The Student Room Group

can I get into a target uni with 5 A*s 4As 3Bs.

This good enough for a target uni like LSE?
They're fairly inconsequential.

What you need are fantastic AS-level grades and a brilliant Personal Statement. If you have already found your choice of course go and start reading advanced literature on the subject, and certainly find some relevant work-experience/volunteering opportunities.
Reply 2
I remember thread after thread about this years ago.

In short, it's a bad signal. Most people at LSE have 8-10 A* at GCSE. Now, whether LSE actively discriminates via GCSEs is not clear. They probably don't, every year there are people getting in with your kind of GCSEs - but fact remains that they are in the minority. They may discriminate, or people with 10A* GCSEs might just overall be better candidates in their eyes and the 10 vs 5 A* is just a result of that.

I would not give up hope, just do amazingly in your AS, maybe add some ECs and write a killer PS.

ps, I somehow find it sad that kids at 16 immediately after results day go online to see if it's enough for "target" unis. There is something wrong with the system...
Reply 3
Original post by ihatehannah

Yes.
Original post by inhuman
I remember thread after thread about this years ago.

In short, it's a bad signal. Most people at LSE have 8-10 A* at GCSE. Now, whether LSE actively discriminates via GCSEs is not clear. They probably don't, every year there are people getting in with your kind of GCSEs - but fact remains that they are in the minority. They may discriminate, or people with 10A* GCSEs might just overall be better candidates in their eyes and the 10 vs 5 A* is just a result of that.

I would not give up hope, just do amazingly in your AS, maybe add some ECs and write a killer PS.

ps, I somehow find it sad that kids at 16 immediately after results day go online to see if it's enough for "target" unis. There is something wrong with the system...

I agree tbh..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

ugh ok I'll smash my AS levels then and hope for the best, So what you saying is my chances SO FAR in getting into LSE is very slim.
Original post by Princepieman

I mean I do not want to apply to a incredibly over subscribed course like econ, just maybe stats and finance
ugh ok I'll smash my AS levels then and hope for the best, So what you saying is my chances SO FAR in getting into LSE is very slim.

Everyone has a slim chance at LSE/Oxbridge because of the sheer number of applicants..

But I agreed with the bit about the first thing you do is coming on here to ask if your GCSE grades are good enough for a target.. Bit overeager tbh, you've still got a year til you have to apply.

You didn't even mention the subject/course either..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

I knew someone who got into LSE for Econ and economic history with 3/4 A*, but he had AAAB at AS level and had a great ps. Do that and you'll have a decent chance.
If you can take AS-Levels then definitely take them and try to do well on them.

Since AS-Levels are being reformed then there is probably an increased importance on GCSEs as there won't be many statistics on reformed as-levels and a lot of schools won't even do them.

However, I belibe that some target Uni's like cambridge are not hugely bothered by GCSEs and more interested in A-Levels.

However, the fact that you only got 5A*s at GCSE means that you really have to change something about the way you work if you want to get into a target Uni. Because other people who will get into those Uni's will likely have found GCSEs to be very straightforward.
Reply 10
Kids these days tho. I wasn't even thinking about university choices on GCSE results day. Hardly did until near the end of Year 12.
I say, only three years older.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending