The Student Room Group

My teacher lied to me, what do I do now?

My German teacher told ME that I was COMFORTABLY on an A* in my writing and speaking controlled assessments and that I didn't need to retake any of the CAUs as I was doing so well.

She also told my class that she went on a course to help with marking our CAUs. She said that all the scripts she marked she got spot on grade-wise.

So I got my results today... I got a C overall in German. I GOT A C GRADE. In fact, my CAUs were a B grade and a D grade?! I was told specifically that I was COMFORTABLY on an A*. That would mean, even if the grade boundaries were raised, I'd still have an A* as I was COMFORTABLY on an A*. I'm fuming. Is it worth talking to the Academy about this?
Original post by L0st45
My German teacher told ME that I was COMFORTABLY on an A* in my writing and speaking controlled assessments and that I didn't need to retake any of the CAUs as I was doing so well.

She also told my class that she went on a course to help with marking our CAUs. She said that all the scripts she marked she got spot on grade-wise.

So I got my results today... I got a C overall in German. I GOT A C GRADE. In fact, my CAUs were a B grade and a D grade?! I was told specifically that I was COMFORTABLY on an A*. That would mean, even if the grade boundaries were raised, I'd still have an A* as I was COMFORTABLY on an A*. I'm fuming. Is it worth talking to the Academy about this?

This is really unfortunate, and it really annoys me when this happens. In the end, there's nothing that can be done. Often, tbh, it's the teacher marking incorrectly. The teacher didn't really lie to you, they just, likely, misinterpreted the markscheme. I'm sorry that this happened :frown: Maybe ask if you can redo your controlled assessments?
Go slap that nuisance! :giggle:
Original post by L0st45

Language exams often get unexpected results unfortunately. Not much you can do about it.
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
This is really unfortunate, and it really annoys me when this happens. In the end, there's nothing that can be done. Often, tbh, it's the teacher marking incorrectly. The teacher didn't really lie to you, they just, likely, misinterpreted the markscheme. I'm sorry that this happened :frown: Maybe ask if you can redo your controlled assessments?

I'm gutted! I know this doesn't just affect me because my whole class are probably going through the same as me, but it's purely the fact I was reassured I had a "comfortable" A*. If she told me I had an A grade and it was actually a B grade, I'd understand, but to be reassured I had an A* and end up with a B and a D, I just can't believe it. I know she didn't lie to me as such, but I just don't understand how she can make such a huge mistake. She has thirteen years experience and has taught at our school for seven, how do you make such a misinterpretation of the mark scheme still?
Reply 5
Original post by RomeoSantos
Language exams often get unexpected results unfortunately. Not much you can do about it.

Yeah I'm sure they do. It's such a shame though. It's the only exam which I got a C in. Oh well, life goes on.
Reply 6
Original post by JourneyToSuccess
Go slap that nuisance! :giggle:

I LOVE this response. :giggle:
Original post by L0st45
I'm gutted! I know this doesn't just affect me because my whole class are probably going through the same as me, but it's purely the fact I was reassured I had a "comfortable" A*. If she told me I had an A grade and it was actually a B grade, I'd understand, but to be reassured I had an A* and end up with a B and a D, I just can't believe it. I know she didn't lie to me as such, but I just don't understand how she can make such a huge mistake. She has thirteen years experience and has taught at our school for seven, how do you make such a misinterpretation of the mark scheme still?

I honestly don't know. Maybe it was a harsh moderator, although I doubt it'd go down that much due to harshness. Did you see her on results day, and ask what happened?
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
I honestly don't know. Maybe it was a harsh moderator, although I doubt it'd go down that much due to harshness. Did you see her on results day, and ask what happened?

I'd hate to think how harsh the moderator was! I mean harsh moderation was the first thing to come to my mind, but I don't understand how they can downgrade students that much? Unfortunately she didn't make an appearance at results day, so I've not had a chance to speak to her, I'm joining our school's Sixth Form however so I might go and speak to her on the first day back.
Original post by L0st45
I'd hate to think how harsh the moderator was! I mean harsh moderation was the first thing to come to my mind, but I don't understand how they can downgrade students that much? Unfortunately she didn't make an appearance at results day, so I've not had a chance to speak to her, I'm joining our school's Sixth Form however so I might go and speak to her on the first day back.

Happened to my class recently with edexcel. Not fair at all.
Reply 10

I'm on Edexcel too, it's awfully unfair.
Reply 11

Mine too! We all got at least two grades lower in coursework than we were predicted with Edexcel. Mine was A levels but still, weird
Original post by L0st45
I'm on Edexcel too, it's awfully unfair.

yeah when a whole group of A/A* students end up getting Bs and Cs its pretty silly
Reply 13
Original post by kmcg97
Mine too! We all got at least two grades lower in coursework than we were predicted with Edexcel. Mine was A levels but still, weird

I'm Edexcel too, this does seem a little weird...
Original post by kmcg97

same A level spanish
You'll live.

Quick Reply

Latest