but with driving it is completely different. I get so frustrated, and I've got my practical in September but I think I will cancel it and get my money back.

I feel the same way completely!
Before every lesson, I become so nervous/anxious even though I'm used to driving, it's really annoying me!
Original post by Trapped
11 years, 4 driving instructors, one failure (2008), finally passed today (8.20), with 3 minors. I am so overjoyed and relieved. My examiner was so lovely, she made me feel at ease throughout the test, which helped me tremendously .:biggrin::biggrin:

Well done :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am struggling with manoeuvres mostly - especially reversing round a cornor or into a space because I always want to look in the rear mirror but my instructor keeps on saying I need to look out of the back window. The thing is I feel like I can't see anything out of the back window; not the curb or the bottom of the car behind and it really hurts my back and neck to turn around and steer at the same time. I'm sure I can actually see a lot more just looking out the rear window and would find it easier to reverse this way, but my instructor says I will fail the test if I don't look out the back window. Seems pointless when I can't see anything. I don't know whether it's because I'm too low down, but he raised my seat right up yesterday and it still didn't make a difference.

Anyone else had this problem?
Reply 553

Original post by Trapped

Well done guys! Very happy for you both and wish you all the best with your lifetime of driving ahead of you :h: :hugs:
Original post by Spock's Socks
Well done guys! Very happy for you both and wish you all the best with your lifetime of driving ahead of you :h: :hugs:

Aww thank you ! <3 I was lucky too my examiner was lovely :smile: xx
Original post by Ellismall
I am struggling with manoeuvres mostly - especially reversing round a cornor or into a space because I always want to look in the rear mirror but my instructor keeps on saying I need to look out of the back window. The thing is I feel like I can't see anything out of the back window; not the curb or the bottom of the car behind and it really hurts my back and neck to turn around and steer at the same time. I'm sure I can actually see a lot more just looking out the rear window and would find it easier to reverse this way, but my instructor says I will fail the test if I don't look out the back window. Seems pointless when I can't see anything. I don't know whether it's because I'm too low down, but he raised my seat right up yesterday and it still didn't make a difference.

Hey I used to just look in the rear window and my instructor used to get really pissed off with me coz I didn't look in the back window. I think it just shows good observation. Do it for your test then develop your own safe method :smile:

Don't worry your doing great :P
Original post by Ellismall

I know you may find it annoying but get into good practice of looking out of the back window when performing a manoeuvre then the examiner won't have any reason to fail you/give you a minor :redface:! But you'll be fine :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the moment it's approaching junctions as I tend not to slow down quick enough, also road positioning something I need to work on aha :tongue: Getting there though, starting to grow in confidence more since I resumed driving lessons earlier this year :smile:
Turning at junctions really confuses me...What do I do with the clutch? If I'm in second gear, I slow down and then turn if it's clear without touching the clutch or I'd be coasting, right? But if I stop and move off again in first gear, I need to release the clutch and give gas as I'm turning? Is this right?
Original post by typicalvirgo
Turning at junctions really confuses me...What do I do with the clutch? If I'm in second gear, I slow down and then turn if it's clear without touching the clutch or I'd be coasting, right? But if I stop and move off again in first gear, I need to release the clutch and give gas as I'm turning? Is this right?

You use your brake and clutch to stop at the give way line. Whilst your foot is still on clutch, you change into first gear. When you're ready to move off, slowly release the clutch and use a bit of gas until you've completed the turn. As you completely release the clutch, you'll apply more gas and then go back up to whichever gear is appropriate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending