The Student Room Group

Bad GCSEs but good A-levels

Hey, guys! Do you think it is possible to get into Oxford if my GCSE grades are - A*A*A*AAAAAABB and A-level predictions are - A*A*A*A*? Or should i think about GCSE resits?
It absolutely isn't possible, sorry.
Your GCSEs aren't 'bad'………. If you achieve that, then of course you have every chance. Stop being so hard on yourself, it's not good for you.
Reply 3
Depends what course you want to apply to.
It completely depends on the course and ultimately goes down to ALevels
Original post by Molly1357
Hey, guys! Do you think it is possible to get into Oxford if my GCSE grades are - A*A*A*AAAAAABB and A-level predictions are - A*A*A*A*? Or should i think about GCSE resits?

If you have promising A-levels then GCSEs don't matter, because obviously, the offer is made on 3 AS levels.

The only place you may possibly fall down in is the actual application process. If there are two applicants with the same (high) grades, then GCSEs become the point of comparison, which is where you may miss out.

I would advise that you try to make up for the Bs, with work experience or whatever is appropriate and do your best to meet your predictions.
Good luck
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
It absolutely isn't possible, sorry.

i know fellow students from my school who got into Oxford with 4A*, 3A and 3B, but worked hard at AS and A level, oxford are looking for students who can prove that they are capable of succeeding in the long term, if they identify improvement in grades then of course they will consider your application
Reply 7
Can someone give me advice too?
I got: 2A*s 6As and 4Bs. I'm gonna get 3 subjects remarked as I was 3 marks, 2 marks and 1 mark off of an A.Is there any point of even applying to get into Oxford in future? Or should I just move on? I went to a state school and got one of the best results in the year. Does that strengthen my case? I'm willing to work very hard to get good A Levels.
Original post by connormc199
shut up you dickhead, the results are good, i know fellow students from my school who got into Oxford with 4A*, 3A and 3B, but worked hard at AS and A level, oxford are looking for students who can prove that they are capable of succeeding in the long term, if they identify improvement in grades then of course they will consider your application

I think he was being sarcastic......
Reply 9
shut up you dickhead, the results are good, i know fellow students from my school who got into Oxford with 4A*, 3A and 3B, but worked hard at AS and A level, oxford are looking for students who can prove that they are capable of succeeding in the long term, if they identify improvement in grades then of course they will consider your application

Lmao, he was being sarcastic..... do you know how many of these types of threads have been made?

Of course it's possible...
Original post by eden3
Lmao, he was being sarcastic..... do you know how many of these types of threads have been made?

Of course it's possible...

the very subtle italics at the bottom though :toofunny:
Reply 11
Original post by rosemondtan
the very subtle italics at the bottom though :toofunny:

:u:

Spoiler

i know fellow students from my school who got into Oxford with 4A*, 3A and 3B, but worked hard at AS and A level, oxford are looking for students who can prove that they are capable of succeeding in the long term, if they identify improvement in grades then of course they will consider your application

My close friend got into medicine at Cambridge with 1 A*, I'm well aware of contextual circumstances :p: I just find threads like this tilting because there's a thousand of them and kids post the same threads every single year without fail on results day. Chances are if you went to a good school and only got those grades you aren't getting a 4A* prediction for A2 in any case.

Oh and if you went to a good school, no those results aren't good. Facts.

Original post by eden3
:u:

Spoiler

These kids fam smh :colonhash: This is why I stay in the nba thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
My close friend got into medicine at Cambridge with 1 A*, I'm well aware of contextual circumstances :p: I just find threads like this tilting because there's a thousand of them and kids post the same threads every single year without fail on results day. Chances are if you went to a good school and only got those grades you aren't getting a 4A* prediction for A2 in any case.

Oh and if you went to a good school, no those results aren't good. Facts.

These kids fam smh :colonhash: This is why I stay in the nba thread.

THANK YOU, jeez someone who gets it

:lol: looooooool I don't blame you G

Quick Reply

Latest